What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Major marijuana reform in Congress?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So if a 1000 visitors to Congress all lit up in the Congressional hallways ...

the 420 version of a Flash Mob ...

what would they be charged with, worst case ?

federal buildings are federal property, so you would get cited at bare minimum. depending on the officers involved & sense of humor that day...:biggrin:

Gry

Back in the early seventies I smoked in damn near every building of any merit in DC.
I would take in a roach and wait for the right moment do one big hit and eat it.
I figured at some I would get a rash of shit or be busted for some annoyance charge. The worst that ever happened was security people doing the rolled eyes thing .
Can't imagine it is that way now, even with DC being legal.

I wish I could feel better about how this country will treat cannabis long term. How we feel it means less than nothing.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the early seventies I smoked in damn near every building of any merit in DC.
I would take in a roach and wait for the right moment do one big hit and eat it.
I figured at some I would get a rash of shit or be busted for some annoyance charge. The worst that ever happened was security people doing the rolled eyes thing .
Can't imagine it is that way now, even with DC being legal.

I wish I could feel better about how this country will treat cannabis long term. How we feel it means less than nothing.

cops have only gotten more fascist. They beat and murder people on a regular basis for doing nothing. If you lit a joint in a federal building in d.c. They'd probably assault you, stick their fingers down you're throats till you puked up the roach, and then charge you with a felony. They'd say your joint smoking was a protest, and protesting in a federal building anywhere near secret service, has been made a felony, according to the law H.R. 347.

paper thorn

Veteran
sched 2 probably wouldn't hurt, probably wouldn't help either
except for some big corporate players to get into the game
but wiping out what we have? not happening, it's gone too far
sessions is trying to use the existing sched 1 to roll back cannabis
and that's not happening, he's being rejected everywhere he goes
only way it could work is if the states start cooperating with him, and the states literally don't give a fuck what sessions wants
he may live in the 1980's but most others have moved on

yeah, states don't need to concern themselves with sessions and any stupid anti mj thing he does as long as there are state laws legalizing for rec or mmj.

i think the real enemy is schedule 2 of the CSA.

you guys who keep acting like it wouldn't hurt need to research it.

Hash zeppelin's point about schedule 1 not stopping heroin on the streets is valid. but the point of our progress is to not have to be a black market illegal thing.

sch 2 is where all of the pills and things are. you know the stuff your doctor prescribes for you, and you take the prescription to a pharmacy.

they do not sell any schedule 2 drugs anywhere else except pharmacies. so all mmj dispensaries would be forced to close. or they would have to make some kind of carve out in a federal law to allow dispensaies to sell it.

bummer is that even if they somehow got that carve out, the FDA would have to go through the whole testing and approval process that would take years if the way pharm drugs getting approved in the past is any indication. the gov is slow at these things sometimes.

you can bet that only exact 'doses' would be allowed and even though we know that smoking flower is the best way to self titrate to get the best 'dosage' for an individual, they will require everything to be in pill or patch form or the like. just like everything else in the pharmacy.

i don't think the FDA will approve doing dabs as a delivery method.

now recreational ----
there is currently no such thing that i know of as a schedule 2 drug that you can grow and sell raw. Think of oxycodone, oxycontin, etc, and are there rec stores where you can buy opium from stores that are growing poppies?
even the poppies are illegal.

so i think, and my opinion may be shit, but the only thing that can stop mmj or rec in states that pass state laws, is schedule 2.

Schedule 2 is the Trojan Horse of MJ.

Jhhnn

Veteran
If schedule 1 didn't stop retail I sure as Hell don't see how schedule 2 possibly could.

Schedule 2 may well change the nature of prescribed cannabis but it won't change a physician's ability to recommend non-prescription treatment or the availability on non-prescription cannabis under a legalization scenario, which is where it's headed.

oldchuck

Veteran
You have a point, Jhhnn. III or IV might be more appropriate though since Cannabis has such a low toxicity. More important I think is a distinction between a plant and a drug. There is also an important difference between recreational use and medical.

