What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone with experience with 1991 Honda Fourtrax TRX300FW??

mayorofthdesert

you can check the coil with a multi meter measuring resistance from the + to - terminal and also from the high voltage wire to the positive feed wire. if I recall correctly any resistance (ie not zero, a broken internal connection or infinite, an internal short.) please double check this info, i'm not an actual mechanic.

M

moose eater

Not certain yet, but I believe I'm in range of striking pay-dirt, and successfully concluding another 'parts safari.'

One in rural Oregon, not yet pulled, but with minimal effort through the fan protective grate/face, the blade spins a full circle with a minor shove. Will inspect wiring, seals, etc., as of tomorrow morning. Grand price of $50, plus a medium flat rate USPS box, and limited handling/packaging fee.

Another prospect in Ohio, but also need to confirm that one tomorrow morning. no quotes yet.

By the time my spine's able to ride a wheeler, and I can accompany someone from my family filling a dip-net permit's quota at Chitina, the Fourtrax should be functional. We'll see.

Couple of front coil-over struts, maybe 2 rims for the front, and a couple tires, and she'll be a fine bush buggy.

M

moose eater

Thanks mayor.

We solved the intermittent spark issue by replacing the most likely suspect; the CDI/ignition module.

But for a pittance in change, threw in an OEM coil for good measure. I think it was at or about $20. Maybe less.

Other issues are coming along quite famously.

Seems I'll get my boat, sno-go's and wheeler decked out and repaired or rebuilt during my down-time, so they're ready when my spine is.

Good timing!

Thanks again.:tiphat:

you can check the coil with a multi meter measuring resistance from the + to - terminal and also from the high voltage wire to the positive feed wire. if I recall correctly any resistance (ie not zero, a broken internal connection or infinite, an internal short.) please double check this info, i'm not an actual mechanic.

insomniac_AU

Sounds like wreckers are the same there as they are in Australia. At least there are a few to choose from.
Have you tried powering your fan motor up on the bench? Perhaps it can be pulled apart and repaired? It might just have worn out brushes which you might be able to replace with something similar?
It's just a fan motor, nothing special. Maybe it's possible the same or very similar motor was used on some other Honda motorcycles at the time perhaps?

M

moose eater

This particular motor incorporates pinged rods (with ends beat out in a press of sorts) and sealant as its source of structure. No removable screws through the length of the body to enable disassembling.

I'd looked into rebuilding right off. Would, in fact, prefer a rebuild of something on-hand, as then it would be tantamount to new; bearings/bushings, brushes, wiring wrap/core, etc.

It's the way this one fails to spin well, and feels 'lumpy' in hand-rotation that tells me it's at least bad bearings/bushings.

The individual who cut the second wire to make it equal length to the wire that broke, did me no favors; they left about 3/8" of wire (X 2) protruding from the motor housing, w/ half of that 3/8" skinned, nearly guaranteeing that to run it in my hands and listen to it up close, I'll have to sneak 2 butt connectors in there with the narrowest sturdy crimpers known to human kind.

I told the (learning quickly) individual in question to never do that to my shit again. But thanks for trying to help, and thanks for learning.... albeit on my stuff.

As far as finding a comparable 12volt fan to make work, it's the mounting that becomes problematic, if trying to maintain the original mounts and shroud. The fan body is pressed into (and sealed into) a triangular flanged mount with a round center for the fan motor. And I mean PRESSED, with rounded corners on the triangular mount, and inset rubber bushings to control vibration.

If I could find a fan with at least the same output, same diameter, and some heavy stainless or weather-resistant tin/sheeting to make that mount, I'd be good to go.

Hell, I've even considered just modifying mounts and running one of the cheapo Chinese fans in their own shrouds off a toggle switch that perpetually runs in the 'on' position when in use, skipping the factory oil temp switches completely, but most of them take up considerably greater surface area.

Anyway, back to tasks at hand, and thanks again..

insomniac_AU

Sounds like you've thought of everything. Yes modifying the mounting system to fit something else might be an issue. Maybe you could use clamps around the body of a different type of fan to attach mounting brackets? Anyway if that $50 one is any good that sounds like an easy fix.

M

moose eater

Agreed. Thus far all I know is that the $50 fan in Oregon reportedly spun nicely with limited force, and limited resistance. Its fan blades are sun-rotted (UV and ozone hating plastic with a vengeance), but my fan blade here is in excellent shape.

All that remains to be seen on the one in Oregon is whether the wiring is intact, bushings/bearings tight in their seats, shaft firmly in place and continuing to spin nicely, and the seal at the exit for the wires, in the side of the motor housing, is in place and holding.

Though if that's compromised, a 50-year heavy-duty silicone can work wonders, as long as it hasn't suffered internally yet.

I can, in such a case, put the thing into a container with desiccant for a day or so, then seal up the output hole for the wiring with the heavy duty silicone, and let 'er rip.

Final-final would be to have the feller down in Oregon put it on a 12volt system, and see if it purrs.

Hell, I'd send him a tip if all of that came in at an A or A+ for the pricing offered.

insomniac_AU

Probably worth a gamble if what he says is true. As long as you can get your fan blade off without breaking it sounds like you're on a winner.

insomniac_AU

I think they get lots of water and mud in them which is what screws them up after 20+ years. Same thing happens with horns. Half the horns on my bikes don't work.

M

moose eater

The fan blade on this is off-round, like a key-set mount for many things. The shaft is threaded at the end, and the blades sit on the shaft, driven by the flat spot on the shaft, with the nut retaining it to the threaded shaft end.

All of that stuff's slick as a whistle. Clean, smooth, no wear or tear.

I think someone 'Frankensteined' this particular fan into place years ago, for what ever reason. So a feller in town is taking proper harness ends/fittings from derelict machines, and soldering them into place, covered with heat-to-shrink wrappers, then we'll smear some silicone to either side of the shrink wraps for good measure, and undo the Hill Billy bullshit put there by what ever remotely-located desperado thought they were a wiring genius, and "only my hairdresser will know the difference." (quote from an old American commercial, probably 30-40 years ago).

I hate wiring clusterfucks, but like it a lot when we finish them, and they're RIGHT.. Assuming we get there, of course.... ;^>)

Tomorrow's another day, and I'll know more about the Oregon and Ohio-sourced fan motors in the A.M.

For now, I'm whipped. Just got in from instructing my wife and son re. fertilizing all of the veggie gardens, spuds, flowers, ornamentals, rhubarb, and every other damned thing out there. Time for a puff or 6 of Ghost Train Haze #1, and my new mattress.

Thanks again.

insomniac_AU

No problem then. I wasn't sure how it worked as I've never needed to pull mine apart. The only thing I'd suggest is to try not to solder anything in the harness. Try to use crimps only. Manufacturers never solder anything on wiring harnesses if you've noticed because eventually it will fatigue and break.

M

moose eater

Yeah, in the past we've used butt-to-butt connecters that were crimped at both ends, and sleeved them with the heat-to-shrink, but this fellow is apparently (reportedly) set on re-fabbing the harness as a favor to me, and instruction to another, as far as I'm told by the other person.

May well end up that butt-to-butt is what he had in his mind all along, and I was misinformed by the other person. I can call and ask, but I know he's busy.

We'll see what happens.

Haven't called Oregon yet, or heard word back re. a text from Ohio re. the motors.

Had a somewhat shitty night, and still rubbing the ache out of my neck, while finishing the first cup of coffee, so figure they may need a bit longer down that way too; they're only a hour ahead of me in Oregon.

Exhaust at the point just outside the manifold/cylinder head on this thing looks like it had water run over it while hot for a long time. Almost has that terra cotta clay look to it.

As far as I know, this thing came from up in the Yukon River Valley near Circle and Central on the Alaska side, downstream a ways from Dawson City on the Yukon Territory, Canada side.

Could tell stories for a while about mishaps and poor treatment of equipment at mines in remote locations.

M

moose eater

Word from Oregon was that the wire leads/connectors are original, both wires are full original length, flexible, and where they exit the fan motor housing, it still has the U-shaped rubber plug, and what appears to be factory shrink-wrap on the wires where they protrude from the rubber plug.

Shaft reportedly spins freely, with less resistance than mine. Still has a predictable amount of feeling of 'contour' or texture from the wire-wrap core inside, when -slowly- rotating the shaft by hand.

No unwarranted wiggle, shake, rattle or roll in the shaft's seats in the bearings/bushings.

Ran on a bench with 12 volt hooked up, and reportedly purred. Acknowledging that under load may change any number of perceptions.

But thus far, the words are, "She's a keeper!"

And at well over $100 less than the competitors in the hot, humid areas along the Gulf Coast.

I'd say it was a victorious search thus far.

May still look into the fan motor in Ohio, if he gets back to us. When things are truly scarce, and in our case, necessary, having more than one, especially when they're small, is an investment in the future likelihood of Murphy's presence.

A positive glow on a sore morning.

insomniac_AU

Good news. That sounds perfect. I know those motors are probably the hardest part to find for the 300s so you've done well. Should be good for years.

M

moose eater

Yep. Feeling pretty good for now. I'll know more when my credit card isn't hacked, the box is opened, and the part performs as anticipated.

Should know all that within a week or so.

Now for some coil-over shocks, some bead-blasting of the racks, some epoxy paint for the metal, and gel coat paint for the plastics.

