What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

guanito

Hey Sug
nice to see ya!

Anyone know wher I can get a copy of OG FAQ for e-conolight re-wiring?
I might need it someday. ;)
I'm designing a box in my head for a friend. might become a memeber of the Mill's Pride club. Looking at a 250 w/digital ballast. Expensive box to build. Comes to almost $900.
They say w/250 you don't need cooltube.
Still tok'in my grapefruit!
Best regards

sugabear_II

Veteran
guanito said:
Hey Sug
nice to see ya!

Anyone know wher I can get a copy of OG FAQ for e-conolight re-wiring?
I might need it someday. ;)
I'm designing a box in my head for a friend. might become a memeber of the Mill's Pride club. Looking at a 250 w/digital ballast. Expensive box to build. Comes to almost $900.
They say w/250 you don't need cooltube.
Still tok'in my grapefruit!
Best regards

Hey Guanito - I think you should be able to find it somewhere if not the ballast makers do have diagrams on their websites too.

yeah I've been eyeing a digital 250 for a while lumatek makes them and lumatek is supposed to be pretty darned good. No digital 150 HPS's yet - I've seen some digital 150 MH's for aquiriums - doesn't seem to indicate that it can handle a 150 HPS though :(

anyhow - I heard the venerable c13 from mill's pride is being discontinued much to my sadness as I wanted one badly due to the 24" x 24" foot print. I was planning to build one of those with a new 250 digital just like you were talking about.

-suga

~DatFire~

What up fam!

Just found the thread...........

Im going to start growing in my new cab soon...still have to build it though :badday:, Im going to start in the summer....casue I still got to think of a good design, seeing how my last cab was way too small.. oh yea Im sticking with the 150hps, and decide to put alway the MH..(way too much heat)

good to see ya suga :wave:

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey ~datfire~ it's good to see you too!

wow a few of the old 150 crew is coming 'round - it's starting to feel alright again :)

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
e-conolight.com has a 250 HPS for about 79 bucks. It can easily be remoted if desired.

stevr59

Well guy's i just finished my getto light hood for my 150 hps hope it works beter than my turkey pan bat wing. Did a temp check the other nite and it hit 90 a lot hotter than when i was useing the bat wing so i added a pc fan for a exshaced that drop it down to 86 still have not added a glass sheild yet seem like that would make it even hotter i am running a 145 cmf dayton in a 3.75 sq ft box. Only proublem is its to big to mount a dryer hose to hook to my dayton. is there a better way to cool this thing down short of re doing the hood to make it smaller my be a bigger pc fan , would like to make a cool tube but that will be later down the road.

:woohoo:

Last edited:

Fat Puta

Well I finally got my ass in gear and made a small veg / mother box
1’D x 2’W x 2‘1/2 H
175W MH 87.5Ws per sq foot
200 CFM 4” Muffin fan with speed control
Fully covered in Mylar

green_grow

Veteran
i have 3.7 sq. ft. of floor space in my cabinet, because of that i am thinking of putting in 2 x 150w hps, but i have a question (this is my 1st grow, by the way) ... do 150w hps require a ballast and special fixture for mounting ? i was eyeing them in home depot and the base looks like a standard incandescent but the package says that they require a special mounting fixture along with a ballast. i havent been able to find either the fixture or the ballasts anywhere i have looked .
please enlighten me !

stevr59

Howdy Green grow...
Go back to page 3 and look for STONERPANDA post... Yes they need a ballst best bet would be to get a encolite 35 bucks and do the remote balllast trick like stonerpanda did..it has a ballast, socket and bulb all you need would be to bulid a hood or better yet make a cooltube. here the link to the light: http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z

all so do a scearch on e-conolights that should help.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Just a head's-up on the E-conolight 150s; I fell into the cheap-price trap like so many of you (I bought four of these pigs), but do you guys know to light the 150 watt bulb, the E-conolight 150 watt ballast kit (Caster or Castor is the brand name) uses Over 350 Watts!!! Kinda blows the savings in the first month of operation. Any low-wattage HPS that doesn't have a seperate capacitor (two main parts instead of three; ballast,capacitor, and ignitor), you can count on being power hogs. This includes most "security" lights you rewire to remote the ballast.

A better option is to get a 150 w Venture ballast kit ( www.businesslights.com has good prices; just $12 more) that uses only 166 watts to light the 150. Power Factor is @ 90%.

http://www.businesslights.com/product_info.php?cPath=190_238&products_id=45

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hi Vern Equinox,

I posted on this in the OG days and I will explain again here;

The 350 watts you talk about is the total through put of the lamp - it still however only uses the same amount of wattage.

Think of it this way... each lamp is like a closed loop circuit...

when a lamp and ballast have a low power factor they pull more electricity through the ciruit - a portion of this is used to light the lamp - some of it is returned (not used) through the plug back to the line.

when a lamp and ballast has a high power factor the amount of energy returned (not used) is less and less power is pulled out of the wall.

Basically what the capacitator does is store and regulate charge allowing the lamp to only draw what it uses.

The power factor is the ratio of power drawn to power used.

Your power company charges you for how much you use, not how much you draw.

so in no way will your power bill be equivalent to running a 350 watt lamp as you imply.

Your power bill will be the roughly the same with either 150 lamp.

