What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

why so many bad reports on chronic?

G

I do not know why i hear so many bad thinks like no smell or no flavor bad high.
whats up with that?
i have grown out 5 seeds from chronic and let me tell you its not that bad .i kinda love it.sweet smell one of grape jelly and the other of limes.the high on the lime smelling pheno is the best high.sativa with some body almost like a regular smoke i would smoke every day.not like the kalimist .the kali will put a hurting on the everyday smoker.something for the weekend and specials.i have a few that smoked it and said that they almost went to the ER.has good yield.i am think in of using it in a c99 cross.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
It the first time i've heard that chronic has no potency or flavour,if you ask me its 1 of the sweetest tasting knockout stoning high yielding hybrid's i've had the pleasure of growing.I use a non-dom sativa leaning chronic male in a few of my hybrids and thay've all turned out to be really nice..

G

to me its what some one would describe a good northern lights.one pheno i have its now smelling like a good pine smell and taste but some say it losses its smell or flavor if not dried right.they dried fast and locked in the flavor.and now they are curing .i am glade i took clones from the lime smelling pheno its the best .

T

The_Skunkist

I can confirm , chronics have good taste . But the high is a little bit short on some phenos (sativa for my xp ) . But very great producer ...

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
I grew 9 very homogenus females a year or two ago. I did several runs trying different phenos, canna and then metrop nutrient, and curing both simons way and normal slow cure in jars.
They showed incredible vigor and rooted fast, buds a little too dense and large for my liking, prone too mould unless you are very careful.
Contrary to Simons advice, I found it was nice at 2 months slow cure. By then it developed quite a good flavour when smoked but the buds never had any real sniff apeal, slightly fuel tinged but you had to make an effort, like you were straining your nose to notice it.
done the way simon said, thoroughly dry before storing just locked in the green/hay smell imo and prevented the curing process from alowing flavour and aroma to develop.

I'm curious to know who found Simons method work better than a propoer slow cure in jars?

G

thats what i did dried it fast like 4 days .then put in jars and added a moist cotton ball
becues it was to dry. now it just right for the cure..

MedResearcher

Veteran
Grand daddy purple is: Purple Urkle x Big Bud

Normally, Big Bud is not that great. It has a bad reputation like Chronic. Big producer, poor taste, smell, and high.

Although once it was crossed with Purple Urkle, BAM :rasta:

I think you could make a ton of nice Chronic crosses that people would really enjoy, the GDP craze was and is pretty intense lol

Chronic x Deep Chunk

Chronic x Purple Urkle

Chronic x OG Kush

not sure if someone has done any of those, but they seem like they would be killer smoke and producers
:joint:

Some of these crosses I see lately sort of seem a bit funny to me. I dont want to come off negative they all look great and any cross that anyone puts effort into is positive energy, although alot of the crosses are like 2 great strains that have strong looks, smell, taste, high. Alone they are already great strains and in the cross they aren't attempting to improve on anything they are just mixing stuff up and crossing there fingers. When in retrospect they could have crossed one of the great strains, with a more unique different/not so great strain and got something totally different, unique, or possibly improved. For instance Train Wreck, (Afghan x Mexican x Columbian) an excellent cross although most Mexicans alone typically aren't that great but it added something making Train Wreck superb. :rant:

Anyways what I'm trying to say is Chronic is a very unique strain because of its gigantic bud formations and yields, I think it can be great breeding stock. Especially against some of these super strains that dont yield much.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
The chronic females i've grown out in the past have been some of the nicest plants i've ever grown out,good heavy stone, great yields and real sweet flavour,what more could you ask for.I think growers who say chronic is shit have either grown it badly or got the seeds/clones secondhand or from someone/were dodgy.

