What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing cannabis

I stumbled upon this YouTube video of this Massachusetts grower washing his plants after harvesting them. interested in this i did a Google search and found on another forum this whole post about washing buds from this guy doc bud. is anyone familiar with this? I haven't found much on icmag about it unless im not looking in the right spot but from what I've read it's 3 sometimes 4 5 gal buckets one filled with warm water with a cup of lemon juice and a cup of baking soda the next one hot water then the third cool water not ice cold but not warm. I guess if you have PM you'd use 4 buckets the first filled with a hydrogen peroxide water mixture then the following 3 as above. there were a lot of positive reviews people who have done it say the buds are brighter tastier smoother and more potent. as my grow is coming close to harvest I'm going to be trying this. if anyone has experience with this please feel free to share your experiences. I know people will say you're washing thricomes away but I don't think that I mean I know what water hash is but when making water hash you're using ice in the bucket with freezing cold water when washing the buds you're not using ice cold water there's nothing in the bucket to agitate the trichs off the buds the thing you're washing off is dust dirt bugs chemicals if you spray feed I read this guy did it with his outdoor one year and found bird poop in the water after the buds came out. but yeah I'll be trying this and will be giving my results if I remember I'll film the whole process

Tburbary

Post bud washing is a must in my regimen. Makes all my meds more vibrant and clean.

Would never go back to not washing after you see the final product.

yts farmer

Veteran
I've seen a video on YouTube of the guy rinsing his harvested buds in water and hydrogen peroxide because he had some issues with powdery mildew.

But can't say i ever seen or heard the term washing buds.

Sure your not referring to water curing?

Peace.

G

Gr33nSanta

I rinse all my buds in a 5 gal bucket filled with tap water (tap water is good around here)

I give them a whirl in the water then I spin them (think car wash) to shake the water off and hang them in front of a mild air flow. Once they been hanging for an hour or 2 in front of air flow I typically move them to a section with less airflow.

I change the water between plants, I wash anywhere from 2 to 6 ounces before changing the water.

I dont use anything in the water, just water.

yts farmer

Veteran
I rinse all my buds in a 5 gal bucket filled with tap water (tap water is good around here)

I give them a whirl in the water then I spin them (think car wash) to shake the water off and hang them in front of a mild air flow. Once they been hanging for an hour or 2 in front of air flow I typically move them to a section with less airflow.

I change the water between plants, I wash anywhere from 2 to 6 ounces before changing the water.

I dont use anything in the water, just water.

Can you say why you wash/rinse your buds Gr33nSanta

I rinse off all my outdoor plants. I hang whole plants or large branches upside down from clothes line or trees in my yard. Then rinse off carefully with plain tap water... I do this to rinse off any dirt, dust, bugs, bug poop, and any residues that maybe left from my ipm plan.

I started doing this atleast 15 years ago trust me done carefully you are not rinsing thc off..... Ive had rinsed plants test over 20%

Stonehedge out!:tiphat:

YetiOG

I rinse off all my outdoor plants. I hang whole plants or large branches upside down from clothes line or trees in my yard. Then rinse off carefully with plain tap water... I do this to rinse off any dirt, dust, bugs, bug poop, and any residues that maybe left from my ipm plan.

I started doing this atleast 15 years ago trust me done carefully you are not rinsing thc off..... Ive had rinsed plants test over 20%

Stonehedge out!:tiphat:

Makes sense to cleanse outdoor weed or wash of pm but otherwise there's zero reason to put water to buds IMO. I would never do that shit to my indoor grown flowers

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Makes sense to cleanse outdoor weed or wash of pm but otherwise there's zero reason to put water to buds IMO. I would never do that shit to my indoor grown flowers

The whole time I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking, 'That's gonna knock the trichomes right off the bud. Which I don't want to do.'

It might make sense for outdoor buds, but is there any good reason to rinse indoor buds?

Gry

I rinse off my veggies, kinda makes sense to rinse off the canna growing along side them.

G

Gr33nSanta

Funny how people against it have never even tried it. I rinsed my buds for the first time years ago to wash off spidermites and I was so happy with the end result that I never hang buds to dry without washing them first.

You can say I suck at growing because I have spidermites but my buds are never sprayed with any oils or chemicals. I am a total pot snob, I don't recall the last time I puffed on weed that I did not grow, and yes, I wash my buds, whether they look 100% clean at harvest, or not :)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm not saying against it, if you're talking to me. I'm just saying, doesn't it stand to reason that swishing your buds around in some water is going to knock a substantial amount of the good stuff off? Somebody tell me I'm wrong and why, and I might try it. I like cleanliness as much as the next pot head.

G

Gr33nSanta

Why are your buds so dirty that you feel the need to wash them :laughing: :tiphat:

feel free to have a look at my journal in the organic subsection

I was not talking to you Jellyfish, but to everybody that seems to make fun of the process.

I'm not saying against it, if you're talking to me. I'm just saying, doesn't it stand to reason that swishing your buds around in some water is going to knock a substantial amount of the good stuff off? Somebody tell me I'm wrong and why, and I might try it. I like cleanliness as much as the next pot head.

Hey Jelleyfish! If you're growing indoors you might not have a reason to wash your buds. I don't know, I've never flowered female plants indoors. I do grow in greenhouses year round (can do in Hawaii) and I wash all my plants post harvest. I just use 3 buckets or 3 clean dedicated trashcans (depending on plant size) of pure water. All sorts of dust, weed seeds, bugs and/or bug stuff and spray residue comes off in the first bucket, less in the second bucket and by the time I get to the third bucket the water stays clean. I do 10 dunks with some agitation in each can/bucket and the buds come out sparkling clean. I'll do post harvest washing for the rest of my life.

I spray pretty far into flowering too though. Mostly kelp and fulvic acid so it's more important for me to do than others probably.

Also, I scoped the buds the first couple times I tried it and I couldn't see a difference as far as tricome preservation. I suppose you could lose some trichs if you were really rough with the buds. I give them some good dunking, but I'm not going nuts with speed or force. I also give them a smooth pendulum type swing when they're done to get most of the water out.

You could give it a try on a few branches and see how you like it. Scope them before and after and see if you notice a difference. I doubt you will. I think fresh tricomes are stuck on pretty sturdily.

And finally, another advantage is that I believe it slows down the drying a little more which I like.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to see a photo comparison, washed vs. unwashed bud, fresh and dry.
If anybody feels free to do so.

Old Toker

I'm too much of a newb to have tried anything during harvest other than praying that I don't screw it up. That said.....if water knocked trichs off....wouldn't rain storms decimate the crop? Maybe it does....I don't know. I can say the one plant I ever finished outside had very good potency and it survived a minor hurricane/Tropical storm. Considering they are genetically designed to be grown outdoors....maybe the trichs are somewhat water resistant unless the temps on the trichs are lowered (ice water)? Again....I have no idea if that is the case....but it is an interesting idea.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts