What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lc mix #1 recipe #1 + neptunes 2-4-1

bigjdawg

Alright have a question and going to explain everything in the best detail as possible if you have questions please ask. I know I post alot of beginner questions but I'm trying to learn and get better.

I mix up lc #1 and veg small plants in the base mix for 3 weeks while the nutrient rich mix cooks for anywhere from 2-4 weeks. After vegging for 3 weeks I then transplant to 5 gallon containers full of lc#1 and recipe #1 and continue to veg for another two week so roots can fill the pot. After those two weeks I flip to flower and use an ewc Tea and continue with plain dechlorinated water. At about week 3 I start to see a nitrogen deficiency that's yellowing from the bottom up. I know that's 7 weeks total they are in the soil and final pot is that long enough that they would use up all the available nitrogen in the soil? As of today week 3 I used neptunes 2-4-1 at 1 tablespoon per gallon. My question is can I start the Neptunes at around week 1 every other water as a preventative measure? I haven't tried this yet because I know the soil is already amended and did not want to burn the plants. My plan this grow was to use the Neptunes 2-4-1 at week 3 and 5 but as of right now it looks like I should of started it earlier. Is it safe to use the Neptunes at week 1 week 3 week 5 and week 7 or should I use it one time a week? Is it safe to use neptunes weekly with preamended soil? Maybe someone has other ideas that could help me out. I also thought of maybe stepping it up to bigger pots so that there would be more soil and hopefully available nutrients. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Nitrogen doesn't yellow from the bottom up. Sounds more like a calmag problem. Check your recipe for calcium magnesium sources. I bet you have plenty in which case you have pH issues. Check your input and runoff pH. My money is on your pH being the issue. Been there done that.

I just looked at that recipe. Jersey greensand is a decent source but takes WWAAAYYY too long to breakdown. Dolomite lime is a good source but you'll need your pH to be right in order for it to provide ca/mg. I know that folks will argue that pH doesn't matter in organics. Well dolomite lime isn't eaten by bacteria and if that's your ca/mg source then pH DOES matter

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've grown two and three complete grows in one batch of that mix. Never had any deficiency. There is more than enough food in a batch for a grow. A cap full of 2-4-1 in a gallon of water may or may not help. Every strain has different requirements.
But my gut tells me to press on as planned. I say stay on course. If you're sure you mixed correctly you should finish well.
Burn1

bigjdawg

I've grown two and three complete grows in one batch of that mix. Never had any deficiency. There is more than enough food in a batch for a grow. A cap full of 2-4-1 in a gallon of water may or may not help. Every strain has different requirements.
But my gut tells me to press on as planned. I say stay on course. If you're sure you mixed correctly you should finish well.
Burn1

Well then I don't understand what I'm doing wrong I've run this mix for a year and everything looks great up till week three and then I see yellowing. I was using ocean forest before and was having way more problems so I switched to peat and everything is good except for this slight problem I see every cycle I run so that's why I was trying to use the 2-4-1 as a preventative measure at week 3 and 5 but the problem started about midway through week 2 so idk if I should use the fish hydrolysate sooner. I always make it to harvest and the end product is good but I know it's not to its full potential. I just need to figure out what this on going problem is its killing me. I thought it was my dolomite lime but not related to ph. It's speedi grow agricultural lime it says 30% Ca and 3% Mg but idk if that matters or not

bigjdawg

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow since lights are off now but I need to figure it out soon because I have another batch I'm putting into flower on friday maybe I should try ewc Tea every water with this batch idk I'm at a loss at this point. I can't figure it out to save my life.

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are growing the same strain at the same age in more than one container, try the 2-4-1 in one or two containers and see if you notice an improvement. That way you won't mess up your whole crop if it goes wrong and you will still have a harvest.
Burn1

bigjdawg

I added it to all containers yesterday but as of today I see no problems so far with burn the top canopy looks good it's just the lowers starting to yellow out. My next plan is to either top dress with some worm castings and then make an ewc Tea on top of that. Idk if that's to excessive and maybe I should just make the ewc Tea.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I added it to all containers yesterday but as of today I see no problems so far with burn the top canopy looks good it's just the lowers starting to yellow out. My next plan is to either top dress with some worm castings and then make an ewc Tea on top of that. Idk if that's to excessive and maybe I should just make the ewc Tea.

