What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks :) I tried to cover as much as possible while still keeping it relatively short and to the point. A lighter version of the guide might have been easier to digest but it just kept growing as I was typing out my notes.

I hope that the guide will help you to reach your goals.

Keep it green

-Kodiak-

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
:jawdrop: Wow, I mean really wow. Every new member should be forced to read this when they sign up. Would save everyone lots of time. Concise and to the point. Very well written. I will be directing many people over here. Congratulations on a incredible thread.
:woohoo::party::bow::respect:

R

Rooster449

I do agree with you Frank

I do agree with you Frank

:jawdrop: Wow, I mean really wow. Every new member should be forced to read this when they sign up. Would save everyone lots of time. Concise and to the point. Very well written. I will be directing many people over here. Congratulations on a incredible thread.
:woohoo::party::bow::respect:

I am a new mimber here and a new grower, I have read ever one of His threads and have really tryed to fallow all I read. We are all new at some thing and we need all the advice we can get from peaple that have been there and done that. I have found that when I hit a wall:wallbash: All i need to do is post my stuff here and I get the answer in no time.

I cant say it enough that every one on here that can help seems that they do help. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH Becouse if I dont ask for help I tend to :fsu: and I wount to be doing this for A LONG LONG TIME

I just orderd seeds from Amsterdam Its called Medijuana and it will be filling my two new rooms i am building and well post new pixs of my Build Soon. Two 10x10 Rooms. I will keep all posted on my progress.

Rooster449

mthyde

I have one more question regarding the spider mites. I am having a weak infestation in my flowering room. Is it advisable to spray with the neem when plants are in bud?

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks guys :)

mthyde, I would not spray the buds with anything during full flowering, you might get mold. You will find that most of the mites actually hang out under the leafs so that's where you should spray. Also lay out some of those yellow, no-pest strips of sticky fly paper around the plant. Insects are drawn to the bright yellow color.

If it's still very early in flowering, you could wash the plants in the shower, especially under the leafs. This will actually remove most of the mites and eggs. It's the easiest way to get rid of them, they just wash away and down the drain they go. This method is great if the plants are still in veg but I would not recommend it if the plants are already well into flowering. Also, insects must breathe air so submerging the pots under water for say 10 minutes, will cause the buggers in the soil to abandon ship. It is actually interesting to watch all the mites swim for the surface. Then all you have to do is pull the plug and down they go. This will not hurt your plants as their roots can survive without oxygen for this short period of time. At least longer than the bugs.

Man, I'm sorry. Spider mites are really a pest, they just keep coming back, like roaches. They are by far the most irritating thing about growing. Although I have battled it out with spider mites many times, I'm no expert.

All I can say is that you will have to approach this problem from every direction, applying an assortment of remedies at the same time. These pesky critters grow resistant to almost anything over a few generations.

They thrive in hot and dry environments, neem oil and pyrethroids/pyrethrin are probably the most effective chemical remedies out there, along with nicotine.

But there are many more, like adding natural predators to the grow room.

You will find more information in this thread:

Spider mites AKA The Borg

Good luck!

-Kodiak-

AKDrifter

Kodiak,

Thank you for taking the time to post this guide!! I am starting up again soon and this is one hell of a great guide to review before starting up. I had quite a few questions on my mind before reading this one, especially loved the topping guide.

I was wondering on the kelp additives. Have you ever made you're own kelp teas or soil additives or just purchased commercially?

Thanks again.

P.S. Kodiak is one beautiful place to visit.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks AKDrifter

I'm glad that you liked the guides.

Regarding the kelp additives, I use a commerical extract on my indoor grow but for the plants that I grow outdoors I use real kelp and sea weed that I collect. I cut it into little pieces and add it to some compost. I usually make my own organic fertilizer for outdoor grows. I start with the compost and then add a number of things to boost it up a bit. Stuff like like sea shells, charcoal and sawdust for example, works great.

I guess that you could make your own kelp teas but the commerical stuff is not that expensive and outdoors it's easier to just add the organic material to the soil.

If you are looking for the commerical stuff, I can highly recommend the Alg-A-Mic from BioBizz, it's a very nice product.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Whats up? :)

I'm a big kelp advocate & that Alg a Mic looks like some really good stuff.
Mine is almost gone, time to try it out.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Hey Chef :)

Yeah, Alg-A-Mic is good stuff alright. It does go bad after a few months so you might as well use a lot of it while it's still fresh. I burn through a bottle of it pretty fast. Plants love it and it's great for foliar feeding as well.

C

Casual

+++ REP!! GREAT guide, thanks for taking the time and putting in the
effort to put this all together!!! Awesome!

S

Sirus

Excellent thread. Thanks for taking the time to put together and update this information. :)

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it.

It should help you get started. There is more to learn but you will pick that up along the way.

Even if you are not new to growing, you might still find some of the information interesting.

Good luck and have fun

-Kodiak-