What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Smoking Marijuana Cause or Prevent Cancer

Redbuddz

High all
Tons of info coming out these days on the medicinal values of marijuana but here is one that seems most interesting. I recently heard on a tv show that they are now finding that longtime pot smokers actually have less chance of acquiring cancer compared to others that don't and they actually said in some small degree it actually prevents cancer. So my question here is for people who are say 40+yo and have been smoking pot for 20+ years. I would like to hear if you have had or not had cancer and/or also if anyone knows of a lifetime pot smoker who has had or not had cancer. I think this will be a very good thread to possibly see if this myth is true or false
May we all live a Healthy Life
God Bless
Redbuddz

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i have had 2 bouts with skin cancer, and have a close relative fighting pancreatic cancer at the moment. no lung cancer in family. both of us have smoked weed for over 40 years. what limited resaeach i have read says that pot smokers that also smoke tobacco have a lower rate of lung cancer than folks only smoking tobacco. an interesting hint at a potential protective effect, huh? boy, big pharma & the Cancer Society won't like that! "son of a BITCH! after all these years warning them that smoking is bad & what do those smart-ass researchers find? DAMN it...":tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment according to some great doctor that I can't remember the name of right now.

Cannabis, I would suspect, helps to create an alkaline environment and as such would be a preventative for cancer.

As Hiprocratese sort of said.
Let food be thy medicine.

rolandomota

i been smoking for 20 years but need 9 more years to be 40. One thing i have noticed is some people wont use weed to help with cancer even in their last days they refuse to touch the "evil" weed even if they smoked at one point in their life

Gmack

Cannabis causes cancer cell death in lab test. And leaves healthy cells alive. I think eating works better then smoking for ingesting the amounts of concentrates needed to do this in the human body.

brown_thumb

Most of the seemingly credible sources I've read indicate oral consumption is by far the best method, if not the 'only' way, to effectively use cannabis to prevent/treat cancer.

Galaxy420

High all
Tons of info coming out these days on the medicinal values of marijuana but here is one that seems most interesting. I recently heard on a tv show that they are now finding that longtime pot smokers actually have less chance of acquiring cancer compared to others that don't and they actually said in some small degree it actually prevents cancer. So my question here is for people who are say 40+yo and have been smoking pot for 20+ years. I would like to hear if you have had or not had cancer and/or also if anyone knows of a lifetime pot smoker who has had or not had cancer. I think this will be a very good thread to possibly see if this myth is true or false
God Bless
Redbuddz

the phytocannabinoids in cannabis plants are what are utilized in our bodies own endocannabinoid system... our endocannabinoid system is our bodies cancer defense system keeping cells in a state of homeostasis via biochemical pathways on the cell surfaces... when you ingest cannabis that adds cannabinoids to this fundamental system... so, it is what you body is doing with the compounds from cannabis that matters, not so much the compounds themselves etc...

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm 59, toked since high school, few years back I had lymphoma(sp) had it pretty bad, 8 months chemo, I'm still kicking.

No choice on the chemo, but did use gel caps throughout.

Spaventa

Veteran
IIRC smoking it reduces the anti cancer effect because THC-V gets converted to THC and THC-V plays one of the vital roles in eradicating cancer. Rick Simpson didn't decarb, winterise or nothing. just cooked off the solvent at cup warmer temperature and eat it.

purpleplayer007

...I'm not saying anyone on here blindly said it kills cancer.. I'm talking about when you're explaining it to other ppl...Mainly skeptics , or anti-weed-no-matter-what people.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
The best proof I can offer that cannabis doesn't cause cancer is the fact that we're in the process of legalizing it. If the authorities had a scintilla of evidence of weed causing cancer, don't you think they would have dragged it out by now? Wouldn't they be hitting us over the head with it every day?

brown_thumb- Care to cite some sources?
Most of the seemingly credible sources I've read indicate oral consumption is by far the best method, if not the 'only' way, to effectively use cannabis to prevent/treat cancer.

purpleplayer007

I agree. They probably know more than we think..And if they had a grain of salts worth of evidence that it's carcinogenic , we would hear ALL about it. The most they say is the smoke causes cancer.

Last edited:

purpleplayer007

I don't have the source right here, but have even read that cigarette smokers are less likely to get lung cancer if they smoke weed regularly.

Spaventa

Veteran
Seems decarbing it for THC and THCV would be the way to go with cancer. Raw would be good for epileptics who need the THCA

High all
God Bless
Redbuddz

Been smoking almost 20 years, mid 30's and I'm fighting cancer as we speak, currently recieving chemo as I type. So, even if cannabis has some protective mechanisms/elements it's not an A to B type of situation.
The cancer that I have has nothing to do with smoking, just bad luck.

I'm using 1.5-2g of decarbed bud eaten 3-4 times a day, it completely replaces IR oxycodone @ 5-10mg and alprazolam @ 0.5mg and helps me to sleep! Doctors wont believe that though and are either surprisingly politically gagged or just try to act childishly stupid about MMJ.

Latest posts

Latest posts