What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kinosabe777 vs Russet Mites. The War Begins

Kinosabe777

Hey IC Fam! If anyone has battled Russet Mites before, then you know how the story goes.

Nitrogen Deficiency? Cal? Mag? Heat Stress? Overwatering? What in the world is going on with my ladies?

I am about 4 weeks into flower and started to notice an abundance of problems with my plants 2 weeks ago. Other than abnormal growth, yellowing leaves, and curling fan leaves, the most pertinent issue I was dealing with was the browning of my pistils early on. My assumption was that I burned the pistils when I foliar sprayed with Monterey BT the first week of flower.....now if only that was the case!

Now I knew that russet mites could have been a possibility, but I was actually in deep denial about it during my sleepless 2 weeks of trying to figure out what was going on. Well, yesterday I put it under a magnifying glass and reality hit me. The rest of the season will not be smooth and I have accepted that.

At this point I'm not angry nor am I stressed. I've identified the problem and am now focused on the solution. The war begins today and I feel that it's my responsibility to share my tactics with this wonderful community. Without you guys, I would probably be lost on what to do.

Background on me and the garden:
1st outdoor grow
200 plants in 200 gallon shorty saver pods
Happy Hippy Soil
Strains: Blue Sherbert, Golden Strawberry, SnoHulk, Lemdrop, Jilly Bean, OGKBC, Beastmode OG, Candyland, Goji OG, Wedding Cake
Currently in my 4th week of flower. 3rd Week of flower for select strains
Any other information you would like to know... Just ask

Plan of Attack

Tomorrow 9/4: Tomorrow is a feed day, so on top of the Maxibloom and CalMag I was already planning on feeding the plants, I will add 325 mg of uncoated Bayer Aspirin per gallon of water

My research tell me that aspirin assists in boosting the plants immune system. Lets put it this to the test and see how the damaged ladies react.

9/6: Azamax Soil Drench. One tbs per gallon.....that would be 2200 tbs for me. I just cannot afford that, so I am buying 4 gallons on Azamax and putting one gallon of Azamax in each one of my 550 gallon reservoirs. That's about half strength.

9/7: Foliar Spray with Avid 1ml per gallon

9/8-9/12: Observe reaction

9/13: Foliar Spray with Forbid 4f 1 ml per gallon

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say and recommend. Especially the ones who have dealt with or are currently dealing with Russet Mites. Thanking you beautiful people in advance.

Questions:

1. I know a lot of you are in disbelief that I am foliar spraying 4-5 weeks into flower with Avid and Forbid 4F. This is not something I want to do for obvious reasons, but this is war and I am not going down without a fight. I will get my harvest THAT I WILL HARVEST lab tested at the end of it all and once I get that back I will proceed in an ethical manner. I'm the type of guy who likes to find things out for himself and will pay the coin and time to know. All results will be posted on this thread. Now my question is: Will foliar spraying with these chemicals burn the pistils and overall flower of the plant? How will it affect the scent of the herbs once dried and cured?

I will post up pictures and interesting observations tomorrow.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Start over if you can... Been through it. After almost 100 runs, I was ruined. Moved to another state. Same thing happened. Equipment carried the bugs to the new state.

Start from seeds. If possible.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
man bro, thats ,wow
i would say kudos to you if you can get them under control in the next 4-6 weeks
maybe one more of those forbid or avid sprays one week after that regimen
avids bad but its translaminar so yeah

keep your chin up bro

JOJO420

Veteran
Try Amazing Dr Zymes
It works even during flowering
Plus it's 1000 times more healthy than using poison.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Imagine your children or your grandmother smoking Avid/Forbid drenched pot.....

Planning on smoking some of it yourself? Don't want to kick you while your down, but when I imagine my family smoking poison so someone else can profit it keeps me up at night as well. There are other options and there is always next season.

