What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to prepare scraps for tumbler?

berbes

i have a great okief tumbler, but no directions.

-what is the best way to prepare product to tumble?
-how long do you tumble for?

thanks!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Freeze it first and check after 20 minutes.

Paying attention to how much green is accumulating is the key!

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
No green is bad.... the leaf is a contaminate; remember the whole point of the process is to remove the resins from the plant matter.

Don't completely dry to herb to where it will powder, I like to toss it in the freezer for 24 hrs or longer... we use a dedicated chest freezer so space is a non issue. Alternatively we do dry sifting at below -10 C. Preferably the herb is still slightly pliable before frozen, so it bends rather than flakes while being bumped around in the rotating sieve.

I collect @ 5mins, then do a separate longer run of 10-15 mins for the second grade.

-Chimera

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Berbes, contact okief.com and tell them what tumbler you have and they will send you a .pdf file with explicit instructions.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I've been running a large tumbler for several years. My last batch yielded 2oz of great keif. I've tried freezing, but I didn't notice any difference in quality or yield. I like to dry my trimmings completely, which is counter to the poster above, and tumble a pound or so at a time. I used to grade the product by taking keif accumulated at different points, but now I just throw it all together. I usually take the keif as my head stash, and the 2oz's lasted me almost 3 months. I think I prefer the keif as is, without any pressing, but that's personal opinion.

C

Chamba

how to prepare scraps for tumbler?

if quality is your aim, follow one of the techniques above ...here's a few suggestions...hand separate plant parts that have little or no resin from the stuff that does, quality to begin with is directly related the quality of the end result. Freeze it for at least several hours in a sealed container.
Don't crush up your resin encrusted plant material and just put in a few handfuls trim at a time and run it for just a few minutes. Make sure to keep the unsifted plant material frozen until it's about to be sifted/tumbled. Re-sifting the collected resin, either through the same tumbler or a finer micron flat screen, stopping when about 90+ % has re-passed through the mesh. In the case of re-sifting through the same mesh (that has been thoroughly cleaned out prior to re-sifitng), the 10% stuff that's above the mesh will be mostly broken up plant matter and the resin will be a little purer each time this is done. When sifting the frozen resin through a eg a 65 micron mesh (I presume the tumbler you're using is 125 micron), impurities like dust, resin stalks, immature resin heads and mostly powdered leaves will pass through leaving purer resin above the mesh.

then re-run the re-frozen material again for longer durations, you can work out what length of time is good for you and your material

If you are interested in learning heaps more on how to make and enjoy the essence of cannabis via dry sifting then do a search here in this hashish forum

Berbes, contact okief.com and tell them what tumbler you have and they will send you a .pdf file with explicit instructions.

or do a search for "okief tumbler" and "dry sifting" here on icmag.com and you should find lots of threads dedicated to okief tumblers, tumblers in general and many different ways to dry sift your material. Icmag contains, by far, the world's most comprehensive collection of dry sifting information.

Lots of good advice so far and it's good to hear about different techniques...i want to smoke some of Chimera's dry sift! I bet that stuff would zing-ding-a-ling my brain

"Freeze it first and check after 20 minutes.

Paying attention to how much green is accumulating is the key!"

so true. It's a whole lot easier to not allow the contaminants through the mesh in the first place, rather than trying to remove it later.....and as is periodically checking out the percentage of remaining trichomes on the plant material.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Chamba is right on. I forgot to add that you should remove any stems from the trim. They will wrap around the trim, and create bundles that won't tumble evenly.

AquaLabTech

The Hashish Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Tumbling for Kief

Tumbling for Kief

Chamba is the man for instructions on Dry Sifting for Kief!!

Always good detailed instructions.

Aqua Lab Tech