What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep.

H

HaHaHashish

JustSUm..have you tried physical exercise?, that usually works to calm the busy mind and help bring sleep (along with some couchy, knock out bud too). If weight lifting or running isn't your thing then try swimming, long walks, farm work, yoga or even learn fighting, they all work so long as you raise a sweat and it tires you out.

Long time, heavy user. Fit guy. I run, bike and lift heavy things for a living.
I sleep good, usually. No dreams, that I can remember, ever.
Sativas, indicas? It don’t matter to me.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
JustSUm..have you tried physical exercise?, that usually works to calm the busy mind and help bring sleep (along with some couchy, knock out bud too). If weight lifting or running isn't your thing then try swimming, long walks, farm work, yoga or even learn fighting, they all work so long as you raise a sweat and it tires you out.

I can't even remember the number of times I've heard exactly what you just said. I'm fairly active and even on days where I'm totally sore and exhausted I just can't pass out. It's kind of hard to explain but I just can't drift off. I'll get to the point where I can't keep my eyes open any longer and just lay there unable to sleep. Activity really makes no difference for me, it can be a bit too much sometimes cause then I'm even more wiped out and can't get the rest I need to recover. Trying to function on top of it is miserable.

I have this one friend who's obsessed with exercise and always is implying to me its my own fault cause I just need to exercise harder and just lay down and go to sleep. I really wish it was that simple but it just doesn't work like that for me. At night I often get anxious cause I know I'll be spending time alone while everyone else is asleep.

Thanks for the recommendations. Trust me, I've given it a lot of thought (have plenty of time to) and tried just about everything lifestyle wise with little benefit. It truly is frustrating trying to explain to people what it's like and that things that work for most people don't work for me. It took forever for me to get it across to doctors, then they did the sleep study and realized I wasn't shitting. Awake 8 hours with no sign of sleep activity in my brain.

I really hope that in the future they will understand this condition better and have solutions.

H

HaHaHashish

it's as if some one is slipping speed into your water! I guess you've also tried lifting heavy weights or having sex, both always makes me crash out into a deep sleep.
Have you tried yoga? There something special about yoga, the benefits are more than just physical as it's emphasis is on form and breath and it will take you to a better place inside yourself that other forms of exercise merely touch on...and you can learn yoga in a class or from videos on youtube.

JustSumTomatoes

Yep given both those a try with the latter being a routine exercise lol. Seriously can't sleep though. Tried yoga before, and yes it is relaxing but even when I'm fairly relaxed I can't clock out. Shit gets old.

Klompen

It rarely ever made me sleepy while using it heavily, but quitting definitely lead to serious problems getting sleep. I've been without herb for over a year now due to homelessness and other problems, but while the sleep problems of withdrawal got better, my health in generally has totally taken a dive. I have gout and other issues that weren't really bad while still smoking a lot and now are totally wrecking my daily life. I hurt everywhere. Even just standing up is painful. I feel like quitting aged me 100 years. As soon as I possibly can, I intend to start smoking it again. There's no damn reason it should be illegal. Prohibition of cannabis is one of the dumbest and most unjust things in American history(behind slavery of course). It has been a racist and elitist tool of oppression and enslavement(remember, the 13th amendment actually made slavery legal in certain circumstances, whereas before it had only been tolerated by law). Gotta love America; land of the free(and millions of other people)

Andyo

Veteran
6 weeks without weed

6 weeks without weed

Took me 6 weeks in a prison cell to sleap normally with out weed.
after 3 weeks wild dreams started.A

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
two things i have found helpful in battling insomnia are using a weighted blanket-i dont use a commercially available one but instead fold a second comforter in four and place it on my upper body. the extra downward pressure gives the sensation of being pressed on which help reduce anxiety. second, i put various ice packs on my head and eyes. the cold temperature helps slow down brain function. there is a commercially available unit called the cryocap which i have considered trying but the ice pack have really made a difference. i still struggle with insomnia every night but these two things have made a difference for me. i hope this helps someone. insomnia is the fucking DEVIL...

JustSumTomatoes

Took me 6 weeks in a prison cell to sleap normally with out weed.
after 3 weeks wild dreams started.A

I can't even sleep normally in my own comfy bed at home. I can't imagine what it would it would be like trying to sleep in prison with all that noise and madness going on around you, much less the stress of being there.

two things i have found helpful in battling insomnia are using a weighted blanket-i dont use a commercially available one but instead fold a second comforter in four and place it on my upper body. the extra downward pressure gives the sensation of being pressed on which help reduce anxiety. second, i put various ice packs on my head and eyes. the cold temperature helps slow down brain function. there is a commercially available unit called the cryocap which i have considered trying but the ice pack have really made a difference. i still struggle with insomnia every night but these two things have made a difference for me. i hope this helps someone. insomnia is the fucking DEVIL...

I like to pile up blankets and agree that the weight/pressure from them is very calming and anxiety relieving indeed. Problem is I get overheated easily and end up having to toss them off while having a leg poking out from the covers at all times to try and keep cool. I really like having a cold pillow and put ice packs under mine while routinely flipping it over to try and stay cool. Insomnia is brutal.

Andyo

Veteran
tapping into the imagination

tapping into the imagination

I dont smoke in the daytime ,usually only after 9 pm .
If i want to nap in the daytime i tap into my structural imagination and run happy scenarios through my mind.Mostly that will send me to sleep.
Hard Gym and swimming and 5 mile power walks on the beach help a lot.
Age now helps ,60,s A