What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aroma not translating into flavor

C

Columbo

I hear all these great stories of tasty, flavorful strains but unfortunately am yet to experience it myself in any of my own grown or even purchased weed. The closest I've come is my own grown Romulan after a one year cure smoked through a vaporizer. It had a nice, but subtle lemon flavor.

I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong or is flavor in smoke a subtle thing? Like identifying the flavors or tones of wine?

I grow outdoors normally using synthetic canna brand nutes. Flush for a week, sometimes two, with deionized water. Dry indoors in a cool, dry dark environment. Dry to 65rh then into glass cure jars and burp for a few days until 60-55rh and then leave in cure jar for curing. The jars always have great aroma and smell, some stronger than others, but never any noticeable taste to speak of. The smoke is normally pretty smooth.

All comments and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I hear all these great stories of tasty, flavorful strains but unfortunately am yet to experience it myself in any of my own grown or even purchased weed. The closest I've come is my own grown Romulan after a one year cure smoked through a vaporizer. It had a nice, but subtle lemon flavor.

I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong or is flavor in smoke a subtle thing? Like identifying the flavors or tones of wine?

I grow outdoors normally using synthetic canna brand nutes. Flush for a week, sometimes two, with deionized water. Dry indoors in a cool, dry dark environment. Dry to 65rh then into glass cure jars and burp for a few days until 60-55rh and then leave in cure jar for curing. The jars always have great aroma and smell, some stronger than others, but never any noticeable taste to speak of. The smoke is normally pretty smooth.

All comments and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try takeing up the hobby of home makeing compost. Imo nothing works as good as well amended and cured compost...:tiphat:

Stonehedge out!

rolandomota

Veteran
its phenotype dependant Dont be surprised its normal for most plants to not taste like anything. Thats why people use clones because tasty plants are more rare. Your doing everything right you just need some luck finding those special ladys.

Greenjeenz

I agree with rolandomota. Have some recent C99 and Black Domina. C99 seems to be pineapple pheno, smells great in the jar with vanilla undertones, smooth smoke and nice energetic buzz, but the smoke doesn't taste like much. Now the Black Domina smelled terrible growing, baby poo plus onions aromas, but after 3 month jarring, smells really lovely like red winey/port mixed with general floral smell. The smoke has a distinct sandalwood incense taste that's pleasant. Pretty typical indica buzz and not a daytime smoke unless a nap is also on the menu.

n_d_ledz

Have you tried using a bowl? I usually use a bong but if I find a unique flavor, a bowl will bring it out more. Joints, i taste less then from a bong.

And of of course, genetics will always play a huge factor.

C

Columbo

Try takeing up the hobby of home makeing compost. Imo nothing works as good as well amended and cured compost...:tiphat:

Stonehedge out!

I've been wanting to get into a more organic style of growing for a while now but keep putting it off. Will have to give it a go next grow.

its phenotype dependant Dont be surprised its normal for most plants to not taste like anything. Thats why people use clones because tasty plants are more rare. Your doing everything right you just need some luck finding those special ladys.

That's good to know it may not be my growing skills. I'll guess I'll have to keep searching for a tasty pheno then!

I agree with rolandomota. Have some recent C99 and Black Domina. C99 seems to be pineapple pheno, smells great in the jar with vanilla undertones, smooth smoke and nice energetic buzz, but the smoke doesn't taste like much. Now the Black Domina smelled terrible growing, baby poo plus onions aromas, but after 3 month jarring, smells really lovely like red winey/port mixed with general floral smell. The smoke has a distinct sandalwood incense taste that's pleasant. Pretty typical indica buzz and not a daytime smoke unless a nap is also on the menu.

That's a relief. My current grow has a burnt rubber aroma mid way thru when gently squeezed. I'm kinda hoping this smell doesn't translate through to taste this time round or a least changes into something nicer like your Black Domina.

Have you tried using a bowl? I usually use a bong but if I find a unique flavor, a bowl will bring it out more. Joints, i taste less then from a bong.

And of of course, genetics will always play a huge factor.

I was thinking smoking method might play a part too. I usually smoke with a bong and was thinking maybe something gets left behind in the bong water. I would have thought the joint would have been tasty to. Will have to get a bowl soon!

Thanks guys I think I have a good idea of where to go from here to get more flavor.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You're either consistently overfeeding or have just one or two elements in excess throughout the grow. Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and the buildup of excess elements causes flavor expression to be diminished.

ALL cannabis strains are capable of complex and crisp flavors, even when quick dried. It's not the drying or curing which makes it possible, it has to be present and unmuted in the first place.

Simply switching to organics won't make a difference, nor will changing your drying and curing practices. It comes down to feeding the plant just enough to be super healthy, without feeding so much it has excess nutrients to deal with.

Best advice I can give is to step back and work with only your base nutrients for a few grows. The closer you can get to feeding only what's needed, the louder and more crisply complex your flavors will get. Once you know how to work with *just* nutrients, then you'll be ready to play with additives.

Cannabis is the most deliciously awesomely flavored thing on the planet for me. Nothing else is as delightful and satisfying to my senses. :)

~star~crash~

You're either consistently overfeeding or have just one or two elements in excess throughout the grow. Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and the buildup of excess elements causes flavor expression to be diminished.

