What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rocky Soil

Styles

Went and put out some plants this week. So I dug some holes to put the plants in, pretty good spot, but underneath about 6" - 8" of soil there was lots of rock. I'm not sure if it was solid rock for the whole area or just chunks, but I was wondering if my plants have a chance of surviving in those conditions? Will the roots have room to grow? I'm going back out again this weekend so if the plants wont grow well there I'll have to go find a new area. Thanks.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
dig the rocks out, they are unlikely to be slabs, although when you get to one, it seems far bigger than it is.
it is worth that bit of trouble if it is a good spot.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Sounds like the ground here. I grew in containers for three years for that reason, then finally figured out:

1. Dig when the ground is wet.

2. Use a spading fork.

1186960555_557c9b7681.jpg

If the ground is that rocky, chances are the native soil is poor. Depending on the soil, you will probably want to dig out the hole, remove rocks from the soil, then replace about 20% of the dirt (put it back into the hole). Then bring in soil to your spot and basically treat the hole you dug like a huge container.

Good luck- stay safe.

Dig

G

Hi Styles,

My experience has led me to believe that the rock is not a major problem at all. I have several places that are very rocky. I try to get a 1'd x 2'w hole,but don't worry if you cant get that much, but get as much open soil as you can and then plant. If the soil is good and it can be, the roots will grow in and around and throgh the rocks. Underneath the rocks is moisture and the can actually be helpful due to that.

There is a very good clue as to what will happen with your plants. Look around and make some determinations about the natural vegetation. Is it weeds and are they growing well, giving an indication that their roots are successful, or is it small tree and shrub scrub that grows in the poorest of soils? Your plants roots have about the same probability as the natural vegetation for dealing with rocky soil.

Finally, smaller stature strains, single cola or just compact size will have much smaller roots and need less soil area overall than some plant like KC 33, which would overgrow a bushel basket. Ive had some afghani's perform very well in a 1x1' soil area and yield up to 8 oz.

Thats my nickel. Good luck / sb

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Right on, sb.

I do agree that you can leave rocks in the soil. The question is, how big are the rocks? If you have 6" or larger rocks directly below your plants, it would make sense to remove them and allow that space to be occupied by fertile soil, instead. But I generally don't bother removing rocks smaller than 4" or so, because I do think they play an important function in soil structure. i.e. moisture retention and serving as a harbor for all manner of soil biology.

As with all things outdoor, it really depends on the grower's specific situation/soil/goals. I tend to project my own grow situation on others subconsciously... when I hear of lots of rock, I think of rocky, sandy soil like mine. Styles, if your native soil is rich and has a good texture other than some larger rocks, just pull the largest directly below your plants, plop the seedlings in and see what they do.

Dig

G

A fork? Dignan, if yours looks like bongasaurus's, you guys need dynamite and a pick!

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Thats exactly what I thought after taking a shovel into the woods a couple times to dig holes. No matter where I went... KONK! Rock.

But with the spading fork, I came to realize that in many places, I'm not dealing with solid rock, but baby head rocks that CAN, with a little work, be extracted. Particularly when the ground is wet (which is rare, but does happen).

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Dignan said:
Thats exactly what I thought after taking a shovel into the woods a couple times to dig holes. No matter where I went... KONK! Rock.

But with the spading fork, I came to realize that in many places, I'm not dealing with solid rock, but baby head rocks that CAN, with a little work, be extracted. Particularly when the ground is wet (which is rare, but does happen).

yup, just scrape round them and eventually u can just lever them out.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Thought I'd bring this thread back and find out how people have changed their methods in the last 9 years.

So come on lads! What are the best ways to deal with rocky soil?

Latest posts

Latest posts