Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies)

Thread Title Search
a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM #11
bigbufu

Ive had experience with gnats and got them away with various methods. The sand on top of the pot is solid and will knock out the flying ones as they are unable to reach the soil to reproduce etc. Also crushing up mosquito dunks and topping the pots with the crushed up dunk definitely helped as well and I now always layer my coco with the dunks just crush them up and toss some on top of the medium WAY BETTER RESULTS THAN KEEPING A DUNK IN YOUR REZ. To top is off I used azamax as a root drench and I havent seen those fuckers. Also a P-Bomb will knock out a good amount of the flyers if your population is getting out of control Id definitely throw some bombs in there. Anyways having the proper equipment and knowledge is key in knocking these pests out.

-AJ

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 AM #12
dupester

dupester is on a distinguished road
Try Mosquito Bits. Just sprinkle on top of coco/soil every three weeks, and water activates it.
But like snow crash said, keep everything clean! No standing water. I also dump a little bleach down every drain, toilet, and sink in the house once a week.
dupester is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 AM #13
Chevy cHaze
Out Of Dankness Cometh Light

Chevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to beholdChevy cHaze is a splendid one to behold
You can look for products containing bacillus thuringiensis israelensis like Neudomueck f.ex.
They sell those products to keep ponds and stuff mosquito-free and it works with those gnats as well.
The larvae of the gnats in the coco/soil eat it and then it dissolves their digestive system.
then get the adult flies with yellow stickies and break the cycle with a perlite top layer.that worked for me perfectly.

sounds really harsh, but it does the job efficiently and it's not affecting the buds, so you can use it even during last weeks of flower.

Mine were all gone after a couple days.

good luck &take care

cc

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 AM #14
medicalmj

medicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the rough
I just got back from the store with my usual predator nematodes and some of that stuff called gnat-nix. I have never tried before but its basicaly those growstones crushed really fine. Since they're made from recycled glass it's supposed to shred em like DE, but it can get wet.

I grow in 100% coco in airpots with multiple feeding per day (DTW) so keeping these fuckers at bay takes vigilance. I don't catch or see many but that's because I am proactive with the nematodes and will step it up if I start catching too many.

My hope is that this is one more tool to keep these fuckers in control. But will continue monthly (or more if needed) nematode applications.
Just a little disclaimer: I don't really grow weed, hell I've never even tried it. My shrink suggested I develop an alter-ego to help with my low self esteem. So I took on the identity of a marijuana grower. Seemed real exciting and a little risque. So if I post any pictures, sorry but they're just something I found on the internet. Thanks in advance for playing along, and helping me with these tough times!
medicalmj is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 AM #15
billy_big_bud!
Proud Cannadian Cannabist

billy_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud ofbilly_big_bud! has much to be proud of
try neem oil.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 AM #16
Mister_D

Mister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to behold
SM90 @ 5ml per gal. completely eliminated my gnat problem in about a week, and has kept it gone for over a year. I use it with every watering, veg through flush. Just do a through soaking of all of your plants to get all of the eggs.

D's Vertical Redemption (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....57#post4840157

D's Gone Hunting (In limbo)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post5941311

Cannafornia Seeds Caliente Kong & Alaskan Thunder Kong Test Thread (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....15#post6280215

D's DIY Automated Vertical Feed and Drain System
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....90#post6323290

""Get It Fucking Done. It’s the truth, it’s the one thing you learn real fast in life is that nobody gives a fucking shit about excuses and the sooner you learn that nobody really gives a fuck about you, that you need to get off your ass and make shit happen then the better off everyone will be""". - Zakk Wylde
Mister_D is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 AM #17
medicalmj

medicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_big_bud! View Post
try neem oil.
My next tool I would consider would be the active ingredient in Neem, Azadarachtin, but I opt for Azamax or Azatrol over Neem when drenching. I use Neem for foliar and Azamax for drench.

But I have kept FGs at bay with only predator nematodes. Thankfully, for now anyway, that will be the extent of anything I put into the media. The only other thing I am doing is the top dressing of gnat-nix.
Just a little disclaimer: I don't really grow weed, hell I've never even tried it. My shrink suggested I develop an alter-ego to help with my low self esteem. So I took on the identity of a marijuana grower. Seemed real exciting and a little risque. So if I post any pictures, sorry but they're just something I found on the internet. Thanks in advance for playing along, and helping me with these tough times!
medicalmj is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 04:28 AM #18
Weezard
Hawaiian Inebriatti

Weezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivor
As you formulate you plans of attack, here are a few facts to keep in mind.

1. The flyers do not eat.
Their sole function is to mate and lay eggs in, as yet, uninfected areas.
They do no damage to the plants other than laying eggs.
Yellow sticky traps immobilize them but only prevent new infestations.

2. You can have a large population of gnat larva munching your roots before a single flyer is seen!
Seeing flyers indicates that they are getting too crowded under the surface.
Only then will some of them become flyers.

3.A healthy, robust plant, can survive, and even thrive with an FG infestation of the roots.
But stress from anything else will be additive and doing things like over drying coco will give the larvae the upper hand.

So, protect your uninfected plants with a surface barrier before you see the first flyers.

Go after the larva tooth and nail.
Whatever it takes.
Nematodes and fungi will take out a light infestation, or at least control it.

For a really bad situation there's a sure fire wipe-out method but it's definitely not "organic".

Add a tablespoon of Adam's flea and tick shampoo to your first wetting when mixing soil, or coco.
That will deter the flyers, as will dryer sheets laid on the surface.
The flyers avoid it so, no new larval infests.

An existing larval mass will be completely purged by watering with a teaspoon of Cutter backyard Mosquito concentrated spray added to the watering.
It's a combination of Lambda-Cyhalothrin and a repellent.
Offers 4 weeks of Mosquito free, outdoor living
How safe that is, I do not know, but would not recommend it's use during flowering.

Now, It's all about prevention.
I use dryer sheets atop the coco and have not seen any Fungus gnats for a very long time.

Yeah, I know, proves nothing.
(No see any Tigers? Den dis Tiger chaser charm mus' work!)
Should they ever stop being effective, I'll post it.

Aloha y'all

Weezard

"Plants do things for a reason, they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny." -Weedhound
R.I.P

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom. -Francis Bacon

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. -Moliere

You're behaving as if there is no hope. Someone musta told you you were hopeless and you believed them! That's it, isn't it? What you believe about yrself rests on a pile of someone else's shit! - Teddybrae
Weezard is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 AM #19
Asslover

Asslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of lightAsslover is a glorious beacon of light
Azamax drench wiped them out fro me.
Asslover is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 AM #20
habeeb
follow your heart

habeeb has disabled reputation
what worked for me,

gnatrol, but it needs to be shaken heavily in the water, or left for a long time to really get mixed in the solution

I've always wanted to try nematodes.

I hear the new thing in the organic section is adding neem cake to the mix, as it's the pressed seed for neem oil...

basically wipe the fuckers out, as the more rooms you work, the bigger the problem they become. also one can re-populate the whole problem again..
habeeb is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.