I would not make multiple changes so fast or you will not know which action altered your grow. Also, the change will take at least a week to show a response. Even if you sprayed them with Roundup.:noway:
Patience is the #1 ingredient in growing this stuff. :plant grow:
Burn1

bigjdawg

One possibility is I thought maybe the plants are shedding the leaves that aren't getting enough light I'll snap some pics real quick the tops all look pretty decent but my gut tells me not enough nitrogen. I used 1/2 cup blood meal per cubic foot. Then this other thing I noticed thats kinda odd is if a blade of a leaf is resting on another it bleaches it out kinda like a sunburn I'll try and get a good picture of that to and I thought it could be the light to close but then I notice it lower on the plant that doesn't get much light. I'm sure that's not a problem just an observation I made

Last edited:

bigjdawg

Here's pics of the yellowing started at the bottom effecting biggest fan leaves working it's way up slowly. One pic of the canopy

Attachments

• 20161005_175127.jpg
    20161005_175127.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20161005_175041.jpg
    20161005_175041.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20161005_175004.jpg
    20161005_175004.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 15

bigjdawg

Here is the leaf thing I noticed just as an observation

Attachments

• 20161005_174828.jpg
    20161005_174828.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20161005_174809.jpg
    20161005_174809.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 10

bigjdawg

Thanks for your help Burn1. I'm going to wait and see how the fish hydrolysate works out but I need to come up with a plan for my batch I'm putting into flower on friday. What do you advise I do? Should I top dress blood meal for the stretch or what?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks kind of normal to me.
As the plant changes from a vegetable to a flower the big fan leaves are not needed as much and can wilt, turn brown and fall off leaving the plant healthy.
I tend to get rid of as much nitrogen as possible before harvest.
The blood, bone and kelp recipe is a good plan for a good harvest in most cases. But I can control the feeding better using guano and kelp teas. I can keep most of the fan leaves healthy longer by controlling the nutes.
My suggestion since you've asked here and in PM... Continue with your original plan. It's a sound one. I think you'll make things worse the way you're headed.
JMO
Burn1

bigjdawg

Alright thanks so much for your help and I think I will give the guano tea and kelp a shot with my next cycle. I do have one more question for the guano tea. Do you use the veg tea through the stretch and then start the flowering tea when the bud sites form? Or do you start the flower tea right at flip?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright thanks so much for your help and I think I will give the guano tea and kelp a shot with my next cycle. I do have one more question for the guano tea. Do you use the veg tea through the stretch and then start the flowering tea when the bud sites form? Or do you start the flower tea right at flip?

It all depends on the plant. I like a few strains and I keep several mothers going. So, I know what each one likes.
But to answer your question, I think plants need nitrogen through the stretch. So, I keep the veg tea going through the stretch or for about two weeks after 12/12. They also need more watering during that time.
Burn1

bigjdawg

Alright that's what I was thinking is keep the nitrogen going through the stretch. I like the thought of a little more control that's why I was also considering recipe 5 but I think I'm going to try the guano tea and kelp. I'll just ride these next two cycles out. I know I'll harvest I always do but like I said I just know it's not at its full potential. Thanks a million for the help

VERMONSTAH

I would rec having a bottle of cal/mag on hand so you can IMMEDIATELY deal with this issue if it ever arrises, some plants are nute hawgs dude! they feed heavily!

bigjdawg

I would rec having a bottle of cal/mag on hand so you can IMMEDIATELY deal with this issue if it ever arrises, some plants are nute hawgs dude! they feed heavily!

Do you think it's a cal/mag problem? I'm still thinking nitrogen cause the whole plant has lightened in color

VERMONSTAH

I meant to have on hand for "just incases", to be precise with you i can't tell If its one specific problem or another, i believe an even numbered n-p-k fish hydrosylate feeding will also help accomplish getting quick doses of N to those girls. I was just tryin to help man.