What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Attention to all online gaming enthusiasts

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS3, XBOX360, NINTENDO Wii, and of course P.C. users/ICM members must ALL be made aware of a recent security threat brought to the attention of admin here at ICM. In the hobbies and interests forum (as well as other forums on the site) admin has noticed that people are asking for other ICM gaming nics for getting together for some online gaming. Here at ICM when logged in you are safe while logged in to the ICM Server, but when on a gaming system playing a peer to peer (p2p) sharing online game you are wide open...I.E....if you hand out your ps3/xbox360 etc. etc. gaming nic/handle while correlating that to your ICM member name (in your post) it would be very easy for leo to figure out “where you are” by monitoring gaming threads on ICM to put a common denominator between your ICM member name and your gaming name. Your ip address (which your gamer nic is linked to is public although not visible on ICM) is a number that if not careful could lead unwelcome guests to your home & grow by associating your ICM member name to that of your gaming name. Long story short...ICM member XXXXX is now known publicly as XXXXX gamer due to replying to participate in such games here on ICM in their post(s).
This practice of getting together online is looked upon NO DIFFERENT then that stated in TOU 17.

What is exactly peer to peer (p2p) sharing when playing a video game with a PS3, for example? This means that the players must permit the server at Sony to connect their IP's and all this data is logged/saved. There are even PS3 games that permit online voice chat within the game. We do not condone such verbal meet ups....outside of meeting up to chat by text in the ICM chat room.

17. Social events: Outside of events that take place in Amsterdam, 4:20 cup, High Times cup etc we do not condone, encourage, nor permit discussions for private meet-ups. It is our hope that members retain their anonymity afforded them through the use of this site. Any member who attempts to solicit or arrange meet-ups is subject to immediate banishment. It is ultimately up to each member to protect their own identity by remaining anonymous at all times. Posts pertaining to private meet-ups/social events via VM's, reported PM's, or events not approved by Admin will be deleted. If you wish to make known an event, you must contact Admin for event approval prior to posting.

ICM Admin does not encourage any sort of private get together due to security purposes...whether ONLINE or OFFLINE.

Here's another example...a PC oriented game called 'World of Warcraft'...this is the type of game where you must make exceptions in your firewall in order to be able to participate in these online gaming adventures. The problem with this is, someone on here showcasing a 6k watt grow, and is also giving out their gaming handle, has given LEO a direct route to their house and garden through LEO correlating the two nics (their ICM nic used to post they'll play, and, the PS3 nic used to play the game.

For these reasons, ICM will not permit any threads pertaining to participating in exchanging information of gamer nic's/names, and therefore will delete all threads or posts soliciting this.

Last edited:

Marshall

I would think that most gamers would be aware of this, but for those that do not, its great information

I am still disappointed by ICM's attitude that they feel like they need to protect us and keep us isolated from each other.

Its really no different than our government. Big brother TELLS us what we can and can't do based on what THEY feel is safe and right. ICM tells us what we can and can't do based on what THEY feel is right. We can't meet up locally cause ICM doesnt like it, but we can meet up at High Times.

Ironic this happens on a cannabis board. Take a poll see what the users want

But the info on user NIC's linking to screen names here is very good

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We take pride in the fact that we keep this site safe and do what we can to keep people free and out of jail. We don't want our name associated with arrests and LEO involvment.

As for you comment regarding "ICM's attitude that they feel like they need to protect us and keep us isolated from each other", do you know how many people contact me wondering what to do because they are afraid because they gave their personal info to another member and things went bad? It happens every week. Do you know how many people would be passing around personal info thinking they were safe because people are members here if we didn't warn them not to do it?

Some people don't think. And we help them do that. And I could give a crap what High Times or anyone else does. It's our mission to continue to do what we can to keep people safe. And that's what we'll continue to do.......

I would think that most gamers would be aware of this, but for those that do not, its great information

I am still disappointed by ICM's attitude that they feel like they need to protect us and keep us isolated from each other.

Its really no different than our government. Big brother TELLS us what we can and can't do based on what THEY feel is safe and right. ICM tells us what we can and can't do based on what THEY feel is right. We can't meet up locally cause ICM doesnt like it, but we can meet up at High Times.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Woops, lol..... Edited....

If you want you can delete this and my other post... We can act as if the war of worldcraft thing never happened LOL :wave:

Find the "World of Warcraft" South Park... Its really funny... If you know an online gamer nerd? Its even more funny :tiphat:

[EDIT] Its called "Make love, not warcraft" LOL :)

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran

when i first signed up on OG over a decade ago i was under the idiotic impression that these sites were some sort of democracy.
now i understand the truth.
i have a stock response for those who think the latter now.
if you have an issue with how admin runs this site might i suggest the following options in no particular order.
I: take it up with them
II:delete your account and post elsewhere
III:realize it's their site not ours and play along
IV:make your own site and run it how you please
V:kill yourself (always an option in any circumstance)

i had several posts deleted last night.
do i think it was "right"? nope...
do i think i have a say so? nope...
will any amount of bitching change anything? nope...

it's the TOU...

if we dont like the terms of use
we dont have to use

MidwestsBest

You need to watch more South Park LOL :laughing:

Its "World of Warcraft"... I only know this because of South Park :blowbubbles:

"the sword of a thousand truuuuths.." lol:woohoo:

that episode is fucking GREAT. Honestly though...this is good advice....i wonder how many people got tricked in Wow by dirty Night Elves in Elwynn pretending they were fellow toking gnomes....