It should however be noted that the power company does have the ability to see the overall power factor of your ciruit and if you were to have as you do 3 or more of these plugged in it could be noticiable to them. The original author made this point and basically said that if you ran a single 150 it shouldn't be a concern but if you were planning on stringing together multiple 150's, 100's, or smaller lamps it should be looked at.

incidentally if you wire your lamps to the same plug you only need a single capacitor between the line and the first ballast to increase the power factor of all the lamps.

That all being said the Venture is probably a better lamp and I would pick it over the econo-light given the choice. Thanks for the link!

-suga

Thanks so much for setting me straight, Sugabear_II; I've never felt so good being wrong. Also, thanks for taking the extra time for the detail of your answer, as it helped a lot. I do have some questions, though.

1) You mentioned the power company has the ability to note the PF of the circuit; is this disparity they notice fairly indicative of grow ops, or would it just be something that generates a line trouble call? If I split the lights two each on different circuit breakers, would that spread the disparity out, or are the readings for the House/Units service as a whole? (I realize you may not know all this stuff, but if you do and can share, GREAT!)

2) I had never even considered wiring two lamps together on the same plug, but it could definitely simplify things, especially later with timers, etc. Now if I get a seperate capacitor (the ballasts have an integrated capacitor...internal) and wire it inline before the first ballast/capacitor, will I have any issues due to the other integrated capacitors still being wired up? Basic Schematic??

I'm with you on the Ventures; I'm actually going to upgrade to Venture 200w next run (4-250s would be a bit too much heat for my cabinet, without cool tubes), but at least the electric won't be that bad with these Es. Also, it probably should be noted; E-conolights ballasts are non-returnable, even if unopened/unused (as best as I could gather).

So. I guess, if you guys'll have me, I'll be a member of the 150w club for at least one grow (thanks to the Czechs, but that's for my nest post!).

Nominating G_MAN and prenda, from Czech site www.grower.cz

Nominating G_MAN and prenda, from Czech site www.grower.cz

I've only seen mention of these guys' unbelievable 150 watt tubular scrogs in one other thread here. What they've accomplished is nothing short of revolutionary (IMAO), routinely pulling 138g-143g (of Jack Herer as well; low yielding strain) from a single 150 grow (both soil and hydro) in their super-simple setup that used two ice barrell keg holders (like getting two small pond liners from the garden section of Home DePot) and the tube of chickenwire. Some of you old dawgs may noticed this design is like a poor-boy's Phototron...awesome!

After OG went down, I Googled tubular scrog or vertical scrog and came across these pics, and that's when everything changed. Within about 30 seconds I knew I was somehow incorporating this into a C24 cabinet, and that my first grow (start to finish) was going to be something special thanks to G_MAN and prenda.

Link to G_MAN's incredible grow:
https://grower.cz/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11193

Again, I haven't seen much of these guys mentioned here, and I thought it was long overdue.

Last edited:

SourDog

overgrowin said:
Hey Pipedream,
I remember your thread from overgrow.
I recently bought the e-conolight 150 hps, gutted it and did a remote ballast
in a small cab, 2 square feet to be exact.

Temps stay about 5 degrees above room temps right now but I know
I'll have problems this summer with the current ventilation setup.
been working on the bake a round cool tube so I'll be ready for summer.

Looking forward to seein' some eye candy in here!

sounds about the same size ive been thinking about... 2.15ish...32inches tall... what kind of ventilation are you using?? is it 5 degrees higher with/without ventilation? do you use any special reflector(vented)?

i havent gotten my light, but cant stop thinking about getting an econ0 light for $35...

how many squarefeet do yall use with your 150w and what's your average yield??

i thought about using cfl's, but i got a 100cfm inline and im not excited about .33g per watt with cfl's..

G

Wassup Everybody? :wave: Nice looking nugs!
Long time lurker, first time poster, so here are some pics from my first go with a 150.

3 bagseed plants, 2 deemed Shishkaberry and 1 Berryhaze. Roughly .4 gpw.

Germed in tap water, sprouted in window, stretched under a 60w incandescent!
:fsu:

I picked the best few of what I had, took the tops and culled the rest. By the time those tops rooted, I had my wits about me, set up a closet, and started training. This is when all the countless hours of lurking here and OG start paying off.
The Berryhaze is the tall one, in case your interested.

Turning Buddha

First falls the Shishkaberry, fruity and sticky

The Berryhaze was dropped maybe a week behind the shish, with her spicy ass. Had a blue tint after curing.

Both had a very clear headie high. Very inspirational. Very sticky. Also, both seemed to be a little bit slow, wanting to flower forever. Both seemed to be low-odor strains. The Shishkaberry had a stronger cured flavor for sure.

I also have a C-25 going with CFLs on top, 150 down below. (2) 10 gallon DWC tubs. I gotta post pics of that later. Maybe in the C-13 thread??? What do you think Puta?!

Vern, thanks for putting up those pics man, I totally forgot about the v-scrog. Gotta try it sometime later this year. Looks perfect for the 150 heads, AND I already have chicken wire from my current scrog in the above closet. (post those pics later too)

sugabear_II

Veteran
cool pics y'all

Vern - prenda used to post on the 150 club thread - his grows were very inspirational - I knew a few people who are trying the style he pioneered. If I knew Checz I'd go tell him to stop by here.

User Name those are some really nice pics the last macro is especially lovely - good job !

sourdog - I use my 150 in a 30" wide x 30" high x 15" deep cabinet - I use a dayton 134 CFM blower hooked to a professional store bought carbon can scrubber and have found the combination to be very good - my temps stay 'round 5 degrees over ambient always.

-suga