What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sacred Seeds Skunk #1 in 1980

Madjag

Veteran
For those of you that aren't familiar with the "Old School Arizona" thread that I primarily post in, I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to my friends Robert Clarke and Sam Skunkman, the guys who sold me 3000 seeds of Skunk #1 in 1979 so that I could plant two guerrilla gardens the following year.

My partner and I named our canyon "Madjag Canyon" and if you start at the beginning of the "Old School Arizona" thread you can catch up on the particulars.

Recently I had 100 slides digitized that were locked away in the Madjag Archives. I have approximately 350 more that Ill be posting over the next year. After conferring with many members like Elmer Bud, Sam Skunkman, Big Herb, Raho, and few others familiar with those days, I realize that photos of Skunk #1 in situ would be a valuable contribution to the history.

Skunk is always a hot topic. Here are photos from growers who got their seeds from the seed source, the creators of the strain, in hopes that they will help settle arguments while inspiring increased interest in this important variety.

It kicked major ass in a field of many ass-kickers.

Peace,
Madjag

picture.php

Last edited:

t99

Veteran
:tiphat:
Thanks for sharing your experiences! If you ever write a book, put me on the preorder list!

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Epic picture collection Madjag, thanks for sharing. Those pictures so brilliantly display the pioneering spirit of the day.

mack 10

Veteran
Every branch reaching out in long fat colas. True hybrid plants.
I bet it smelled great in your canyon.
Great work Mad Jag and Sacred Seeds.

Bring back the Skunk Sams... The world needs long running skunky colas.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Skunk in the 80s changed everything. I smoked lots of imported lumbo and Mexican back when I first started toking...even had what passed as chocolate thai we used to buy from the bruthas in the projects off army street.

But that skunk I started to see in the early/mid 80s was nothing like anything we were smoking at the time. Lime green, fluffy mendo grown nugs. Some were tight and a bit darker green, some were purple. It sold for a premium because it was just so much better than anything else in my area. Around the same time, the supply of good import started to fall and the production of good domestic herb started going up.

Looking back, it seems there was a correlation between the drop in available high quality imports and the development of domestic varieties like skunk, but I could be wrong.

Right on for the pics, MJ!

HB.

Latest posts

Latest posts