What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Psychiatric Insanity...

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Considering all the progress that's been made with cannabis and psyche issues and considering that we've barely scratched the surface...

Things like this make me feel so bad for the poor victims of all this b.s. in the industry.

http://games.psychiatrictimes.com/

Games based on prescribing chemicals. :moon: The force behind that website is extremely chemical minded.

Do yourself a favor folks, always look into changing to a cleaner, more natural diet and seeking ways that nature has provided to help you. Chemical Rx should be a last resort option when dealing with issues of the brain and there's a growing number of ex-psychiatrists that are beginning to speak out about it.

Keep it Clean! :D

RoadRash

"How accurately can you identify a patient's mental health disorder, given limited information and time?"

How about - How accurately can you identify a psychiatrist's mental health disorder ?

80% of the time, their primary concern is $MONEY$.

"Are you adept at choosing the most appropriate treatment?"
Exercise, Yoga, Meditation (for example, taking a hot bath), Recreation (like skiing), and CANNABIS. :woohoo:

"Then face-off against your peers and test your skills in a battle for diagnostic supremacy!"

oh boy sounds like fun /sarc

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
When you take a close look at what the CIA has done with drugs like MK Ultra you really need to wonder what ASSHOLE is in charge of the torture of it's own people where they have KILLED them without prosecution . This shit is still going on and no one has been stopped or charge to this date!! They say cannabis is bad LOL ffs....You can thanks the Bush family for much of the fucked up shit that has already happened then Obama for continuing this crap. Headband 707

Garhart

What kind of people want to become a shrink - worth thinking about .Had a second cousin was one , he once told me he really wished he could have found a profession where he could help someone - but that he was at least happy to make plenty of money. He was a crazy man himself and had an old WWII bomber he flew all the time with the confederate air force.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Often people go into the mental health field in an attempt to cure oneself of the affliction of mental disease. After all, who made the standard for mental health? :comfort: jpt

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
There is a saying in this field that the only people that purse this are very fucked up people that need to figure themselves out lol So true.. headband 707:biggrin:

What kind of people want to become a shrink - worth thinking about .Had a second cousin was one , he once told me he really wished he could have found a profession where he could help someone - but that he was at least happy to make plenty of money. He was a crazy man himself and had an old WWII bomber he flew all the time with the confederate air force.

supermanlives

Veteran
I had to see shrink , well it was advised do to health issues..got diagnosis took meds after like 3 days I couldn't sleep.. was like tweeking hard as hell.. took week to get new meds and appointment all while not sleeping ,hell I couldn't stay still...seen shrink again and got new meds. slept a shitload and got fat I mean like 35 lbs . went back to shrink . told her I aint got ptsd or depressed and if anyone is crazy its you....for me all I really need is a j and maybe drink or valium when possible ......no more for me thanks anyhow......whatever my level of craziness is,, a j works just fine with no side affects

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I will have to agree with this this worst advise I have ever got was and will always be from doctor's they really are the legal drug dealers of today. Stay frosty headband 707
:biggrin:

I had to see shrink , well it was advised do to health issues..got diagnosis took meds after like 3 days I couldn't sleep.. was like tweeking hard as hell.. took week to get new meds and appointment all while not sleeping ,hell I couldn't stay still...seen shrink again and got new meds. slept a shitload and got fat I mean like 35 lbs . went back to shrink . told her I aint got ptsd or depressed and if anyone is crazy its you....for me all I really need is a j and maybe drink or valium when possible ......no more for me thanks anyhow......whatever my level of craziness is,, a j works just fine with no side affects

TheCleanGame

Veteran
I will have to agree with this this worst advise I have ever got was and will always be from doctor's they really are the legal drug dealers of today. Stay frosty headband 707
:biggrin:
I agree wholeheartedly.

4 years ago I was using a walker to get around due to back pain. I quit listening to white-coats and I'm walking again.

Saved myself a lot of money and healed myself quickly, quite a few times, over the last few years by doing searches on the internet for "Naturopathic remedy <my symptoms>" :tiphat:

Took 'psyche' pills twice for _very_ brief periods. Wow... :moon:

Keep it Clean! :D

pseudostelariae

i used to want to be a psychiatrist. then for a few years i delved heavily into psychedelic culture and was briefly institutionalized. they fed me so many pills i couldn't keep up and eventually just refused them until i left. opening up to those people was like feeding a psychic vampire. i can say with almost complete certainty that anyone drawn to that realm is likely at least half a lunatic.

now i just grow/smoke cannabis. seems to keep me away from the doctor.

flyer81

I sought help about 3 years after a breakup. I finally got to a point where suicide seemed like the right choice but knew that was the time I needed to see help. Did so the next day. Not once was I pushed drugs over several visits.

In my experience... given enough time I was able to flesh out a lot of what the psychologist figured I needed to work on. It did seem like that if I had not done things my own way... that the psychologist offered a shortcut. Simply talking about things I would not otherwise talk about... made all the difference. Sometimes you just need to talk it out with an impartial person.

It seemed like this thread was getting negative regarding psychologists and I want to swing that the other way. They worked out for me and helped me get through the rough spots in my life. You might think its "just a girl" but Im someone with pretty much everything else in my life going pretty fucking well. The only thing going wrong from my point of view was this breakup and in the third year was when suicide finally looked like a good choice. 3 years before I finally hit rock bottom for me.

And Ill tell you what... just talking to that psychologist. For really the first time in my life being fully forthright and up front and honest about everything with that doctor made all the difference. It has taken me a year to go only three times. Am I cured? Fixed? Hell no. But am I still here? Hell yeah. Would I still be here otherwise? I really do not know. I was pretty adamant in the thought of "fuck-it-all." But Im still here and life is better than it has been the last 3 years. Things DID get better.

For the most part I have been an active smoker through that time. Pills are not the answer. I think working through in our own minds and understanding our experience is the answer. Why have I been depressed? Confusion and loss. Why was I confused and felt lost? Breakup with 6 year relationship and someone I fully invested in.

What unbound me from that confusion? What allowed me to accept that not knowing the truth was OK? Talking about it. Who gave me the time of day to listen as I talked it through and worked it out myself? A psychologist. Not friends. Not close friends. Not my best friend. But my psychologist. I was lucky to have a few good friends who would listen to my talk early on but even they have a limit.

My psychologist listened to anything I wanted to say and asked me questions to keep the dialog going. And what did I find? That simply by talking about it I slowly was able to understand and view the situtation from the other person's point of view. And slowly but surely I understood why things happened the way they did.

Talking about things helps.

While I feel cannabis helps medically I think the one problem with it is that psychologically it helps keep us stuck in our own thoughts which forces us into a spiral of sorts. Up or down. Talking about things openly with another person opens the space to allow another person to prevent you from sliding into that spiral. At the same time they can reinforce that spiral. Talking about things can be fantastically cathartic or also stiflingly repressive. But the solution is not hiding from this fact but rather embracing it. Talking about things when we feel safe and comfortable.

~~~~~
I just typed the above sort of stream of consciousness. I stopped and reread and felt like I could add a few things and remove a few things but at the end I felt like I should just preserve this as it is what I ultimately felt at the time out of my personal experience. As I said I feel there was an anti-Dr bent in the convo and I wanted to sway it the other way a bit. I am hardcore anti establishment in many ways but in my own personal experience I feel there is value in a relationship with a psychologist/psychiatrist. The pills I question but in just having a resource that will listen to you, even if its just for money, makes a difference. In talking out your issues as you see them, you often times will come up with your own solution. Simply talking about things changes the way your mind is processing the same batch of information and often times results in deeper conclusions.

TOBY KEEF

I scored a 12 out of twelve on my primary care's depression test. Got started on a low dose of Prozac, I felt good, thought I'd get even better. Up we went in mgs an and basically lost it. I almost blew my marriage down the shitter. My wife was telling me for months that "You aren't you."
She was dead right. I nearly cost me dearly. The sad fact about my SSRI trip is this, I've taken about everything under the Sun at some point, and there is always a "good or Bad" this will wear off and "I'll get back to being me".
Prozac, at least for me operated in the reverse. I wasn't aware that I was on a ride that skewed everything to a point that I lost me for a minute. I got off of it fast and my "depression" went with it.
I have plenty to be depressed about, but my ride on Prozac, scared me straight. I am so very fucking happy to be me, despite ANY problems that loom over my head or traumas in my existence, etc. That I I was just happy to have my problems and flawed day to day grind back.
This is just my experience. The Physical side of my Prozac vacation was equally as horrid. I felt exhausted, weak, and distant all the time.
I will say this, having worked in Medicine for a decade, and coming from a family of Highly regarded practitioners, It is hard enough to find a good Practitioner/Doctor, much less a proper medication plan. Big Pharma doesn't have the answers and they have more recalls than Walmart baby cribs and toys.