Might need to get her a tiara to put on her front end for when she's finished. ;^>)

shithawk420

Veteran
sorry that this is off topic,but i have a 1974 honda 450cb.and my brother dropped it and the shifter broke.it cost $100 and was apparently one of the last in the country.anyway point being is older Honda parts are expensive.i hope it works out for you.cause i know i wont get another original shifter.bikes in good condition minus a little rust.im too short for it though!how the hell do japanese ride these things!?lol

M

moose eater

Do a search for motorcycle salvage yards within what ever area or state you wish to draw your radius at, 'hawk.

There's likely more cycle salvage yards than there are cycle salvage yards that also have ATVs, etc.

Years ago I used some of them for parts that were missing on an older bike I had back then.

And shopping around, making a few calls, etc., can save you a lot of money.

Had I paid premium Gulf Coast salvage cost on a sight-unseen fan motor, I was looking at $150 plus $55 in freight, for what would fit into a $13 flat rate USPS Priority box. Instead I'm getting away for just under $70 total.

There's good businesses out there who run an honest show, and don't except you to be the sole source of their profit for the week or month. You can find 'em, for sure.

And the old Honda CBs were pretty cool.

My first bike was a 1960s Bridgestone 90. Ran the cornfields like a demon on that thing, post hacksaw job, when I was 12 years old.

sorry that this is off topic,but i have a 1974 honda 450cb.and my brother dropped it and the shifter broke.it cost $100 and was apparently one of the last in the country.anyway point being is older Honda parts are expensive.i hope it works out for you.cause i know i wont get another original shifter.bikes in good condition minus a little rust.im too short for it though!how the hell do japanese ride these things!?lol

insomniac_AU

Yep. Feeling pretty good for now. I'll know more when my credit card isn't hacked, the box is opened, and the part performs as anticipated.

Should know all that within a week or so.

Now for some coil-over shocks, some bead-blasting of the racks, some epoxy paint for the metal, and gel coat paint for the plastics.

Might need to get her a tiara to put on her front end for when she's finished. ;^>)

Looking forward to a pic when she's all done. :)
I'm going to the farm next weekend if I remember I'll take a photo as well. My good 300 I just rebuilt from end to end about 2 years ago for my father. Unfortunately he died about a year ago so I've inherited it.

It came from a vineyard up north which is very dry so it's rust free, never been ridden in mud.
The bottom end was good so I didn't touch it. I replaced the camchain, camchain guides and fully rebuilt the head doing a valve grind and replacing the stem seals. It was standard bore but seeing as I was going to rebore it anyway I decided to go the maximum 1mm oversize just to get a little more capacity and torque.

I also did everything in the suspension and brakes that was needed and put a new seat and grips on it. Apart from the plastics being a little faded she's as good as new.
I was surprised what you can still buy from Honda. I was even able to get those rubber catches that hold the middle section of the rear rack from swinging up brand new from Honda still. I also bought a brand new complete NOS exhaust from Ebay.

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah its a nice bike.its got 9,000 miles on it i think.did a roof for it.theres a huge moto junkyard in Rockfard or Rockfalls thats supposed to be huge by me.i wanna build my own bike from scratch one day.

i got a custom Baja Warrior pitbike with a 212cc predator motor that i romped around the cornfields in.its just has too much power for such a small bike.i can go places your quad cant.i get offers almost everytime i take it out.i just say NOPE!!NOT FOR SALE!.i actually did a roofing job for that too.just sitting in a barn.

M

moose eater

I'm perpetually outa' rep these days. ;^>)

Sorry to hear about your pop. The circle of life exempts none of us, but despite knowing that, it's harsh for the stragglers left behind.

I've looked at the machines here that I've taken great lengths to keep functional and reliable. Way off the beaten path in the bush is a poor place to find you missed something.

I've tried to sort out what should go to which of my children, or my wife. Who was involved in this sort of expedition with me, or that type of outing, while trying to be fair, also trying to make sure the estate gifting addresses a meaningful memory.

I've ice fished in the mountains with both sons, dip-netted salmon with all 3 kids, especially my daughter, who is a fish-clubbing maniac once she cuts loose. Frightened me a bit, in fact, when I stopped netting one day, years ago, and looked over to see her clubbing salmon in the rocks. Jesus!! She seemed to be ENJOYING it!! YIKES!!!! ;^>)

Boating in remote areas has been with my younger boy, and he's been a God-send when making up for my inabilities as my spine condition worsened over the last couple years, going out of his way to help set camp, taking over firewood duty, and much more.

All of those memories are precious, and will be expressed in individual gifts that may not equal each other in money/value, but will directly relate to stories and memories that matter.

I hope your Honda is the same..