What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain Suggestions

dkmonk

Hello. I've grown before using CFLs but I'm going to upgrade to a 250w HPS. I'm still going to veg them under CFLs, but I'm going to be growing at least two very LSTed, supercropped, bushy plants in 3 gallon containers.

I will veg them for at least a month or two, to get them very branchy, and I will tie down the branches, to get a nice canopy.

Anyway, what is the average yield I should expect with a 250w HPS? I'm going to get the best Hortilux bulb as well btw.

See, I'd rather grow a small number of large plants, than a large number of small plants, so please don't suggest doing a SOG. I can train a single plant to have many main colas, so each plant will basically be a SOG.

Now here's where I need your help. I'd prefer a strain that takes no longer than 9 weeks to flower. Preferably 7-8, but I'm not too picky. I just don't want something that takes forever.

While yield is important, as long as it's a decent yield, I'd prefer potency over yield. So for instance, if "strain A yields 1lb, and is a mild high" and "strain B yields QP but is very potent/tasty" I'd rather go with a more quality plant, than a higher yielding one.

As for the high, I'd prefer it to be a nice hybrid. You know the kind where you get a pretty zoney/blazed sativa high as well as a body high, but not couchlock.

So are there any strains that you guys can recommend for getting the most out of the 250w hps? Also what is an average yield for 2 large (well bushy, and under 1' in veg) plants under a 250w hps?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

dkmonk

Oh I forgot to mention... obviously it will have an odor, but I'd prefer it to not have some overwhelming smell you know? So something with a low odor, or a non-traditional MJ smell would be preferable.

Also, something that is easy to grow, and not picky when it comes to feedings, etc...

Also, preferably something that has a fruity, floral, or citrus taste. Nothing unpleasant.

TheBEAK

How about White Satin from Mandala?

- Medium hight
- Low odor
- God for small lights
- Good yield

A friend of mine just harvested around 150 grams from a 250W hps.
One of the strains in his cab was White Satin.

From Mandala's description:
WHITE SATIN

Type: indica-sativa
Contains land race genetics from: North India (Punjab)
Cultivation: indoor/outdoor
Flowering time: 65 days/September-October
Recommended Light: 400W/m2
Yield: 400-500 gr/m2 (dry weight)
Aroma: sweet-fruity bouquet with a touch of apricot
High: a potent, up-high that leaves you clear-headed yet wonderfully stoned; recommended as “leasure and pleasure” cannabis; physically stimulating.
Potency: 7/10; no nervous side-effects (racy heart, etc.); suitable for regular med users.
Medical potential: this strain shows potential against anxiety and depression.

This robust variety is a good choice for the novice gardener and experienced grower alike. She combines power, quality, and flexibility with a relatively short flowering time. White Satin is made for easy growing... you can plant and harvest with a minimum of effort. The main flowering power is located on the central stem, but also the side shoots deliver quality “nuggets”. White Satin has proven to be very versatile for Sea of Green or SCROG (Screen of Green) methods and performs well under low light conditions ( fluorescent, CFL, 250W NDL). Her medium height, good yield, and well-balanced intensive high have made her a popular variety for indoor. The aroma of the flowering plants is unobtrusive and low which makes this strain an interesting choice for stealth grows. Outdoor most plants will finish end of September in southern latitudes. In extreme northern climates expect to harvest mid October or later. White Satin can develop an extremely large and dense main cola, so it’s a good idea to keep humidity between 35-50%, and night time temperature not below 20°C, as a prevention to mold. Check the head buds at least once before harvest if they are very fat, or if you have constant high humidity in your grow space. The plants with the highest resin output will cover many leaves with trichomes and provide an extra treat for hash enthusiasts.

dkmonk

Thanks for the advice, i looked them up and they are pretty cheap. Keep on coming w/ the suggestions because i will need more than 1 strain.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, I would say, for something along those line try

TH Seeds S.A.G.E.

The name says it all! Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium, a well balanced Haze crossed with a robust Indica that produces a power packed plant with over 20% THC. Fast becoming a legend, S.A.G.E. took 2nd place in the blind test of the 2001 High Times Cannabis Cup. Also the hash made out of this plant won 1st place in 2000, both of these victories were based on overall strength and quality. High THC and low C.B.D. make this plant a perfect head stash variety. Spicy sandalwood flavor combined with a long lasting and uplifting high make this the plant for those who must have the best. Longer flowering time is rewarded with large buds that will seem to double in size in the last few weeks.
Flowering Time: Indoor 70 - 77 days
Approx Yield: 300 - 350 grams per square meter
Height: 120 - 140 cm

I guess it isn't a fruity type..."spicy sandalwood" but the rest really seems to fit your needs

dkmonk

Sage sounds really nice a little expensive but sounds what we are looking for, maybe something w/ less flower time and more yeild.

sativo

I think I read that if you really want main colas everywhere you should have plants everywhere, something about side-branches not really being colas or something. Good luck with the SCROG.

dkmonk

Well by LST the plants it will be basically like main colas everywhere, especially the amount of time we are going to veg.

MCMC

Doont forget jack

Doont forget jack

Jack The Ripper is POTENT 8~9 week hazy sativa with the most incredible lemon smell. outrageous, I swear one of the best you will try! The taste is sweeter than the smell. Not a Huge yielder. I think Jacks Cleaner 2 "the deuce" is a bigger yielder, but I haven't had the pleasure of tasting her just yet.
JTR doesn't smell like bud while growing either. Not the typical weed smell. It is also very uniform.
Paranoia is expected every time if you overindulge. Which I do since it tastes as sweet as lemonade after a few week cure. Fresh buds are more citrusy.
I promise you wont be disappointed.

ripOG

sativo said:
I think I read that if you really want main colas everywhere you should have plants everywhere, something about side-branches not really being colas or something. Good luck with the SCROG.

Yeah i agree. Lots of branching is not the same thing as colas. But I see what he means..

Latest posts

Latest posts