Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > the Hand Watering coco thread

Thread Title Search
the Hand Watering coco thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM #1941
shooterw

shooterw is on a distinguished road
Coco substrate with #4 and perlite

Has anyone used the mo'koko premium select coco substrate? I am using 60% that, 30% #4 sunshine, and 10% perlite. I just started using that in 10 gallon air pots. I am trying to figure out the watering schedule, it's a bit tricky. Any tips out there? I'm having some leaves doing the taco and some yellow spotting
shooterw is offline Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 08:18 AM #1942
nzcocobro

nzcocobro is on a distinguished road
blah blah blah :)

Just wanna say hello, i have read this thread over and over along with other great coco threads out there. Im quite the novice grower and have only ran two grows with my current one being the second. Both times in coco, well the first time was a coco/perlite mix this time im going pure coco. I love coco it seems daunting at first with all this talk of EC and PH etc but it's all stuff you should be doing no matter what your medium including soil and i find it much easier then soil because i have complete control. Unlike cheap garden soil in which i am at battle with the control release ferts within it. Thanks to all the amazing people who have contributed their knowledge has helped a lot. Im doing an outdoor coco grow this season. Just getting my girls warmed up inside before the season really gets started. This grow should be much better than my already awesome first attempt, all thanks to you people.

sorry for the terrible photo quality i broke my good phone :/
nzcocobro is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 AM #1943
EstCst420

EstCst420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterw View Post
Has anyone used the mo'koko premium select coco substrate? I am using 60% that, 30% #4 sunshine, and 10% perlite. I just started using that in 10 gallon air pots. I am trying to figure out the watering schedule, it's a bit tricky. Any tips out there? I'm having some leaves doing the taco and some yellow spotting

I am just wondering why would you add in #4 Sunshine soil... YOr growing in coco, you dont want it to anymore water then it already does. Adding soil to your coco your be asking for issues with watering.
EstCst420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:50 PM #1944
nzcocobro

nzcocobro is on a distinguished road
EC levels in "pre buffered" coco

Hey team so i have read and researched coco extensively and i have probably read about this already but after reading so much some information leaks out. here's my question and concern.

so i have a large cheap coir brick im going to be using for my grow later in bigger pots. in the mean time i purchased an extra small sized premium brick by nulife for my propagation pots. it claims to be "pre charged" and pre buffered". when i washed it in water to expand it i tested the runoff EC and it came out at 1.0 EC now this concerned me because high EC means high salt ie poor preparation or washing prior to packaging? i actually flushed it heavily with PH'd water until the EC came out at about 0.6 no nutrients. once i transplanted my jiffy seedlings i gave a light nutrient feed. so it's got nutrients in it now and the plants are doing just fine.

but did i do something wrong by flushing it. should pre charged coco have a high EC? is this trace elements like calmag that's been added during prep. because i read people saying," DON'T EVER FLUSH A PRE CHARGED BRICK IT RUINS THE CATION EXCHANGE AND BUFFER". but then i also read people talking about flushing cheap bricks because they have lots of salt and a high EC. so im a bit confused. basically i don't trust canna or nulife and their claims that you don't need to treat the brick at all just add water when the EC comes out so high. isn't the high base EC an issue. could any experts here offer some information here? thanks so much. always learning.
nzcocobro is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM #1945
Cocolores

Cocolores is on a distinguished road
Cheap not pre charged coco comes with a seawater EC. If you read an EC of 1 than that is ok.
Imagine that not everyone want to start their seedlings or cuttings in coco, some people use it for repotting older plants or after using rockwool in the early stage.
What you did was probably an unnecessary game, removing salts and than adding salts again.
EC 1 isnt high enough to harm your seedlings, they may slow down a little bit but thats it.
Cocolores is offline Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 AM #1946
GrimyGreasy

GrimyGreasy is on a distinguished road
The issue is the ‘cheap’ unbuffered coco’s EC is made up largely of sodium from sea water, so not all EC readings are equal so to speak. I use cheap brick coco- rehydrate it in a bucket of tap water, strain the coco out, wash once more, then soak over night in a bucket of water with 2mL of cal-mag per L. Strain and it’s ready to use.
GrimyGreasy is offline Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 AM #1947
Captain_Kresh

Captain_Kresh is on a distinguished road
hey B-OG, I'm fairly new to growing but love it so much but just cant get it right. my plants don't look vibrant and alert. They don't seem to be getting very high. Although getting very bushy. I don't understand why. Some times when l feed them I feed in at 6.0 ph and sometimes drops to like 5-5.4. Why does this happen. Its driving me nuts. Its happened in all of my grows. caant figure it out.
Captain_Kresh is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 AM #1948
Wickedowl

Wickedowl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray Kimono View Post
When a seedling is developing its roots in coco, you need to let it dry out between waterings. Once the root is established then the coco should never be dry. And depending on plantsize, rootsize/container size, and other factors, by the end of flower you should be feeding multiple times a day... Otherwise there is no point to use coco instead of soil. And you dont need to water to runoff either if you are feeding multiple times a day. You gotta dial it in to how much the plant is eating and transpiring compared to how much the root mass and medium can hold per feed. No runoff needed, but you have to make sure you are keeping the coco moist to prevent any salt build and to keep the oxygen through the moisture more readily absorbed.
Thank you. Perfect
Wickedowl is offline Quote