With medical we are currently only seeing vague approximations of appropriate Cannabinoid combinations and dosages for best treatments of various conditions. Much more research and clinical trials are needed. This means serious drug researchers and FDA approvals before most doctors will have the confidence to prescribe.

therevverend

Veteran
As long as Marijuana is a scheduled drug it's not going to help rec users. Valium is schedule 4, not any dispensaries selling that. All depends on how the feds want to enforce it.
The big thing about it being made Schedule 2, the feds will finally acknowledge it has medical value. So researchers will finally be allowed to test it. I hope the people keeping it Schedule 1 die horribly from the diseases it will eventually be used to cure.
Of course it will mean big pharmacy and big bucks. But it will help sick people.

Jhhnn

Veteran
As long as Marijuana is a scheduled drug it's not going to help rec users. Valium is schedule 4, not any dispensaries selling that. All depends on how the feds want to enforce it.
The big thing about it being made Schedule 2, the feds will finally acknowledge it has medical value. So researchers will finally be allowed to test it. I hope the people keeping it Schedule 1 die horribly from the diseases it will eventually be used to cure.
Of course it will mean big pharmacy and big bucks. But it will help sick people.

Agreed wrt research. OTOH, a variety of drugs are available by prescription & OTC, the only differences being the strength or recommended dosage. Hydrocortisone cream & ibuprofen come to mind.

paper thorn

Veteran
If schedule 1 didn't stop retail I sure as Hell don't see how schedule 2 possibly could.

because sch1 makes it illegal so we get a black market.
and states legalizing if they can get the votes.

schedule 2 even 3 or 4 are no good.

just go look up what sch2 actually is and what it does.

i've lost this argument because the numbahs are against me. but in parting, because i just can't help myself...

back in the late 60s and early 70s, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a hippy speedfreak.

that's what they were called. Speedfreaks.

They were getting black beauties and little white pills, which we called white crosses. Those were methamphetamine. anyway, lots of speed, mostly coming from scrip docs who the hippies all knew which ones would prescribe whatever they want.
True some still over=prescribe things like oxy, but they get found out eventually and busted.

All those old scrip docs got busted. Rules were put in place to track every pill from the manufacturer to the pharmacy to the consumer.

Speedfreaks disappeared. people learned how to make speed. Meth became a problem on the black market.

Maybe you guys are right about MMJ getting some kind of never before been done 'carve out' so they can still sell dabs and flowers. maybe they'll be able to sell and stay open with just pills and patches.

It would be the only sch2 drug to be sold anywhere but a pharmacy, but who knows right?

but rec would have to go away because then it would straight up be a 'drug'. a pharmaceutical drug. good luck having 'recreational' drug stores. lmao.

that's one reason i never wanted to see this Medical thing happen. Puts MJ into the 'drug' category.

Nor do i like the term 'recreational' either. Makes it sound like party supplies.

i know a guy who's 73, and still calls smoking pot, 'getting blasted'. I tell him it doesn't get me 'blasted', nor drunk...

i will be going to CO in a few months to do some visiting, so i'll get to go into a rec store and buy legally without a med card. that'll be kinda cool.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Most of the white crosses in the 60’s and 70’s were prescribed to housewives needing a “pick me up” (mothers of baby boomers). A friend’s mother had jars of them and they were teeny…you needed 4 to get a move on. Beauties were a different story.

I think the common name for the adult generation at the time (or the prescribed) was “pep pills”.

Last edited:
All I know is I grow, and will grow until I physically can't. I started growing in a place where 4 plants got you a felony with a 5 year minimum 20 year maximum, and I didn't let that stop me. The government will do what ever it wants and so will I.

I should make this my sig, its how i feel amd how ive always done as well

paper thorn

Veteran
betterhaff - truckers used to just call them 'little white pills'

remember that good ols song, 'Six Days On The Road"

'I'm taking little white pills and my eyes are opened wide,'

ok this is too good, i'm going to go find it on youtube to post it right here

this is Dave
Dudley doing Six Days on the Road
performed at the Grand Ole Opry in 1966

Thumbs up if you know what a 'Georgia Overdrive' is.

[YOUTUBEIF]MZ8pOXbS8HY[/YOUTUBEIF]

(ICC is the Interstate Commerce Commision) they were in charge of busting truckers.