Mr^^

Limeygreen

Veteran
You might try rinsing heavily with water every three days, try to wash them off and drown them, it would eradicate them but it will disrupt them somewhat. If you were able to get dichyphus to establish they might help clean it up but they might just fly away outdoors too in search of better prey.

petert

I was effective with wettable sulphur mid July through mid August.. I had them last year so I took no chances and didn't wait to find any.. Then I switched to Green Cleaner from mid Sugust to the first week of September.. Then I order in the army of predators.. Californicus and Andersoni mites and hope they do the job until I harvest!!
oh.. also I'm in a greenhouse and when it got hot enough in early August I closed up the greenhouse turned off the fans and let it rip for 60-90 minutes at between 115-120 degrees! They don't like extreme heat!!

PDX Dopesmoker

Kinosabe777 is now 10 days late with his promised pictures and observations. Is it possible he was eaten by the russet mites? They say russets evolve disease resistance quickly and 200 x 200gallon infected plants would offer an enormous gene pool to push evolution along even more swiftly. Murdering the farmer would be the ultimate form of disease resistance. If the mites managed to off him then they're probably using his credit card to order seeds and nutes too. Or maybe they just go to the dispensary and get dabs, it would probably be more like those little dope fiends' style to get high on someone else's stuff.

M

metsäkana

dont beneficial insects eat broad mites? i think every ''big'' grower should use them in cycles if you are getting some pest before its so fucked up that you are thinking poisons..

PDX Dopesmoker

dont beneficial insects eat broad mites? i think every ''big'' grower should use them in cycles if you are getting some pest before its so fucked up that you are thinking poisons..

This summer has been "the summer of russet mite love". They're everywhere, almost everyone I know has or has had them outdoors. I don't know if its the weather or that the density of grows on the US west coast has gotten so high that disease spreads more rapidly or something else.
Have you heard of russet mites being a problem in your part of the north woods? Is it too cold for them there?

M

metsäkana

i dont know whats they are called on finnish, never heard of it here. bulb mites i had they are similar to broads i think.

''
Use as a biological control agent

Aceria anthocoptes is considered to be a good potential biological control agent for Cirsium arvense, the Canada thistle. It damages both the epidermal cells and deeper mesophyll layers, on both the upper and lower surfaces of this invasive weed. The result is visible deformation and folding of the leaf blade, with a curling of the leaf edges. The leaves become russeted and bronzed, and gradually dry out.[6]''

do they spread them there to control weeds?

''This mite can be found in a number of European countries and in the United States.[1] As of 2001, it is known to exist in 21 countries.[6] It is the only species of eriophyid mite that has been found on Cirsium arvense throughout the world.[6]''

http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Pest_Insect_Cross_Listing/Help_with_Russet_Cyclamen_and_Broad_Mites

this place have best list of products for my taste

Last edited:

JOJO420

Veteran
Mites are everywhere this year. Everyone has them , even on the radio the grow stores are talking about mites on commercials... it's bad .

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
This summer has been "the summer of russet mite love". They're everywhere, almost everyone I know has or has had them outdoors. I don't know if its the weather or that the density of grows on the US west coast has gotten so high that disease spreads more rapidly or something else.
Have you heard of russet mites being a problem in your part of the north woods? Is it too cold for them there?

I said something similar about a month ago in Schrew's Motherlode garden thread, the war is just getting started with cannabis harmful insects and fungi etc.

Increases in harmful insect populations means more sprays etc being used which also accelerates the rate at which they build immunity to the substance.

With all the commercialization happening in Washington, Oregon, and California its not much of a surprise we are seeing increases in the amount of insects and fungi etc that attack cannabis on the west coast.

Its the same with the increase in rodent activity around california since getting their water back last winter. Additional water and vegetation to eat created a boom in rodent populations.

There is a town near me called puyallup that used to be a hop farming town, they eventually became so infested with hop mites they had to quit farming them there.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Using predatory mites on cannabis is difficult, they get stuck on the resin glands and cannot get established as easily on peppers or cucumbers say. Yes the spidermites get going and get busy but if you wish to try predatory mites and you are serious, call up koppert or biobest. These guys deal with medical grows and have bio programmes that you can use, see what they have to say, they don't charge you for the advice they charge you for the products. If you're in BC, you can try applied bionomics.

Latest posts

Latest posts