What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Global Warming & Climate Change Myths

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Don't bother DC....

You'll be sorry you did.

Reason and logic are lost on meth and copypasta.

Good on you for trying but some people are welded shut.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Don't bother DC....

You'll be sorry you did.

Reason and logic are lost on meth and copypasta.

Good on you for trying but some people are welded shut.

The information I provide is delivered without any one
particular reader in mind.

Having been active politically more than 20 years
qualifies me for a Boyscout merit badge in wading through
bullshit.

No worries, lol

St. Phatty

Heat from the sun warms the Earth. The Earth loses heat to space.

Greenhouse gases slow down the rate of heat-loss from the surface of the Earth.

The result is the surface of the Earth gets warmer.

AWESOME SUMMARY.

But this is the "myths" thread, your post is too factual !! :peacock:

Since a primary CO2 generator is the combustion of coal & oil products - which also generates heat - I wonder if that extra heat generation stays near home, and also helps crank up the Temperatures ?

Seems logical, but I've never seen it mentioned in news media reports on Climate Change.

If we stopped burning fossil fuels at a HUUUGE rate (1 cubic mile of each, every year), like cutting it 99% - would that act to bring temperatures down ?

Anyway, that 99% reduction wouldn't happen without about a 99% reduction in population, so it's very theoretical.

Seems like a relevant question is - are higher temperatures bad ? Buy that beach-front property in Alaska and enjoy ?

One of the interesting things that happened during the 200K+ acre fire in Redding, during 100+ F temps, was that they saw enough turbulence around the fire to cause it to act like there was a strong wind - even though there was no wind, from the weather.

It blew North, then East, then West, then North, like 5 or 10 minutes at a time. As if there was a stiff 20 mile per hour wind, changing directions instead of going in one direction. It's worse when it changes direction because it causes the fire to spread in every possible direction.

They kind of drama-queen'ed the reporting, "the fire is creating its own weather system, there are FIRE TORNADOES be very scared".

That's what they call it, I call it turbulence, but the experienced fire guys said it was a Scary Bitch to work with.

Scuse the language, I know sexist phrases can be offensive. But in 2 words or less, that was they had to say about their 2018 summer.

igrowone

Veteran

If we stopped burning fossil fuels at a HUUUGE rate (1 cubic mile of each, every year), like cutting it 99% - would that act to bring temperatures down ?

i've thought of this myself a bit
from what i've read the warm up would dramatically increase
drastic cut back in combustion would sharply decrease the fine particulates and the sulfur oxides in the atmosphere
both get washed out of the air quickly if you don't replace them constantly
we've got a shit load of warming built up just waiting to roar
should be quite a ride

sdd420

Veteran
The temperature records only go back a fraction of the age of the earth. With several ice ages , volcanic activity, the temperatures are always fluctuating. It’s only a small blip on a timeline. We humans have only been around 50000 years give or take not millions of years old like the planet. What incredible conceit to assume credit. But air pollution is real and effects your health every day. Global warming no way we can take credit

St. Phatty

i've thought of this myself a bit
from what i've read the warm up would dramatically increase
drastic cut back in combustion would sharply decrease the fine particulates and the sulfur oxides in the atmosphere
both get washed out of the air quickly if you don't replace them constantly
we've got a shit load of warming built up just waiting to roar
should be quite a ride

I've read about smoke in the air creating sort of an umbrella effect, to shield the earth down below from the sun.

However, that leaves the smoke particles absorbing the heat - they don't reflect it.

So then it gets complicated and I'm going, Uhhh, Uhhh, Hmmm. There's a lot of forces moving in different directions.

Definitely will be quite a ride !

I finally bought some shade trees. Trying to figure out where to plant them to deal with the summer heat, whatever its source.

ion

fun stuff, just came across this thrd.....after looking at the RIP steven hawker thread.....a corollary here, the hubris of science. up until his purported death, hawking had the unofficial title of smartest dude. but, his title along with the unofficial title of science being the reigning religion amongst educated peoples is bullkaka......what did hawking do other than make slightly interesting theories? jackin around with black holes, space......the new frontier.....well methinks the 'new frontier' will be the new islands formed in our oceans by plasti-formation , maybe "science" could focus their great intellects towards figuring that shit out instead of cashcows like global wanings and space....which we cant go into until they figure out that van allen belt issue

kickarse

None of steven hawkings theory's will stand the test of time, just like all the man made global warming/climate change theory perpetrated by the IPCC and the UN

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Every gallon of fuel we burn through an Internal Combustion Engine creates 20+ Lbs of CO2. And coal is even worse. Currently, we are producing more than twice the amount of CO2 than the planet can absorb. And that CO2 stays in the atmosphere for 150 years. We had better start reducing the amount of CO2 that we produce, if we want a planet that our children and grandchildren can live on.

Mengsk

^ this is the biggest deal, everyone in their cars ([wasting their lives one could argue]) creating pollution. Most humans would be more productive if they got rid of their cars. People still rely on oil but I don't mean transporting a shipment (once a month), I mean x hours per day/week idling and transporting one person nothing else. Reliance on fossil fuel leads to all sorts of problems. Start to look at just how many things are made from crude oil and their effects on the environment or whether they are necessary or contribute to toxic effects ecosystem damage etc.

sdd420

Veteran
Every gallon of fuel we burn through an Internal Combustion Engine creates 20+ Lbs of CO2. And coal is even worse. Currently, we are producing more than twice the amount of CO2 than the planet can absorb. And that CO2 stays in the atmosphere for 150 years. We had better start reducing the amount of CO2 that we produce, if we want a planet that our children and grandchildren can live on.

How does that compare to a volcano erupting? We have increased volcanic activity and earthquakes with them.

sdd420

Veteran

China is the worst and won’t comply with any laws

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Volcanoes emit between 300 and 600 million tons of CO2 each year, globally.
Humans emit 40 BILLION tons of CO2 each year, globally.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
That's easy to say, but not reality.
China is currently leading the world in renewable energy. Both in the amount
of megawatthours and in the amount of investment.
The US has cleaned up it's act if only because of the cheap natural gas boom.

Dog Star

Veteran
When US think to clean Hanford??

Am readed before few days workers need to take cover... what ever that means..

Latest posts

Latest posts