Spaventa

Veteran
If we were talking about bubblegum or AK, then you may have had a point but we are talking about Chronic. If you think its great, thats great for you. My dad loves that cheap beer thats £1.99 for a 4 pack, wheras to me its like fizzy piss...each to their own. I reserve words like fruity or tasty for stuff that realy is, like my C99, or cheese, Apollo 11.
I'd suggest you try some different strains, then tell me Chronic is tasty.
I and a couple of grower friends grew that comersh to its fullest potential and beyond (cured some for 4 months and it was no better, worse maybe) its a yielder, end of.
If yours is so different maybe yours ain't the real bullshit deal and you got given something decent lol

G

the seeds are from serious seeds.and it hase a good flavor and the smoke is of tthe every day smoke and stuff like c99,kalimist my sdxogbx1 is in flower now and that has a strong smell and i think will be some tasty smoke.but if i have a lime smelling tasting pheno i think crossing it to c99would add to chronics smell and tast and jack c99 up in weight and stronger stems.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I love Chronic! No elites in my area, so I can't compare it to any of them, but whatever, if you don't like it don't buy it I guess, no problems there, gives me a better chance of scoring a pack. The Bay seems to sell out of them b-4 they're re-stocked so they can't be that bad?!

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
I think maybe different batches produce different plants, some better than others.I got mine in 2006, It wasn't a bad selection, they were all lookylikeys and finished around 62 - 65 days.

One was a bit more potent smelling so I tryed out for a third run of 32 clones and the yield and quality of the harvestr was fantastic - Massive buds, huge calyxs, loads of resin, easy trimming. I ran Canna Boost on them and cured half as per simon says and cured half for a few weeks but although better, the smell and taste weren't to my satisfaction. It faintly smelt like fuel but pretty tasteless so that was the end of it.
Glad you guys found better phenos though...

sourchronic

Sour diesel and chronic

Sour diesel and chronic

I love the high of chronic..
My cross of sd ibl and my lemon chronic female
is really good.. potent.. tasty...
looking for a more chronic leaning pheno..
may take a chronic male and breed that back in to the
sd ibl/chronic cross.

anyways chronic is goooooooood

AriesXX

I was one of the growers who didn't like the Chronic. I only grew 10, so I guess you can take that with a grain of salt. I didn't get any that smelled good, almost all had a 'sesame seed' aroma that I get every now and then in other Indicas (I have one right now from an Afghooey cross). It seems to need a longer veg time and lots of direct light, anywhere but right under the lights and they don't seem to grow right. They were also more sensitive than average to over-watering/N deficiencies. Same observations about low-smell/nasty smell after a short cure.

I grew these out a year ago, and I've thought about ordering another pack and running them again just to see if I could get better results, but for the same money there are other more interesting strains to buy.

I was growing 5 strains that grow, I think, and I had GREAT results with everything else. So, even though you could chalk this one up to grower error, my other results tell me it was the strain. I was much happier with the Mikado F2s I got as freebies :D I would tell growers if you can only run 1 or 2 strains, or only a few plants, pick another strain, but that's just my opinion.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
AriesXX said:
I was one of the growers who didn't like the Chronic. I only grew 10, so I guess you can take that with a grain of salt. I didn't get any that smelled good, almost all had a 'sesame seed' aroma that I get every now and then in other Indicas (I have one right now from an Afghooey cross). It seems to need a longer veg time and lots of direct light, anywhere but right under the lights and they don't seem to grow right. They were also more sensitive than average to over-watering/N deficiencies. Same observations about low-smell/nasty smell after a short cure.

What he said, and pretty much all the rest of you, Chronic is a high yielding strain that can often seem very bland.... however a few of you mention finding some or all of your Chronics being excellent smokes, this is what I recently found.

Having pretty much this very same conversation with a UK grower mate 6 months ago, he mentioned that XXXXX the "Boffin" amongst his group of grower friends was pumping out consistently pukka Chronic, significantly better than the light green fluffmonster we usually saw.

Could it be some other factors ? Others as well as myself clearly respect Simon's work at Serious Seeds, he even gives explicit advice re curing this strain, yet AFAIK, has not mentioned this up and down quality experience.

Could it be related to Nutrients, Environment or even just down to this particular plant only achieving full potency in the last few days of flowering ?

tighT

I bought an oz of chronic in L.A. back in the day and when i smoked a full J, it would put me to sleep. Is this correct for the high? Or was i sold something else, and told that it was chronic?

G

Ive heard varying reports on the Chronic, with negative reports seemingly more prevelant for whatever reason. Serious Seeds has great stock.