ALL cannabis strains are capable of complex and crisp flavors, even when quick dried. It's not the drying or curing which makes it possible, it has to be present and unmuted in the first place.

Simply switching to organics won't make a difference, nor will changing your drying and curing practices. It comes down to feeding the plant just enough to be super healthy, without feeding so much it has excess nutrients to deal with.

Best advice I can give is to step back and work with only your base nutrients for a few grows. The closer you can get to feeding only what's needed, the louder and more crisply complex your flavors will get. Once you know how to work with *just* nutrients, then you'll be ready to play with additives.

Cannabis is the most deliciously awesomely flavored thing on the planet for me. Nothing else is as delightful and satisfying to my senses. :)

nice post! :respect:

C

Columbo

Thanks for the advice. I mostly just use canna terra base nutes (vega and flores). I used pk 13/14 for the first time last grow and have never even used the canna boost (although I may try it this time). I could be consistently over feeding during veg and flower but I always lower nutes toward the end and flush with deionized water. By harvest time my plants have that lovely leaf fade with yellows, pinks, oranges and other autumn colors.

My tap water ec is very high at 0.8. So maybe there's something in there prohibiting flavor expression? It's very Iron rich I believe but could be other elements too. I'm mostly doing Sativas and am currently watering/feeding every day at total ec = 1.4 (0.8 tap water + 0.6 nutes) during flower. My plants show no overt signs of nutrient burn or toxicity. Smoke is almost always smooth and aromas are great.

I might have to try and take your advice for next grow and feed sparingly or feed every other day. Since this one is mostly done and lots of yellow leaves already.

Thanks

Moe Funk

You really should grow organic to get the most out of your budz. The plants make good use out of the full array available in a rich soil that's real tough to duplicate synthetically.

A good clean bong filled with ice and fresh water will give you the best flavor. I clean mine religiously, makes a big difference. Fuck bowls I'd smoke a good bong over a bowl any day uh da week! Bowls are pretty nasty imvho.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I could be consistently over feeding during veg and flower but I always lower nutes toward the end and flush with deionized water. By harvest time my plants have that lovely leaf fade with yellows, pinks, oranges and other autumn colors.
This is good. However, should you have too much of some specific element in the mix, the excess can and will be bound to new growth cells, where it will not flush out. It's basically painted inside new growth and a month of plain water will never touch it. :)

Lucas Formula, 8:16 is pretty close to being balanced for no overfeeding of any single element. I'd work with nutrient calculators for your nute line and get as close to those values as possible.

Crisp, clean and complex flavors... When you get it right, people will swear it's the tastiest and most subtly complex "Organic" they've ever had. lol :tiphat:

C

Columbo

You really should grow organic to get the most out of your budz. The plants make good use out of the full array available in a rich soil that's real tough to duplicate synthetically.

A good clean bong filled with ice and fresh water will give you the best flavor. I clean mine religiously, makes a big difference. Fuck bowls I'd smoke a good bong over a bowl any day uh da week! Bowls are pretty nasty imvho.

Intuitively I would have thought that water filtered would be less tasty since some terpenes are water soluable. But ice water would have lower solubility so should be more tasty than room temperature water at least I would imagine. Yeah my bong could probably do with a clean too. Thanks

This is good. However, should you have too much of some specific element in the mix, the excess can and will be bound to new growth cells, where it will not flush out. It's basically painted inside new growth and a month of plain water will never touch it. :)

Lucas Formula, 8:16 is pretty close to being balanced for no overfeeding of any single element. I'd work with nutrient calculators for your nute line and get as close to those values as possible.

Crisp, clean and complex flavors... When you get it right, people will swear it's the tastiest and most subtly complex "Organic" they've ever had. lol :tiphat:

Gotcha. I'm not sure if they stock Lucas Formula in my region but will keep an eye out for it. Thanks

PDX Dopesmoker

Any water in your smoking deceive is going to remove some flavor from the smoke, if it didn't then bongwater would be ordorless, so I'd avoid bongs, hookahs, bubblers, dab rigs and chalices if you want to kick up the flavor by switching smoking devices. If you want to increase the flavor density of your product, how about dry sifting it & then squishing your sift to rosin? That will concentrate the flavor & its not too much work. Rosin squished from dry sift and smoked off a steel screen is full of flavor and no slouch in the THC department either.

C

Columbo

Any water in your smoking deceive is going to remove some flavor from the smoke, if it didn't then bongwater would be ordorless, so I'd avoid bongs, hookahs, bubblers, dab rigs and chalices if you want to kick up the flavor by switching smoking devices. If you want to increase the flavor density of your product, how about dry sifting it & then squishing your sift to rosin? That will concentrate the flavor & its not too much work. Rosin squished from dry sift and smoked off a steel screen is full of flavor and no slouch in the THC department either.

Yeah I thought water might inhibit the flavor a little. Mostly a flower smoker myself but always do a bit of water/ice hash with the trim. Will do dry sieve this time so will see it that helps. Rosin seems a little too hardcore for me. I'm just a medium to light smoker so don't wanna wreck my tolerance. Thanks forthe ideas though.

Latest posts

Latest posts