What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
"Anthony Bourdain, the gifted chef, storyteller and writer who took TV viewers around the world to explore culture, cuisine and the human condition for nearly two decades, has died. He was 61."

Condolences going out to him, his friends, family, and fans. His shows No Reservations and Parts Unknown were enjoyable and gave a unique insight to the world, as well as the people in it.

You will be missed.

Mr.Miner

Condolences to all of his family, friends, fans, former co-workers and employees. He was one of the greatest food writers, ever. His book 'Kitchen Confidential' showed what restaurant life is really like. He always told it like it was and never sugar-coated anything.

I was fortunate enough to bump into him when I was at culinary school. He came up to give a commencement speech and he was cool as hell. Later that night he went to the school's local watering hole and got shit-faced with a bunch of the students and had a blast with everyone- from what I was told at the time.
He was a real salt-of-the-earth man and chef, an extremely talented writer, and thinker and his loss is really tragic. I was stunned by the news.

RIP, chef. RIP.

Smokerman

Veteran
I read that he was on the road 250 days a year, it was hard on him and his young daughter.
He went through 2 marriages as well.
He came across as a really solid down to earth guy.
He will be missed.
RIP

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great guy, loved his shows and that one time in Morocco I swear he got baked.
Condolences to his family and friends, this sucks, wish he would have stuck around for longer instead of checking himself out.

N

noyd666

watched a show 2 nights ago, a man full of vibes just gone, R.I.P
picture.php

Green Squall

Watched Bourdains show from the beginning and he totally ignited my passion for cooking and adventurous eating. I've never been this shocked and saddened by a celebrity death. Just reading all of the outpouring of kind words today is proof he was loved. Especially touching were statements released by Andrew Zimmern and President Obama, who was a guest on his show. RIP.

insomniac_AU

Just four months before the beloved chef and TV personality died in a hotel room in France while filming, he eerily spoke about death in an interview with People magazine.
“I’m going to pretty much die in the saddle,” he told the magazine in February while filming his show Parts Unknown.
Bourdain said he spent about 250 days a year on the road — but wasn’t planning on retiring from his globetrotting life any time soon.
“I gave up on that. I’ve tried. I just think I’m just too nervous, neurotic, driven,” he said.
“I would have had a different answer a few years ago. I might have deluded myself into thinking that I’d be happy in a hammock or gardening. But no, I’m quite sure I can’t.”

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You just never know what someone is going thru on the inside. Pity as he will be missed by many.

insomniac_AU

You just never know what someone is going thru on the inside. Pity as he will be missed by many.

This might give some insight.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...s/news-story/48df9b7c51bcf0c3e70a91a0b00bc4a6

Years before the beloved celebrity chef took his own life in a hotel room in Paris, the vibrant and brutally honest personality was lauded for openly talking about his battles with drug addiction, the loneliness fame could bring and dealing with depression.
Whether he was reviewing food, sticking up for those who weren’t able to do so themselves or even addressing the times he’d considered suicide, Bourdain’s unique voice never wavered.
He never minced words or lied about his past, regularly speaking about his heroin addiction and the times he thought about ending his own life.
In October 2016, when Bourdain sat down with Marketplace, the publication asked him what the hardest part of his job was.
“Loneliness, separation from my daughter, existential despair. I’m on the road about 250 days a year and I stay in a lot of beautiful places and look out the window at a lot of beautiful views, but I am usually alone,” he said.
Bourdain was found dead in a Paris hotel room yesterday by his friend and fellow chef Eric Ripert after taking his own life. He was 61 and is survived by his 11-year-old daughter Ariane.
While he was open about his dark past, he also didn’t pull any punches when reviewing food.
“I ate at Johnny Rockets in an airport once and it opened up an abyss of depression and self-loathing, a spiral of self-hatred, rage, and despair that lasted weeks,” he told the publication.
In his 2000 book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly — the book that would propel him to fame — Bourdain spoke about using cocaine, heroin, LSD, weed and mushrooms.
“We were high all the time, sneaking off to the walk-in refrigerator at every opportunity to ‘conceptualise’. Hardly a decision was made without drugs. Cannabis, methaqualone, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms soaked in honey and used to sweeten tea, secobarbital, tuinal, amphetamine, codeine and, increasingly, heroin, which we’d send a Spanish-speaking busboy over to Alphabet City to get,” he wrote, referring to his time cooking in a New York City restaurant in the 1980s.

In an interview withThe Guardian in 2013, Bourdain admitted he took drugs as early as he could.
“I deeply resented the relative stability at my house. I started taking drugs as soon as I encountered them,” the chef said.
It was Bourdain’s sudden death that has many of his fans reflecting on his earlier years — something the celebrity chef did himself when he visited Massachusetts in 2014 and explored the heroin epidemic in an episode of his show Parts Unknown.
While working in Provincetown, Massachusetts, in the 1980s, Bourdain developed an addiction to heroin, or a “taste for chemicals”, as he called it.
At the end of the episode, Bourdain sat in a room with other recovering heroin addicts and spoke to them about how he got past it.
“I looked in a mirror and I saw somebody worth saving, or that I wanted to at least try real hard and save,” he said.
“I look back on that, and I think about what I’ll tell my daughter. You know, that was daddy, ain’t no doubt about it. But I hope that I’ll be able to say that was daddy then, this is daddy now — that I’m alive, and living, and hope.”
In an interview with Biography.com in 2016, Bourdain spoke about quitting heroin in the 1980s and whether or not he had a “charmed” life.
“I don’t know about ‘charmed’. But I’m still here — on my third life, or maybe fourth. Who knows? I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rear-view mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet,” he said.

Green Squall

Great guy, loved his shows and that one time in Morocco I swear he got baked.
Condolences to his family and friends, this sucks, wish he would have stuck around for longer instead of checking himself out.

He got baked on more than a few episodes. Pretty sure he was a Sativa guy since he requested a "cat piss" smelling strain on the Amsterdam show. RIP.

insomniac_AU

Looks like Bourdain lived life to the fullest....we all have our demons.

RIP

Isn't that the truth.
It's one of the downfalls of the human mind. We are capable of almost limitless imagination and experiencing amazing joy, compassion, euphoria and love. The flipside of this is we are also capable of experiencing debilitating depression, hate, despair and many other soul destroying things. I guess one is not possible without the other. I just fight to keep myself in the former state of mind.

Latest posts

Latest posts