What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical first attempt

CyrilSneer

aero I need my bud love.......

:laughing:

I'll bet this would work great with Hempys. I don't know if I would have the nerve to chop limbs off my vegging plants though. I'm just at the end of a horizontal run next week. I could stack a 400 and 1000 for the next one but I don't know if I got the guts for it. 'sides, the plants I have ready to go were vegged from above :(

Maybe next run after I watch this one. I love it. :)

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
CyrilSneer, Yes, it's very difficult to chop healthy limbs of of plants but if you follow the experienced vert growers here, it's documented fact that it's the right thing to do.

Disco reminded me that even if you chop off the back side, you still have the same root mass. I know for a fact root mass will determine growth on the top side. So, when you chop off branches, the roots feed the remaining branches even harder. I am beginning to accept trimming with this new way to grow for me...

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I don't think horizontal vegging before vertical flower is that rare. All you have to do is trim the back instead of the bottom.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I don't think horizontal vegging before vertical flower is that rare. All you have to do is trim the back instead of the bottom.

Yes, exactly, just working the plant another way, too bad I can't post these pics because some of them show how the growth is solid all the way down to the buckets, lost the back side but the bottom branches are fat and making up for the lost branches in the rear.

D

DHF

Cyril....no guts , no glory......LOL.....Took me a loooong time when I started growin more smaller plants instead of less bigger ones to just blatantly hack out from underneath as well as inside the plants for optimal end results......and....

Aero`s so dead on about the one primary function of the plant in veg mode all the way through end of stretch in flower , is to build rootmass so nutrient uptake will be as efficient as possible to shoot juice to the upper and outer extremities of each plant once the scraggly shit behind , inside , and underneath has been trimmed , pruned , and shaped out for the efficient swellage of what`s left that the lights can easily penetrate till end of cycle.......

With my smaller plants I always pre-vegged with T-5`s to stack nodes and shorten internode spacing before goin into the bloom rooms with the hanging bare bulbs......

Once acclimated in the first week of 12/12 , the plants exploded with sideways as well as vertical stretch for the next 3 weeks or so to fill in the pre-determined sq ftg , till they stopped and backed up with hormonal changes for swellage till harvey.....

Good luck Aero.....DHF....:ying:....

CyrilSneer

Cyril....no guts , no glory......LOL.....Took me a loooong time when I started growin more smaller plants instead of less bigger ones to just blatantly hack out from underneath as well as inside the plants for optimal end results......and....

Aero`s so dead on about the one primary function of the plant in veg mode all the way through end of stretch in flower , is to build rootmass so nutrient uptake will be as efficient as possible to shoot juice to the upper and outer extremities of each plant once the scraggly shit behind , inside , and underneath has been trimmed , pruned , and shaped out for the efficient swellage of what`s left that the lights can easily penetrate till end of cycle.......

With my smaller plants I always pre-vegged with T-5`s to stack nodes and shorten internode spacing before goin into the bloom rooms with the hanging bare bulbs......

Once acclimated in the first week of 12/12 , the plants exploded with sideways as well as vertical stretch for the next 3 weeks or so to fill in the pre-determined sq ftg , till they stopped and backed up with hormonal changes for swellage till harvey.....

Good luck Aero.....DHF....:ying:....

great post .. its 10 pm here and DHF has got me wanting to go rip my grow room apart and toss the batwing :watchplant: damn!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
And more pix again

And more pix again

Well it is game on again.

Here is a 5 plant vert in a 8'x8'x7' room. LVPK day 30 or 31. There is only 1Kw in there but the Gardner is shooting for 2.5 or more. We'll see if he can average 8oz.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:joint:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yaaaay, Pics...

These pics are day 13 12/12 even though today is day 15. Due to upload issues these are a little behind the ladies, I'll get some day 15 posted as soon as the ladies wake up..

Here is a couple shots of the CM buds:

Here the GDP is throwin some flowers:

RB buds:

Here are some close ups:

And finally some horizontal pics of a vert grow lol:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
So my guess is the stretch is done. Did you take measurements at flip and today day 15? They look to be about twice as big as the bucket so 30" - 36"

I think you are going to have huge stacked buds with those two bulbs inside that doughnut.

So how long are you going to take it, this always is tricky with multi-strains going.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
They are still stretching, pics are confusing because they are day 13 shots. Day 15 they were about 38" guessing they will stop around 42" or so, I was hoping for more like 56" with the 2 lights. They were roughly 24" at flip..

I will get some day 16 pics posted when they wake up.

I am not too bummed about the height because the density is a bit more than expected so maybe it will be good at 40ish inches so I can keep the lights closer together.

No idea how long I am going to run them but I plan to let each strain finish nice and mature so I can decide which to mono crop next run.

As long as I can get 4 zips a plant, I'll be happy any more is a bonus, should keep me from buying meds for a while.... Looks like I will get it so far...

CyrilSneer

just like that !! :greenstars:

is your upper bulb above the canopy? or does it dip down in the hole a little bit?
looks like the 400 is just a few inches off the floor?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Your density will be Fing huge as long as they are happy with the mix and they look like they are. You have stalks that could support 72" any day so the connection is going to be M A D crazy!

If you didn't get 8oz per I'd start to worry about the strain.

Ok now on timing if they are all going to get their correct time and one is 10.5 weeks and one is a 8.5 weeker then you start flush at 7.5?

I love the GDP, and all good cannabis for that matter. Just thinking that the shorter indicas will call for the flush first.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
The flush will be tricky so if one is finishing early, I will flush with molasses to keep some P available for the late finishers. I might wind up with 10 day molasses and 10 day straight water for the flush..