What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I just saw that crazy explosion story

insomniac_AU

State of California

On September 2, 2014, California regulators proposed a $1.4 billion penalty against Pacific Gas & Electric for the explosion.[54]
On September 16, 2014, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that Carol Brown, the chief of staff for the president of the California Public Utilities Commission, had communicated with PG&E executives to help move litigation to judges they expected would be friendly to PG&E's side.[55] As of October 2014 the judge shopping scandal is under federal investigation.[56]
On April 9, 2015, the Public Utilities Commission fined PG&E $1.6 billion.[57]

Federal

On April 1, 2014, PG&E was indicted by a federal grand jury in U.S. District Court, San Francisco, for multiple violations of the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act of 1968 relating to its record keeping and pipeline "integrity management" practices.[58] An additional indictment was issued by the grand jury on July 29, 2014, charging the company with obstruction of justice for lying to the NTSB regarding its pipeline testing policy, bringing the total number of counts in the indictment to 28.[59] Under the new indictment, the company could be fined as much as $1.3 billion, based on profit associated with the alleged misconduct, in addition to $2.5 billion for state regulatory violations.[59]
On January 21, 2017, PG&E was fined $3 million and ordered to perform 10,000 hours of community service for criminal actions of violating the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act and for obstruction of justice. In addition, it must institute a compliance and ethics monitoring program and spend up to $3 million to "publicize its criminal conduct". These actions were imposed after the company was found guilty by a federal jury in August, 2016 of six of the twelve charges against the company in US District Court

Gry

The oil industry is old and well established in [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]California.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No one goes to jail, the costs and expenses get passed on to the public, and it is business as usual.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seems to be a standard formula.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heard Jerry Brown speak to protesters yesterday morning, at an energy conference in SF.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Told them he would not stop all drilling right away, as we would
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]end up importing what we now produce. [/FONT]
Does have some impressive ideas and goals as
to how to achieve them, legacy time being upon him.

Green Squall

This is crazy. Towns all over the North Shore were sending assistance. Gas has always made me uneasy I'm glad I have electric.

therevverend

Veteran
Wow that's horrible. No matter how safe they say these gas pipelines are they always blow.

In the town I grew up in there was a creek through a wooded area with beautiful waterfalls. When I was a kid we'd fish for rainbow trout, when I got older we'd go out there and get stoned and go skinny dipping.

One summer around the Fourth of July there were a couple kids playing with bottle rockets. They didn't know, hell I didn't know smoking all those bowls out there, the gas line ran underneath. BOOM! The woods the creek, the kids, and some other kids fishing downstream were all vaporized. Gas leak. Mushroom cloud over the town.

Okay had to look it up to see how sharp my memory was.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/north-so...n-in-bellingham-kills-three-in-1999/766933436

Not bad for a stoner. The crazy part is the kids playing with the bottle rockets, the two ten year olds, were massively burned but survived. Probably because they were upstream from all the gas.

The mushroom cloud was 30,000 feet high visible from Vancouver BC, the inferno reached 2000 degrees F.

Makes me feel worse for the town and people that have to go through this bullshit..

Green Squall

Damn the hits just keep coming. The first shark fatality since 1936 occurred today off a beach in Cape Cod. Most likely from a Great White. I can't imagine the pain and confusion the family is experiencing.