What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMG_20230526_200543967.jpg
IMG_20230526_200557777.jpg
IMG_20230526_200906401_HDR.jpg

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...bunch of errands to run today...i was down to one teaspoon of bloom nutes by the time i finished mixing up for the day....so gonna need to get that and veg nutes today...and drop the derailleur off to get the fancy cage installed...and groceries again...and need to remember trim gloves...still a little left to finish up,but thankfully almost all done...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
got the titanium bottle cages and the fancy grade fanconium derailleur cage on..titanium frame,handlebars,seatpost,some random bolts,valve stems,and now bottle cages...

IMG_20230527_161131645_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230527_161141818_HDR.jpg

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why the hell not? watching geezers stroke out and go over guard rails should be every bit as fun/exciting as watching 2% body fat physical freaks pedaling through the Alps. it's like NASCAR; the fans go to see the wrecks...
plus i refuse to join the MAMILS..middle age men in lycra....

funny thing,the 40-60 year old riders are often waaay stronger riders than the youngsters.probably because of the extra length of time suffering translates well to riding a bike...i love climbing big hills but it also hurts and mostly sucks until you get to the top...

a little bike story...i waited to enter my first race until i could register in the 50 plus group...cross country mountain bike race on the local trails,10 miles,about 50% uphill...spent a couple months training for the race,rode out to ride the course like 15 times,8 miles each way just to get there,then 10 miles of race pace riding,learning every turn and rock in the trail...
race day, i ride my bike out to the race,bike is covered in hello kitty stickers with pink sparkly bar end tassels...riding a rigid steel single speed bike,sort of a tradition with single speed riders to have fun with it...so we're lining up for the start,i sort bull my way to the second row,all the young guns on their full squish carbon fiber bikes giving me the stink eye as if to say,"hey old dude,get in the back with the rest of the seniors"
so the start gun goes off...within a few hundred yards i'm passing the last racers,i'm out in front,one guy breathing down my neck,hit the singletrack and start climbing...i only had one gear,so you either stay on top of the gear or suffer greatly...so slowly but surely i start dropping the two guys behind me...not to mention the rest of the pack of 60 riders...as the climbing continues i'm seriously dropping the other two fast guys...to the point where i can't even see them anymore...get to the end of the climbing,good view back along the route...i see the two guys who were behind me,and from my past times on the route they're 10 minutes of hard riding behind me...
so i ended up beating the entire cat 3 field,not just my age group,but the whole field...my age group i won by almost 10 minutes...
then i got back on my bike and rode home...i'm still the only person who rode to the race,won,and rode home

Drumskinz

:tumbleweed:mornin campers...bunch of errands to run today...i was down to one teaspoon of bloom nutes by the time i finished mixing up for the day....so gonna need to get that and veg nutes today...and drop the derailleur off to get the fancy cage installed...and groceries again...and need to remember trim gloves...still a little left to finish up,but thankfully almost all done...
Until you’re not!!!