Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies)

Thread Title Search
a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2016, 04:55 PM #31
master shake

master shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the roughmaster shake is a jewel in the rough
I had a battle with these bastards in my last grow/current mother plants. Finally got something that works great and isn't full of pesticides/chems - a wine trap!

Simply take some red wine (cider vinegar works too I read), pour into a shallow and wide dish, and stir in a little bit of dish soap. The wine and vinegar attract the gnats and when they land on the surface, they can't get out due to the surface tension of the water being broken from the soap. Place the dish under the canopy, and leave it for at least a week or 2, or for good since it seems like they always come back this time of year. Add a little water every couple days as it evaporates.

This works for fruit flies too, and I found out it works for fungus gnats too!

master shake is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 AM #32
GodZson

GodZson will become famous soon enoughGodZson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by master shake View Post
I had a battle with these bastards in my last grow/current mother plants. Finally got something that works great and isn't full of pesticides/chems - a wine trap!

Simply take some red wine (cider vinegar works too I read), pour into a shallow and wide dish, and stir in a little bit of dish soap. The wine and vinegar attract the gnats and when they land on the surface, they can't get out due to the surface tension of the water being broken from the soap. Place the dish under the canopy, and leave it for at least a week or 2, or for good since it seems like they always come back this time of year. Add a little water every couple days as it evaporates.

This works for fruit flies too, and I found out it works for fungus gnats too!

View Image
This is great.. Saw a few and put up yellow traps.. Trying this tomorrow.. Thank you for sharing
GodZson is offline Quote

Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM #33
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
Have any of you guys tried top dressing your coco pots with diatomaceous earth? I am planning on throwing my drip rings underneath the layer of DE. will this cause any issues?
p0opstlnksal0t is offline Quote

Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 PM #34
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
It has to be dry to be effective.

Gnatrol works well.
Mikell is online now Quote

Old 05-04-2018, 02:47 PM #35
eric2028

eric2028 will become famous soon enougheric2028 will become famous soon enough
I read somewhere that a spinosad drench works well. Anyone have experience with that?
eric2028 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:02 AM #36
Weezard
Hawaiian Inebriatti

Weezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivor
And a layer of dryer sheets on the soil surface will prevent infestation.
Have not had one fungus gnat for years now.
Dirt cheap, non-toxic, and very effective.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kush cross.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	454305
Weezard is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 AM #37
Noonin NorCal

Noonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really nice
Try doing a root drench with GoGnats. the stuff smells great also
Noonin NorCal is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2018, 01:33 AM #38
Noonin NorCal

Noonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really nice
and the sticky papers above your medium of course
Noonin NorCal is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 PM #39
Chevy cHaze
Out Of Dankness Cometh Light

Chevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to all
I just had them back again...
Since Neudorff doesn't make the liquid BTI solution anymore I had to go with mosquito dunks. It seems to have worked, the last adults are getting sorted by the yellow sticky paper, but has anyone ever thought about if the toxins from the the dunks, GoGnats etc might be taken up by the plant ?
I have used BTI many times, but just thought about the fact that the effect is based on toxins after all, the Bacterae Thuringensis Israelensis toxins...

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2018, 12:55 AM #40
Jhhnn
Banned

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikell View Post
Gnatrol works well.
Indeed it does. It was developed to control gnats in greenhouses. I found complete eradication to be impossible in my organic soil grow but gnatrol wdg really whups their bug junkie asses at 1 tbsp/gal & enough solution to thoroughly wet the top inch of soil. Apply 3 times a week apart. It works best when I use it before I even see any flyers. I just mix it into ewc tea.

https://www.valent.com/professional/...trol/index.cfm
Jhhnn is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.