What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACTA stop it now!

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
wow i'm shocked at the lack of outrage at this ACTA bs, it's like people got tired out by sopa and are now just ignoring the subject of ACTA, which is actually worse in some ways.

this site will be finished if acta passes internationally, sites with content thats deemed illegal can be shut down from the country it's deemed illegal in. or if some member posts a link to a copy righted ebook or documentary, we get three strikes and then the site is shut down. do you realize the amount of extra work it would need to moderate every post before its let appear on the site? but anyway even having info about growing will be enough to make ips stop your access to such sites. i can't believe there is so little discussion going on about this secret treaty our world leaders are being lobbied and bribed in to passing.

People are too busy watching videos of cats farting on YouTube to give a shit. Sad but true.

Plus Americans already lost a chance to care when our current dictator decided to go ahead and sign this in secret without input from ANYONE, including congress.

Also, did that "illegal to talk about illegal things, even if they are legal where you do it" bill pass? Because that combined with ACTA would spell an immediate end to this wonderful site, and probably lots of prosecutions. WAKE THE FUCK UP PEOPLE.

THC123

Veteran
goddammit now even fileserve and filesonic arent hosting files anymore , i paid for 6 month membership

there are so many series and documentaries that never get to europe , the internet is the only way, now they are taking this away from us, also very old movies and such will get lost

i hope torrent stays active

what a bullshit world

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
pirate bay

pirate bay

i hope torrent stays active

I hope too my friend.........

http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-isps-ordered-to-block-the-pirate-bay-120111/

Dutch ISPs Ordered To Block The Pirate Bay

Despite claims that freedom of expression is at stake, today a pair of ISPs have been ordered to block The Pirate Bay. Following a demand from Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN, the Court of The Hague ruled that Ziggo, the largest ISP in the Netherlands, and competitor XS4ALL have to block subscriber access to the world’s most famous torrent site. XS4ALL say they are “bitterly disappointed”, noting that fundamental rights have been traded for “commercial interests”.
tpb.jpg
In 2010, Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN went to court to try and force Ziggo, the largest ISP in the Netherlands, to implement a DNS and IP address block of The Pirate Bay.
To help avoid a damaging legal precedent, Ziggo was joined in the case by rival ISP XS4ALL. Initially the partnership was successful. The Court of The Hague decided that blocking all customer access to The Pirate Bay was a step too far. BREIN, refusing to give in, launched a full trial.
During November last year that case was heard before the Court of The Hague. BREIN argued that it would be trivial for the ISPs to initiate a block of The Pirate Bay, while the ISPs stated that doing so could compromise the security of their networks, threaten freedom of expression, and would ultimately prove ineffective.
BREIN countered by insisting they have rights too – copyrights – and that the reason the ISPs don’t want to block TPB is because they profit by selling bandwidth to users so they can access it.
Today, the Court of the Hague delivered its verdict – and it’s victory for BREIN.
The Court noted that approximately 30% of Ziggo subscribers and 4.5% of XS4ALL subscribers use The Pirate Bay to share unauthorized media. Downloading copyright material is currently legal in the Netherlands but uploading is not, so due to the two-way nature of BitTorrent it is deemed that those customers are infringing copyright.
While the Court noted that an ISP blockade against The Pirate Bay would also prevent subscribers with legitimate business from accessing the site, it said that the legal offerings available there are not only limited, but also available from other sites. Preventing a large number of copyright infringements trumps the availability of a more limited supply of legal content, the Court noted.
Furthermore, the Court concluded that in granting an injunction to block The Pirate Bay it would only be preventing access to a site already subject to a court order which forced its operators to block access to Internet users in the Netherlands. That order was previously issued by the Amsterdam Court but was ignored by the site’s operators.
Spokesperson for XS4ALL, Niels Huijbregts, said the company is “bitterly disappointed” by the decision, noting that fundamental rights had been traded for “commercial interests”.
The ISPs have ten days in which to initiate the blockade – failure to do so will result in fines of 10,000 euros per day.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
more corporatism... i'm fed up with corporations pushing their power around.

they need a bitch slap or two...

wake up people...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
a whole bunch of demos planned for the 11 of feb, i'm going to my local one for sure. not been to any demos for ages, but this is worth standing up for.

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
Join the international day of action against ACTA on Feb. 11
6:37pm | 1 February 2012,

On February 11, the world will be out in an unprecedented showing of solidarity against ACTA. Protests are being organized all over the globe to show the European Parliament that they must reject ACTA. Though many countries have signed the treaty already, if the EP rejects ACTA, it will be sent into the dustbin on history!

It's time we wielded the internet to defend the internet! Look below to see a list and map of where the protests are being held. Here's what you can do:

* If you want to attend one of the events below, click the link and RSVP (There are demonstrations listed for other days as well, so please double-check the date)
* If you know of another protest that is not listed, please let us know at info@accessnow.org
* If you want to start your own protest, even if you live outside of Europe, create an Event on Facebook and then send us the link to the event at info@accessnow.org.

And be sure to sign the petition calling on the EP to vote NO on ACTA: https://www.accessnow.org/acta

For more information on ACTA, read our booklet on why its so controversial (in 7 languages) and read our blog to see how it connects to PIPA and SOPA.

AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRITAIN
BULGARIA
CANADA
CZECH REPUBLIC
DENMARK
FRANCE
GERMANY
GREECE
HUNGARY
IRELAND
LATVIA
LUXEMBOURG
MALTA
NETHERLANDS
POLAND
PORTUGAL
ROMANIA
SCOTLAND
SLOVAKIA
SLOVENIA
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
These countries are holding demonstrations, and I urge any of you in Europe to join, Do a quick google search, there are literally hundreds of protests planned, all over. here's a map

B5GWT.png

http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-conten...012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-02-at-12.20.49.png

Last edited by a moderator:

oldbootz

Veteran
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Unfortunately we cannot link to other sites on this forum but it wont take long to find out if you have a local demonstration.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah sorry guys, i just feel facebook links are too hot for this site. people that are members there will be shown to be coming from this site. it's just best to not go to facebook from here, otherwise it's one more thing that place will know about you. if people would copy paste the link into a new window it wouldn't be so bad, but active facebook links are just against site policy.

but like you said a quick search about the acta demo for the 11 of feb 2012 will get you to the info.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
we are being criminalised in the name of a free market system that never existed,,

they are strangling all that is good in this world by using the sheep against us,,

wake up people,, fight or lose every last right,,

swapped our sanity for state priviledges,,

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." franklin

Preacher

yeah sorry guys, i just feel facebook links are too hot for this site. people that are members there will be shown to be coming from this site. it's just best to not go to facebook from here, otherwise it's one more thing that place will know about you. if people would copy paste the link into a new window it wouldn't be so bad, but active facebook links are just against site policy.

but like you said a quick search about the acta demo for the 11 of feb 2012 will get you to the info.
anonym.to works for Facebook too. This ain't the only hot site I've attended and the need to mask your referrer information is a need that's been sorted out already.

(http://anonym.to/? preceding any URL does it)

Easygrowing

Veteran
Interesting treat and scarry to think on

"They" will try to do as in China..shut down those port and those.Cant belive it can be real nope.."They" will newer get Europe on,on those train.How can some even get those thinking ?
and talk about freedom ??? man man man...

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
http://www.stopacta.info/

ACTA is legislation laundering on an international level of what would be very difficult to get through most Parliaments
Stravros Lambrinidis, Member of European Parliament, S and D, Greece
The European Parliament has had no representation in ACTA negotiations. Just accepting or rejecting an agreement is not an exercise of democracy as under the Lisbon Treaty.
Zuzana Roithova, Member of European Parliament, EPP, Czech Republic
It is extremely regrettable that democratic debate has been eliminated from talks that could have a major impact on such a fundamental freedom as free expression.
Reporters without Borders, European Parliament Sakharov Prize Winners
Any measures concerning people's right to go online need to be brought in through the proper democratic channels, not via self-regulation, and made into EU law
Andrea D´Incecco, public affairs manager from EuroISPA (Business association of European Internet Service Providers)
We can only assume that the final text could do great harm in developing countries and undermine the balance between the protection of intellectual property and the need to provide affordable medicines for poor people.
Rohit Malpani, OXFAM, from a press release criticising possible impact of ACTA.
We are in danger of ending up with the worst of both worlds, pushing IP rules, which are very effective at stopping access to life-saving drugs but are very bad at stopping or preventing fake drugs.
Michelle Childs of Médecins Sans Frontières, Nobel Peace Prize winners, has issued a very critical statement on ACTA.

btjunkie-chiuso.jpg

Last edited:
J

jonnybgood29

this is absolutely insane to believe that i live in a "democratic" country and not only havent heard about this until now, but had no vote whether it was signed or not! big business is doing what sci fi writers have written about for years and everyone just scoofed at! we are headed for a society completely run by corporations and we will be nothing but slaves!
and if we as americans sign petitions against the treaty, then we can be considered terrorists under the homeland security acts and disappear!

Skip

Veteran
Thousands of protesters came out all across Europe despite subfreezing temperatures!

"It's not acceptable to sacrifice the rights of freedom for copyrights," Thomas Pfeiffer, a leader of the Greens party in Munich where 16,000 people protested against ACTA...

The protesters are concerned that free downloading of movies and music might lead to prison sentences if the ACTA was ratified by parliaments. They also fear that exchanging material on the Internet may become a crime and say the accord will allow for massive online surveillance.

In Warsaw, some 500 protesters demonstrated, brandishing placards saying "No to ACTA," "Down with censorship" and "Free Internet." Several hundred turned out in the southwestern city of Wroclaw, the Baltic port of Szczecin and Poznan.

In Paris, about 1,000 people marched ACTA. "It's a demonstration without precedent because it's taking place in all of Europe at the same time," said Jeremie Zimmermann, spokesman for Internet freedom group Quadrature du Net.

In Prague, about 1,500 people marched against ACTA. Some waved black pirate flags with white skull and crossed bones, and others wore white masks of the Guy Fawkes character.

Some carried banners against the ACTA treaty such as "Freedom to the Internet" and "ACTA attacks Freedom," and chanted "Freedom, Freedom." Smaller gatherings took place in other Czech cities.

The Czech government has held off on ratification of the ACTA treaty, saying it needs to be analyzed.

Romanian state-news agency Agerpres said 2,000 people protested in the Transylvanian city of Cluj against ACTA, carrying banners that said: "Paws off the Internet."

In Croatia, protests were held in Zagreb, Split and Rijeka, with demonstrators, some masked, carrying banners reading "Stop internet censorship."

A group identifying itself as Anonymous hacked into the webpage of Croatian president Ivo Josipovic, who has defended copyright measures. It remained unavailable for several hours.

It also crashed the pages of ZAMP, a Croatian professional service that looks after the protection of composers' rights and copyright, and the Institute of Croatian Music.

In Bratislava, hundreds of young Slovaks rallied, many also wearing Guy Fawkes masks. About 1,000 people demonstrated in Budapest.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/11/us-europe-protest-acta-idUSTRE81A0I120120211

Last edited: