What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making cages to keep animals away from plants

potty1

Hi aker
I think in ground with soils you make good.
Chicken shit pellets cheap for vegging
Fish blood bone for top dress for flowering.

aker

U already tried this method? Where are u living?
Why a lot of peoples dont put in the ground, but only on big cup about 20l ?

badmf

I found a solar electric fence(HD), I have had problems with racoons, as they can dis-assemble any cage, I didn't want to poison em, so this fence when fully charged should deter them I am also adding pred piss Wolve and Mountain Lion, if you use this add it last as you won't want to work after a good whiff, lol.

:woohoo:

The Revolution

Veteran
I skimped this year and reused a length of chicken wire fencing i used the the previous years veggie garden. The fencing had a cpl of small holes I thought I had patched up well. Apparently not, since I just visited my plot of 300+ seedlings I just put in the last cpl weeks and Ive got two small sprouts growing, the rest are eaten or dumped out and dug up! Im fucking irritated beyond measure. Many of these seedlings were the last of certain varieties I had in stock. Im going to the hardware store tonight, and Im buying another roll of chicken wire/fencing. Im going to use three layers of fencing if I have to! whatever i have left, I will use to reinforce the fencing I just laid out. I always bury down about 6-8" of fencing into the earth to keep the little satanic bastards from burrowing into my seedling haven. Im really worried IM getting way too late of a start now, and wont be worth my investment at this point! Ive been planning this grow for the last year, and Im really counting on a nice haul this fall! Its very tedious to keep each variety seperated during germ period, and keep each pot marked individually. I think Im just gna say fuck it and plant whatever i have, without worrying about labeling, and making seeds this season. I need a nice harvest at the end of the season, and the extra time it takes to label and seperate everything may be limiting my already limited free time for planting.. Man im so aggravated. I have taken 3 seasons off now, and Its like im a total noob again. I cant even get a plot of seedlings going without them being eaten. Back to the basics!!!
Wish me luck with this next round, I cant afford to keep feeding the swamp critters my seeds! Any advice or well wishes would be appreciated! Thanks guys

potty1

Shit luck man.
I do each plant in its own cage, so far so good
Chicken wire won't stop slugs and snails though and I need to get out and refresh mine ad it's rained alot since plant out. .hell mine may be the same as yours...*grabs camo jacket*

The Revolution

Veteran
Planting 200-300 plants at a time, its hard to do each individually. I like to do large outdoor grows, and it would be even more tedious to do each cage perplant. I quadrant off a large diameter circle of cage, and sprout seeds in solo beer cups. Once theyre sexed theyre repotted in large tree pots, smart pots, or go into the ground. Males are move away to their own seperate garden to collect pollen, and observe later in flower.

St. Phatty

I've been making cages all summer, for garden plants other than cannabis.

I find the deer are very impressive. If there are plants in an area, like sunflowers, a 4 1/2 foot fence will not stop them.

I was thinking about putting up a 6 foot fence and setting up a camera to film their late night high-jumping parties.

In the mean-time, I am on my 2nd 100 foot roll of chicken wire mesh. I make rolls and stake those to the ground, so it's about 3 feet high and 18 inches diameter.

My 1/2 acre of roses and tomatoes ... most expensive tomatoes EVER - except from the deers' point of view :woohoo:

The deer will stick their heads in and nibble/devour almost everything. It doesn't matter if something is down 2 feet from the top ... they must be hungry.

They seem to stay away from "people areas". I have some pot plants in a pool deck area surrounded by a wood fence about 3 1/2 feet high. A total joke, a baby deer could jump that. But the deer haven't touched those plants.

natedogNW

F@#* deer!! Theyre like giant rats here in Oregon, only more destructive. But what else can you expect when weve wiped out all of the big predators and have changed the landscape into a bunch of transition zones between forest and fields and grow a bunch of tasety ornamental plants. I read an article which claims theres significantly more deer in the west than when lewis and clark came over and I believe it. Suburbs are essentially deer farms for the reasons i stated. I do landscaping in one of the densest deer populations so I have lots of experience with deer ruining everything. When it comes down to it they eat what they want when they want and theres almost nothing you can do besided grow thorny ass plants, which ironically suck to work with as a landscaper. I will not plant anything I dont know for a fact is deer resistant because its always the landscapers fault when theres deer damage even though you told the customer a dozen times not to use that kind of flower. Predator urine and emitters do not work and deer often forage for leaves on low hanging trees by standing on their hind legs reaching higher than 5 feet so any fence shorter wont help.

I have a survival book which details how to make deadfalls and traps for killing deer. Its not humane or practical and i wouldnt do it (slow death and stressed meat) but this subject brought it to mind haha. Cannabis plants would be the perfect bait too. Imagine it protected plants, free steak for a year, and sweet sweet revenge.

natedogNW

Revolution: My advice is to go a minimum of eight feet high. Out in the boonies around here everyone uses a ten foot deer fence for their veggies and flowers. Ive even seen ones with tops like a cage haha. An expensive investment but possibly worth it for larger plots and gardens.

LUNAROSE

Nice. I usually make a 6'x6' plots with the 4' metal mesh wire with a 1/2" opening. Deer aren't an issue because I grow in my fenced backyard but rodents are.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
another effective thing i have used is coyote urine. the human urine never worked for me and ever since i started using coyote urine i havent had any critters at all dig at my plots. i also still use indy cages on each plant. i only do 20 plants so its not much of a issue for me. once the plants are about 2-3 foot tall i take the cages off

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If tall fences are too costly to build, and the urine trick isn't working, a fellow icmag friend of mine has suggested to me to take a dump by your secret garden..

I know, this grosses out most people, but, if it works, it works...
The deer can smell that you are a meat eater, and therefore a predator....

I will be trying it next spring...

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i will try it as well bud green sr. if it works it works like u said. that will save me having to purchase coyote urine,but when it comes to my ladies i dont mind to spend a little money for products that will do what they are advertised to do,but at the same token if i can get by with a cheaper alternative then im game for it.. thanks for the tip!

badmf

Hey look around for predator piss the pack I got has several predators so you can switch em up, warning use just before leaving it's strong and stinks. I have been using bobcat and coyote to good result, I also have racoons which can be pesky to cages, so made a water spray with a motion detector, 9volt battery, voila! I also string fishing line around it freaks em out as they can't see it, only spooks em though. In my most remote locations I use hogwire fencing 8foot with solid posts.

Latest posts

Latest posts