What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ?

G

It seems like the goal of many of these pruning techniques is to get light to specific growing tips/ internodes.

Sort of on that note, I have started rotating my outdoor plants, maybe 60 to 90 degrees every day.

The North side just doesn't get the sun that the East South and West sides get.

Rotating them helps all the main growing branches (on their way to being buds) to get quality light roughly 3/4 of the time.

Can't help but wonder if some indoor growers have tried this. Possibly even using Lazy Susan or other devices so it's easy to lug heavier pots around.
Actually the goal is to make all of the colas the same branching from the trunk so the plant feeds each cola the same as if it just had one main cola. My wording isnt probably exact. If you want a better explanation use the Grow weed easy site and I did their slightly modified version of Nugbuckets. One less trim.

redlaser

Veteran
I guess mainling is what I'm doing, basically bend the plant over at around its halfway point in height. Doing this outside with trellis layers the plant explodes with growth, probably could remove a few leaders because they are too close on some plants
Plants will take on a vase shape unless you train them wider.

G

I guess mainling is what I'm doing, basically bend the plant over at around its halfway point in height. Doing this outside with trellis layers the plant explodes with growth, probably could remove a few leaders because they are too close on some plants
Plants will take on a vase shape unless you train them wider.

No its not. Please read about it.
https://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

Im really surprised by the people who have a opinion on it and dont know anything about it. Especially some of the negative closed minded folks on the first page. Im not saying its better or worse. I actually want to hear from those who have tried it and either like or dont like it.

Listening to fools who dismiss it out of hand with no real knowledge of it has been an eye opener about the over all level of knowledge of some of the people here who have 4 figure post counts. Im not pimping it but just asking for opinions of those who have done it. Seems like my low level of experience is in line with the fact it does add time but not a whole lot and for me personally it saved space as far as the spread of the plant indoors in a smaller space.

Aardwolf

I've been banging plants Mainline for 10years & I SOG. if you have the cuttings SOG. Mainline is not as good on space & bottom end. 1.6 ltr pots of coir fed 3 times a day can get me 700-750 grams off a 600w bulb & the comparison has nearly 5x the expense on power & dirt

RockinRobot

Im really surprised by the people who have a opinion on it and dont know anything about it. Especially some of the negative closed minded folks on the first page. Im not saying its better or worse. I actually want to hear from those who have tried it and either like or dont like it.

Listening to fools who dismiss it out of hand with no real knowledge of it has been an eye opener about the over all level of knowledge of some of the people here who have 4 figure post counts. Im not pimping it but just asking for opinions of those who have done it. Seems like my low level of experience is in line with the fact it does add time but not a whole lot and for me personally it saved space as far as the spread of the plant indoors in a smaller space.

Didn't see but one person dismiss it out of hand. Everyone else says it's a great system it just takes too much extra time and doesn't work with clones. For most of us the extra quantity does not justify the extra time. I tried it and I get just as good results with SCROG with less time. Less time equals less money on lights/nutes end of story for me.

I'm also for easy and mainlining is extra work for me.

Also your title asked why people don't use it so you are getting mostly negative opinions why most people don't use it. Had you phrased your title pros and con of mainlining or something similar you might have gotten a wider range of responses.

Last edited:
G

Didn't see but one person dismiss it out of hand. Everyone else says it's a great system it just takes too much extra time and doesn't work with clones. For most of us the extra quantity does not justify the extra time. I tried it and I get just as good results with SCROG with less time. Less time equals less money on lights/nutes end of story for me.

Also your title asked why people don't use it so you are getting mostly negative opinions why most people don't use it. Had you phrased your title pros and con of mainlining or something similar you might have gotten a wider range of responses.
Possible I could have phrased it differently. There have been some pro and negative experiences from what people write. More negative mainly for the time factor it seems.

Im not sure but I get the feeling those who dont like the longer time may be growing cash crops not personal grows for medicine. Makes sense for sure for the cash croppers.

Im still undecided for my next run in a couple months.

Its just ironic that people who have no knowledge of it dismiss it. If you have tried it and dont care for it or like it based on having seen it or tried it is a valid opinion based on experience. The ones who dont and diss it probably still think the world is flat.

Thanks to those who actually have tried it for sharing your views.
:thank you:

Budley Doright

Veteran

Totally agree.... Mainlining reminds me of espalier for fruit trees....

where you are really placing more value on form rather than function...

As you point out....better results can be achieved with a scrog.....

The whole concept is a bit too anal for me.....

redlaser

Veteran

The whole point of mainlining is to produce more viable growing tips
to get more buds. If you feel the need to follow directions to the letter it may be great for how you are working.

In an outdoor situation with high light levels like I described there is no need to top some of the leaders because every node is trying to grow anyway. It's not unusual to hav 2-3 inches of growth daily. It would end up like a chrysanthemum type ball that would be impractical to support and smaller buds 2-3 inches apart.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
I've never heard of mainlining either, but if its this style of grow, then I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way these days.

picture.php

I have done my last two indoor grows in a mainline. Turned out ok. My first couple grows were top/fim with some lst. First was a disaster due to my mistakes but second was better.

I'm going to start a new grow indoors organic in a couple months and I can't decide if I want to go back to a more traditional grow or stick with the mainline.

Would love to hear from those who have tried both and pros and cons from your perspective. My cons were mainly veg time seemed to be slightly longer which wasn't that big a deal and pros were other than the colas other popcorn buds were easy to decide to remove early from other branching.

People prune plants all the time its super popular. I prune my plants into multi topped plants. No one calls it "mainlining" for many reasons. 1) its not a realy term. It was made up by a braindead donkey 2) only hardcore fans of said braindead donkey use that term. 3) that term is a term used by people who shoot up drugs, its ehat they call the act of shooting up. Most growers dont shoot up or associate growing with shooting up. Why subcool does? Thats obvious take a look at the guy how he talks and looks... mo surprise he thinks about shooting up in relation to growing... sub is a tard though all he did is mimic how they grow outside by snipping off tops, he didnt make any amazing discovery, thats how i grew my plants on my very first grow jist by observation, that was before i had so much info.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I always thought mainlining was pruning/training the plant in such a way so all the bud sites are basically being serviced thru and by one node.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I always thought mainlining was pruning/training the plant in such a way so all the bud sites are basically being serviced thru and by one node.

I would think a more accurate description is that its a plant that is maintained by opposite nodes..... and the 2 halfs are there after maintained for symmetry.... and preventing apical dominance......

Betterhaff

Veteran
I would think a more accurate description is that its a plant that is maintained by opposite nodes..... and the 2 halfs are there after maintained for symmetry.... and preventing apical dominance......
Yeah, I may be thinking of something a little different, a manifold (?)

Betterhaff

Veteran
How fussy can you get????
I grow outdoors so I don’t use these teks, no need. I’ll top every once in a while and do some bending to break profiles but because of the light from the sun and its travels this kind of manipulating isn’t necessary. I do maintain cuts indoors, in veg, but that’s just to preserve genetics.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Budley, nothing clear about it! Show us something on this site that shows the practice clearly so I can learn what this smackhead term actually means.

Latest posts

Latest posts