What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What the he** happenned to my seedling outside?

sativo

Okay, I left three seedlings outdoors in 12/12, they had enough water and good soil, just like the ones I have inside, the only difference was these were outside and the ones inside are doing fantastic! So I went to the field today and all the new growth was yellow and burnt! Infact, I'm sure they're dead. Like I said, same soil and water just outside instead of in, what happenned? :puppydoge

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
how old were they?
how cold was it?
and where exactly did you plant them?

1. it's better if they are older. the older the better. a good strong root system is needed.
2. cold = death
3. if they didn't get enough sun...that explains it. dark places aren't good, but getting a sudden taste of the full force of the sun isn't that good either. a little at a time until they are used to it.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
could have been a nasty bug too. or an animal peed on them and burn the heck out of them. the big outdoors always throws surprises like those, hehehe... outdoor growing, love it.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
PazVerdeRadical said:
could have been a nasty bug too. or an animal peed on them and burn the heck out of them. the big outdoors always throws surprises like those, hehehe... outdoor growing, love it.
yes gotta love the outdoor growing. Mother nature will toss you lots of curve balls.

Ulysses

What are the temps where you're at??? Several weeks or even better several months of indoor veg is my secret to success outdoors...

green-genes77

Veteran
This is a little old, but hopefully someone will read it and apply the knowledge. I am almost certain that these were burnt to a crisp because they were not hardened off (ie., acclimated to UV) before being placed out. If you can't harden off then shade for the first week or transplant during an extended period of cloudy, cool weather. Word.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Nickmode: you get some rep. just for your funny ass avatar. The combination of bong hits and seeing that made me almost hack up a lung....in either case...I definitely fell off my chair.

As far as the outdoor seedlings are concerned: I'm not entirely certain that UV would kill them...it's more likely that some animal took a giant pee and the pH changed radically. That'll burn alright. It's not too late to put cuttings out of the stuff you have inside or other beans outdoors. Do yourself a favor and put some barrier around it this time: chickenwire.....fencing...etc.

sativo

LAT is like 25 north of the equator, my theory on what happenned is that it rained and the acid rain from this city burned them alive.

Ajunta Pall

You didn't harden them off did you. The sun's light can be very intense on indoor grown seedlings. Leaving them in the sun too long can burn the leaves as much as leaving them too close to an hid light.
Wind drys out indoor plants too. Putting plants out in windy conditions can wilt them in a couple hours.

The next time you put out your indoor plants only leave them outside for a couple an hours a day for about a week or so until they can handle the rigors of outdoor living. When you first put them out do so in the shade for the first couple days. After that you can start leaving them out in the sun for longer peroids of time.
When watering your plants while hardening them off- let them go to the point of wilting before watering them again. This will condition the plant to be able to survive when there are longer periods between waterings.

Latest posts

Latest posts