What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

O'Kief Tube Users & Oil Heads

Well, I finally decided to do a BHO run. I'm going to order the smaller size tube and a case of Vector or Colibri 'tane. I also have two new pyrex dishes and a bunch of popcorn and trim.

I only have a few questions that I wanna figure out before I get started..

I keep hearing different opinions, break up the bud, leave the bud whole, etc. I keep reading to do two runs for purity but i'm looking for more quantity than quality (honestly, being newer to oil its ALL super potent to me) so should I break everything down before I run a tube?

Also what size cans should I order? The big 300ml ones? Some say run a half a tube, some say a whole, others say two lol i'm getting alot of mixed messages on that. How much 'tane should run per one packed tube?

Lastly, i like the softt gooey oil a lil more than the hard, I enjoy just sticking a paperclip and getting a little goo for the Ti particular method to getting that consistency?

Hopefully i'll have some shots soon I can share with everyone i'll let you all know how it smokes when i finally do my first run

crftymofo

For quantity breaking it all up is best. you don't get nearly as much with bigger buds.

Sure you have read, but a nice little trick is to wet your fingers before messing with it. Not realy sure why, but it won't stick to your fingers. Also sticking your tools in the freezer afterwards makes it easy to get all the oil off.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
thats not true. i bet you get max 5 percent difference using whole large buds as compared to breaking them up.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Yes you are correct Kut, I know this because I've measured it myself multiple times for my own clarification. The only difference is saving time between running whole or breaking it up so you can run more at a time. Now if you are running rock hard nugs it's a different story

jd4083

Veteran
First run = whole, well trimmed nugs
Second run = break it down and do what you'd like, just make sure to separate the two

IMO, like kut said, the diff in yield is negligible and the quality more than makes up for it.

Really quite difficult to get the good stuff with broken up buds n trim...

url.jpg

greenIrie

Look to run a full 300mL can per ounce, although it is possible to get more out of each can.

If you leave the tube half empty you'll need to spray the tube again after it has got back to room temperature, no need to even repack it. My roommate fills the tube halfway while I fill it full and he will often get half his total yield off the second run yet I will only get a few percent.

The trichs are on the outside of the plant so unless you are running super dense buds there is no need to bust it up.

I think i'm gonna do my run with broken up buds, only because I see the results in Chiefsmokingbud's thread and I like what I see. I honestly dont need two different purities of oil, i'd prefer to do it all in one run and have a bunch of it on hand.

300ml per oz? How much does the smaller size tube hold when full? About that? Or did I read 44g's somewhere..?

You guys dont understand, yer all spoiled! Having all this crazy bubble and oil on hand all the time

This stuff is few and far in between, ive only as of recently started smoking oil and I gotta tell ya its definitely something new I enjoy it alot, since I started smoking oil i've been doing a ton of reading and whatnot, now all I wanna do is start applying what ive learned

jd4083

Veteran
Just be prepared to not be able to get high from anything but oil anymore if you start smoking it daily like you do flowers or even lower-strength extracts. :laughing:

Hahaha yeah I hear you, definitely. Even the strains I have now aren't really doing the trick, yes and no. Definitely need some new strains just to mix it up a little bit. But as for hash and oil it definitely builds up a shitload of tolerence thats for sure;)

DankSide

I got hard candy with small nugs and trim.
At first it came out sticky, but as it settled, it became a brittle candy at room temperature and turns into a piece of clay in hand temperatures.

I use two 320ml cans for a fully packed tube, not sure if you could use more - I just read HMK saying 200ml per ounce though which means I wash 2-3 times too much. The buds will come out still looking kind of frosty, but I believe thats because this process washes away most of the trich heads and leaves the stalks. Is that right?

If thats the case, then is there any way to use the leftovers for cooking or anything else? Or just forget about the stalks?

jd4083

Veteran
1 can per ounce is a great rule of thumb. More than that is a waste of time and butane, and seems to make the purge that much more difficult to achieve correctly as well.

LOL excellent, thats about as cut and dry as you can get

Now all I need is a decent skillet with a vapor bell.. I really like the HMK pipe ALOT I wish I knew how I could get my hands on one...............

I called a local shop today (a very large, high end one mind you) and asked if they stocked "vapor bells with titanium pads" and was basically yelled at told never to call again, "those are absoloutely illegal" etc not really sure why?

They carry torches, dipsticks and hotknife supplies, lots of other "specific" things but somehow oil bells are taboo? maybe he thought i meant a meth pipe? He said something about "youll have to talk to a manufacturer, your gonna get me in trouble I can't keep talking about this" but i'm really not sure why...

No clue where I can get any oil products in real life, Aqualab and HMK are the only places I know of where I can obtain specific devices unfortunately..

jd4083

Veteran
LOL excellent, thats about as cut and dry as you can get

Now all I need is a decent skillet with a vapor bell.. I really like the HMK pipe ALOT I wish I knew how I could get my hands on one...............

I called a local shop today (a very large, high end one mind you) and asked if they stocked "vapor bells with titanium pads" and was basically yelled at told never to call again, "those are absoloutely illegal" etc not really sure why?

They carry torches, dipsticks and hotknife supplies, lots of other "specific" things but somehow oil bells are taboo? maybe he thought i meant a meth pipe? He said something about "youll have to talk to a manufacturer, your gonna get me in trouble I can't keep talking about this" but i'm really not sure why...

No clue where I can get any oil products in real life, Aqualab and HMK are the only places I know of where I can obtain specific devices unfortunately..

I'd imagine if you're on the west coast they're probably particularly sensitive to the legalities of solvent-extracted concentrates, pretty sure you get in a substantial amount of trouble for producing something like BHO over there nowadays.

When I first started smoking oil I rocked a titanium camping spork attached to a wood block with a screw and a nut for 6 months and it never did me wrong. :laughing:

I've got a buddy out west who produces titanium nails for dome set-ups, pretty sure he also does or can do pads. I know somebody else who's working on some sort of quartz-impregnated pad which I would imagine is an effort to increase the lifespan of the pad, but it seems a little space age to me for this particular purpose. I'd like to give it a shot though, seems cool.

edit- if you want to get just the bell and the pad from somewhere else, there are a million different sources for those depending on your price range...although the ALT curves work fine and are pretty economical. I would recommend having somebody who knows what they're doing (like, say, the artist who made the curve) actually wrap the spoke/wire, it's a pain in the ass to do cleanly and there is some risk of breaking something if done incorrectly.

peace

Yea alot of people are developing on the Ti pad since the Vapor Swing has came out and started this big thing HMK def had the right idea;) they have glass pads too now I guess?

The ALT ones are cool, pretty much exactly what i want....only thing i'm putting under consideration is a 90* curve, or a snorkel?

Im really feeling these ROOR bubblers... I cant seem to find pictures but ive seen them irl and on youtube, its a 3 piece bubbler with a 4 stem tree perc, absoloutely gorgeous

vta

Veteran

A head shop not to far from me has them...so they are slowly making their way to the stores. Maybe your right and they guy thought you were taking about crack pipes lol. Anyways, they have just the curve with the pad setup for $80. It looks like typical China BS glass and nothing near the quality of my HMK. I think your best bet is to try to either get on "the list" or get one from ALT.

I know.. "THE LIST" hahah i wonder if he knows any Schindlers... no but seriously lol....

HMK id def. like to inquire about getting my name on a list, costs involved etc, but I am definitely interested. Ive seen a bunch of these units on here and various youtubes and i'd really love to have one. If theres anything I can do please PM me and let me know

Latest posts

Latest posts