Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies)

Thread Title Search
a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2013, 03:57 AM #21
nachoconqueso
Banned

nachoconqueso will become famous soon enoughnachoconqueso will become famous soon enoughnachoconqueso will become famous soon enough
I got rid of mine by breaking apart and sprinkling 1/4 of a mosquito dunk around a 3 gallon pot. Took them out in 2 days.
nachoconqueso is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 AM #22
habeeb
follow your heart

habeeb has disabled reputation
^ interested in your method..

I was reading up on bti's.. it was saying the larvae eat it.. I wonder if there attracted to it in the first place.. like they put something in it to attract them.. and it seems you gave them a nice buffet for them then... haha. then I kinda also wonder, how the bti can reach the bottom of buckets for people who have sneaky ones.. as it wouldn't seem it couldn't get to the bottom if it is resting on the top surface???

also it was saying, don't apply to water that has copper ( nutes might have trace amount? ) and chlorine.. so anyone knows for future

also wonder if it does anything in way to off balance other bacteria in the media???
habeeb is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM #23
Chevy cHaze
Out Of Dankness Cometh Light

Chevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to allChevy cHaze is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
^ interested in your method..

I was reading up on bti's.. it was saying the larvae eat it.. I wonder if there attracted to it in the first place.. like they put something in it to attract them.. and it seems you gave them a nice buffet for them then... haha. then I kinda also wonder, how the bti can reach the bottom of buckets for people who have sneaky ones.. as it wouldn't seem it couldn't get to the bottom if it is resting on the top surface???

also it was saying, don't apply to water that has copper ( nutes might have trace amount? ) and chlorine.. so anyone knows for future

also wonder if it does anything in way to off balance other bacteria in the media???
Hi Habeeb,
The BTI will multiply once in the soil/ coco.
You add it with you waterings and then it spreads throughout the pot by multiplying so it gets to the bottom no problem.

regarding the copper... Not sure about this, never heard anything that this would pose a problem.
But I used chem nutes from a rez, and I'm sure there a re ztraces of copper in there along with the mangan, boron etc...

I don't really know if the put anything in there to actually attract mosquitos to be honest ( would make sense eh ?)... but the fungus gnats were completely wiped out within a couple days. The flyers stuck to sticky traps and no new ones coming after them.
To prevent possible future infestations, I sealed my air inlets with a screen and put a layer of perlite on top of my pots.

all the best, take care,

cc

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 05:11 PM #24
rgold1963

rgold1963 is on a distinguished road
While all of my coir experience is with large scale organic greenhouse tomato production, the solution I use should be the same for anyone growing on coir(or any medium for that matter) that has fungus gnat problems. The predatory mite Stratiolaelaps scimitus Womersley (formerly Hypoaspis) has provided me with excellent control for very low cost.
I apply them in the first week after transplant and never worry about fungus gnats for the entire crop. There is also the Rove beetle (Dalotia coriaria) or Atheta coriaria which also targets shore flies and works better in areas that have more standing water/algae.
I have had very good results using them with an NFT system.
Both of these are readily available and fairly low cost, chemical free solutions.
If anyone wants more info on either of them, feel free to send me a message.
rgold1963 is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2016, 06:02 PM #25
Sluicebox

Sluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the roughSluicebox is a jewel in the rough
Old thread but is BTI safe, and will it pass state tests?
Sluicebox is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 PM #26
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Yes and I don't know.
Mikell is online now Quote

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 AM #27
svrn

svrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy cHaze View Post
You can look for products containing bacillus thuringiensis israelensis like Neudomueck f.ex.
They sell those products to keep ponds and stuff mosquito-free and it works with those gnats as well.
The larvae of the gnats in the coco/soil eat it and then it dissolves their digestive system.
then get the adult flies with yellow stickies and break the cycle with a perlite top layer.that worked for me perfectly.

sounds really harsh, but it does the job efficiently and it's not affecting the buds, so you can use it even during last weeks of flower.

Mine were all gone after a couple days.

good luck &take care

cc
That's what I do and it works great.
svrn is offline Quote

Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM #28
bicyclebenny

bicyclebenny will become famous soon enoughbicyclebenny will become famous soon enough
3T of 3% h2o2 per gallon got rid of them for me.

Last edited by bicyclebenny; 04-27-2016 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Not 30
bicyclebenny is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 PM #29
azad
Buzkashi

azad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to behold
I encountered this problem, but it cleared up once I began using H+G roots excellorator. I've since switched to Great white with no problems or reinfestaion since. Try it your roots will thanks you for it.
Best vybz

Ask the Humming bird about the significance of the flowers.
what would a Vulture know about their significance who feeds on the dead..

https://youtu.be/dqGdWoW-GT8
azad is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 PM #30
thesloppy

It's slightly remarkable that the cheapest, most available (and highly effective) methods don't seem to get much play in these pest threads:

A simple hot water bath will kill most plant pests, without affecting your plants....provided the plants are small enough to get completely submerged. The two methods I see prescribed most are a 110 degree bath for 20 minutes, or 120 degrees for 5 minutes.

Similarly PURE, NON-DETERGENT (this is an important distinction, don't ignore) dish soap and vegetable oil has been proven extremely effective at killing all soft-bodied insects, and can be used as a dunk/bath, or a spray. 5 tablespoons of PURE, NON-DETERGENT dish soap, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil will give you a 2% insectidal soap mix. If that proves too hot for your plants/lights, then cut it in half for a 1% solution, which is less effective but gentler on your plants. Dunk containers in soapy water for a couple minutes to treat roots/medium and flush well until there's no more soapy residue coming from the runoff.