What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum chamber thermometer

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These inexpensive LCD temperature strips work fine inside a vacuum chamber!

"Reversible Temperature Labels, Multi Temp Liquid Crystal Strips"

"RLC-60-90/120-10 In Stock $13.00 16 Temperature Levels Label, 90 to 120°F/32 to 49°C (2°F increments) in package of 10"

http://www.omega.com/pptst/RLC-60.html

I included the details and link as this may be the sole source.

I suppose with a vacuum oven you could stick them right on the dish.

nakadashi

This is awesome! Love the idea of glancing inside the vac chamber to make sure the temps are right, instead of releasing vacuum to check.

Momerath

Ive been wondering for a while now if something like this would work. Anyone else tried em yet? I'll be ordering some today and will let you guys know how they work out.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The adhesive on these is just right for sticking and unsticking on silicone parchment paper. I shortened the one in the picture. The indicated temperature when stuck to the parchment near the oil is extremely close to the temperature of the oil read close up with an IR thermometer.

Learned that the temperature of my oil is going up from 115F to 120F under vacuum. I guess I'll manually back the PID temperature controller down to match the temperature strip temperature during the initial vacuuming down. Little bit of a hassle, but now I know what's really going on.

I can't find these anywhere, but direct from Omega.

Attachments

• 002A.jpg
    002A.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16

juggo

Hello,
The vacuum chamber i bought (Thomson w/ 2 stage 3cfm) specifically said do not heat the chamber.Would it be a problem putting a 100 degree marble rock in the chamber to keep the oil warm?I have been just removing it and rewarming it every once in a while.Thanks.

peace,
juggo

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello,
The vacuum chamber i bought (Thomson w/ 2 stage 3cfm) specifically said do not heat the chamber.Would it be a problem putting a 100 degree marble rock in the chamber to keep the oil warm?I have been just removing it and rewarming it every once in a while.Thanks.

peace,
juggo

I have a five gallon Thomas Performance Parts' aluminum vacuum chamber, and have had no problem with the bottom heated to ~120F, and I've had it up to ~135F without much worry. The vendors at ebay were claiming safety up to 170F... but I don't see anyone claiming anywhere near that now, I guess they had failures.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
SkyHighLer!

Brilliant!!! Love your contributions brother.

Unfortunately ..."I have given out too much Reputation in the last 24hours "

Sooooooo....
I'll be back.
Much respect,
[sd]

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Skyhighler,guess i will find a heating pad or reptile mat.

peace,
juggo

The silicone heaters with any type of controller, be it a lamp dimmer, variac, DIY PID controller, or plug and play PID controller like the Dorkfood DSV, are the way to go. Omega never seems to have the twelve inch rounds in stock, so I'm inquiring of the Chinese via ebay for a better deal with quick delivery. Here's what I'm trying to get a sample of minus the adhesive backing and sensor,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271456257412&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I'm thinking if I do this, maybe the vacuum chamber sellers at ebay will start offering these heaters with their package deals.

Update: That Chinese vendor is responsive, and communicates well in English. The total was $66.50 for a 12" round, 110V, 500W etched foil silicone heater. The same heater would have been $77 from Omega if I'd wanted to wait a month plus for delivery.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We gave up on Omega and Briskheat delivery schedules and have been importing ours from China. Even the custom made ones are only a week or two delivery air mail.

More attractively priced in bulk.

Try Shenzhen Ali Brothers Technology Co, LTD and ask for Siva. She has treated us right.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The silicone heaters with any type of controller, be it a lamp dimmer, variac, DIY PID controller, or plug and play PID controller like the Dorkfood DSV, are the way to go. Omega never seems to have the twelve inch rounds in stock, so I'm inquiring of the Chinese via ebay for a better deal with quick delivery. Here's what I'm trying to get a sample of minus the adhesive backing and sensor,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271456257412&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I'm thinking if I do this, maybe the vacuum chamber sellers at ebay will start offering these heaters with their package deals.

Update: That Chinese vendor is responsive, and communicates well in English. The total was $66.50 for a 12" round, 110V, 500W etched foil silicone heater. The same heater would have been $77 from Omega if I'd wanted to wait a month plus for delivery.

I've asked Omega over and over on the phone and in emails to consider keeping the 10" and 12" rounds in stock, I even included pictures of my vacuum chamber setup. Still a nice site to window shop... ;-)

The sweet:

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

Hi,

Thank you very much for your recent order with us.

Your freshly made silicone heater is now on the way to you.
Please kindly find attached a picture of them for your reference.

We included a small gift in the package for you.
Hope you will like it.

Have a nice day!

(Just want you to know that we will ship the expedited way for you as we just noticed that we mistakenly listed it with free expedited shipping while it was supposed to be shipped with postal air mail. It was our mistake and we will pay the extra shipping freight. We are happy that you can have it earlier. Hope you will be too.)

Best Regards

Johnny Tang

- keenovo"

This is just the thumbnail, I couldn't copy the full frame version, it appears perfect, I'll post a pic when I get it.

Attachments

• $_0.JPG
    $_0.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

neeee1

hey sky where did you pick up the plug that you wired up to your omega? you think home depot might carry them?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, well, I'm not perfect... I finally got around to doing a run using the LCD temperature test strips inside the vacuum chamber, and I think they may be loosing accuracy under vacuum, anyone else have a suggestion for a thermometer I can safely place entirely inside the chamber?

Btw, I tried the MZ12X Organic Degreaser (dimethyl ether) a couple of days ago, strips hard and fast. I used the quick soak Mason jar technique, two washes, one whole can for an ounce of ground nugg. I like the result, same or better yield with better flavor, slightly darker color. Too cold to work with for my old bony hands, and way too expensive to blow off to atmosphere, I'm back to butane...

Last edited: