What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone have experience with this Grow tent?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this grow tent. I know you get what you pay for that'ss why I'm asking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370527335348?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Item descroption:

You are viewing 47-1/2" x 24-1/8" x 59-5/8" (Approx. 4ft x 2ft x 5ft - 1.2M x 0.6M X 1.5M) multi-purpose growing tent with latest Reflective Interior Mylar at an unbeatable price. With this growing tent, you can grow your beautiful in-door hydroponics plants easily, especially for seedlings. The exterior is made of commercial grade super heavy duty oxford cloth. The inner lining is made of highly non-toxic reflective silver water proof mylar. This unit is designed with exterior zippers so that you can setup and take down in minutes. The frame is very sturdy with metal rods that is connected with high quality pole connectors. There're multiple vents to accommodate your fan and filter. The new open downward vent cover design is more reasonable and convenient. Don't miss this smart purchasing!

Size: 47-1/2"(L) x 24-1/8"(W) x 59-5/8"(H)
Exterior Material: Heavy duty 210D Oxford Cloth
Each Rod Capacity: 88 lbs (40Kg)
Overall Capacity: 176 lbs (80Kg)
Inner Lining Material: 100% highly reflective water-proof Mylar
Frame Material: Firm powder coated Metal
Sturdy Metal rods with Connectors.
Built-in Zippers and Velcro for easily setup and take down.
Multiple Vents for 4 inch, 6 inch or 8 inch fan and filter output(Vent rings are NOT included. Sell separately in store).
Double water-proof Floor with Velcro for extra protection.
Set up in minutes.
Even amateurs can generate more yields with the help from our gardening equipments.
Compatible with 400w, 600w & 1000w grow lights setup

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bet those are Chinese made, probably off-gas GOD KNOWS WHAT??

IMHO buy a name brand tent from a well known manufacturer, YES it will cost more but do you want to smoke god knows what chemicals might be off-gassing from that tent?

Just my two euro's!

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
It says "Non-toxic to Environment
Up to date highly reflective material will NOT react under light and heat to release any harmful gasses, which might damage sensitive plants." for what it's worth.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I bought one of these knock off style tents, but it's only for clones and starting seeds.

What I can tell you is that the frame is metal(but weak), the corners are plastic, and the stitching on the zippers has come loose, making it impossible to properly close up. I'm sure you could remedy the stitching, but the plastic corners might break and the frame will more than likely bow in if there's too much weight on it.

It worked for what I needed it to do, but as I'm getting ready to setup two new tents. I'm definitely going to spring for the name brand tents. I don't think I'll go all out and buy a Secret Jardin Extreme, but I more than likely will be buying a Sun Hut XL Silver Edition. I found a 4x8 for $350.00 or so. Which seemed reasonable. I don't have any experience with them, but I'm hoping the stitching will be of higher quality.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks, for your review. I knew it wasn't going to be the quality as say a $350 tent but i new it was chinese and probably wasn't going to be perfect. It will probably work as amother chamber for me and starting clones.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chief , i bought a tent from them , not the one your lookin at but this one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFLECTIVE-HYDROPONICS-MYLAR-GROW-TENT-BOX-96-x-48-x-78-/300580718358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc01c716
& its pretty good quality . its not perfectly light tight , the intake flaps need to be better sealed but its a pretty good tent . poles are all steel & the corners pieces are too . it fits together pretty good its heavy material . no off gassing with these ,most tents that are off gassing have been removed from sales . I'd buy another from them & probably will soon . plain brown box no hydro names on the CC & fast delivered .

I got a 4ft by 2ft tent off Amazon. It looks very similar to yours. The listing said the holes were 4" when in actuality they are 6" holes, which I am happy about. For the price, its a good buy. However, I don't like the fact that the stitching on the zipper is pulling. I also dislike the fact that it has two doors that zip together. I feel like one door with one solid zipper all the way around would be more convenient than two doors that zip down the middle. It fits a 400 hps cooltube and carbon filter nicely though. Just enough to keep me with a full medicine cabinet.

I

Iron_Lion

4x2 is a stupid size, 3x3 would be much more practical or even 3x2.

onelung09

iron lion 2 250w hps running a a 4 x 2 kicks ass just saying theres a lot of options and routes with this awesome hobby

I

Iron_Lion

iron lion 2 250w hps running a a 4 x 2 kicks ass just saying theres a lot of options and routes with this awesome hobby

Yeah with 2 250's it would be ok, but with 1 250, 1 400, or 1 600 its would be a worthless footprint.

The Seeker

I bought the 6x6 tent from the same eBay seller. It worked pretty good for me. The top of the frame needed to be tied to the ceiling for extra support. I ran a 400W HPS in it. The quality was good, zippers were heavy duty and never gave me a problem. The inner reflective surface was a nice bonus, nice vents, no light leaks. Made my house smell like an oil refinery for 2 weeks. Didn't hurt the plants.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks for the replies, they have beenvery helpfu. I may go with the smaller one that just has a singe door now that you have mentioned the broblemwith the doube door. I've built many cabinets over the years and reay need something not to tall and easy to takedown. I saw a 32"x32"x60" I got plent of lights for the 2x4 one but I can see the flaw in that doube door with a single zipper. Thanks for the heads up.

Bunz

I bought the "store brand" 3' x 3' from Green Coast Hydro (www.gchydro.com), but can't find them on their website anymore. Think I paid $139 w/ local pickup. Might call & see if they have any lying around.

Bunz :D

SneakySneaky

Veteran
dont have any experience in the knockoff, but youve been given a pretty good bit of info in the replies. id buy a name brand one for the long haul, if u need something up and running cheap then i guess youve found your best bet (till you harvest and buy a good one lol) ive had a hydrohut and currently have a sun hut xl 4x8. love these things, its easy to build aroom but much easier to pop one of these bad boys up.

I

Iron_Lion

Made my house smell like an oil refinery for 2 weeks.

That's the smell of China :D

I bought an HTG 5x8, it was an awesome price and seemed too good to be true. 2 grows in the zipper started falling off. Cheap chinese shit, I learned my lesson with that one. Now I gotta save up for a better one, so now it will cost me a grand for one good tent.

C

canavi

I just picked up a 4x8 from that same retailer. I'll get pics up at some point.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I have ran most if not all cheapo tents from ebay and other knockoffs. THey ALL worked just fine, some of the fit n finish isn't great BUT if you are anal about it then BUILD SOMETHING that you can seal correctly versus complaining about "stitch pinhole light leaks" etc or offgassing.

I never had an offgassing issue but I ran my lights for awhile with it sealed up and then aired it out for a week just to get that "plastic smell" out of it, all seemed fine with me.