What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to give up on seeds?

G

I planted 10 Safari Mix and 5 GN freebies. I sowed them directly into MG Potting Mix in 2" seed starting pots. I watered them using nothing but steam distilled water. Kept them under two CFL's with temps from ~65f -78f. The top seemed to be getting a bit dry after 36 hours, so I moistened them all with my turkey baster. After 48 hours no sign of the first sprout.
I feel that it may be the cooler temps at night could possible be delaying the sprout. So, I moved them into my flower chamber where the temp is ~85f-90f and RH ~50.

I see many folks talk about 24 hour sprouting, especially those using Mandala seeds. When is the point I should feel that my seeds have failed me, or visa/versa?

Anything apparent that I may be doing wrong?
I've always been able to sprout bag seed by simply looking at them.

dkmonk

After 3 months. You would be surprised how late some seeds sprout especially out doors.

Nice to see another hoosier, you planting outdoors anytime soon?
I can't wait to start my outdoor crop.

Last edited:

Storm Crow

Veteran
Don't give up yet!

Don't give up yet!

I dumped some planter mix that I had tried to grow in and weeks later, the hubby found a tiny sprout in the flower bed! After razzing me about it, we transplanted "Oopsie" into a pot and brought it in. Sadly, "Ooopsie" was male and died a premature death. - Granny

G

Sorry to hear about Ooopsie's demise, granny.

Wow, that is a long time to germinate FreezerBoy. Are you dealing with any cooler temp issues? I can't help but think that the cooler nights, which my cab in the garage sees, are slowing things down.

Hey, dkmunk! I was a nervous wreck all last summer. And probably will be this one too. Just not in hoosierland, that's for sure. :canabis:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
When the top of the soil dries off it doesn't always mean the middle and bottom are dried. One easy way to kill seeds before they even have a chance to sprout is to keep them too wet, then they'll just rot.

Latest posts

Latest posts