What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

French Yellow Vests Get Fuel Hike Cancelled

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i made a long rant about this and when i clicked post, i was informed that i wasn't logged in and poof the whole post gone, lol.

i hate that when it happens.

anyway, the chemical weapons was meant, of course, as a bit of irony, but not purely, it is true that tear gas has been banned for use in war on opposing soldiers. but for some strange reason it's perfectly fine for western governments to shower their protesting citizens in the toxic stuff.

in the end it is a weapon and it is a chemical, so strictly speaking it is a chemical weapon and if we had seen those scenes in Russia or Iran, all the warmongering big mouths would be shouting about the abuse of human rights and attacking peaceful protesters.

when it happened in Syria they literally organized and financed an armed insurrection and the country has been in civil war ever since, with the west paying, arming and supporting the separatist and even terrorists.

when such protests happens in the US, or Britain, or France, everyone collectively shuts their eyes and says how it was the protesters fault finish. if it happens in Iran you can bet they would be singing a different tune. :D

but the worst of what i saw was the way the black helmets were collectively punishing the protesters, by trapping them and surrounding them , then firing tear gas and rubber shells into the mass of people for hours and hours, no one was allowed to leave, they were literally tortured with tear gas. apparently it want pepper spray either, it was full power hard core crowd control gas. i saw videos where folks collapsed just from breathing that shit, i saw footage of guys with their hands up being shot with tennis ball sized chunks of hard rubber. at least 3 people died as a result of the police actions. they didnt care if you were peaceful or not, everyone was tear gassed.

of course no human likes to feel helpless like that, most men started to get angry and from 1 or 2 idiots chucking shit, it went to a good 10% tearing up paving stones to have amo against the heavily armoured black helmets.

i don't normally feel sympathy for rioters, but in this case i have some sympathy for them. they showed Macron that he is at their service, not the other way around. giving his wealthy elite friends a special tax cut and 2 weeks later adding 30% to fuel was just too much. he already lengthened the working week, increased the pension age, reduced pension payments, now he invents a so called ecco fuel tax just so he can pay for his rich mans tax cut. so yeah, no wonder the middle class decided to send a message. these are the people that never protest, they are too busy paying for everything with their sweat, but when you push too far, there is bound to be back lash. now he can kiss his fuel tax heist goodbye and probably his cushy job too.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
The ATF has been giving that 300 million figure for 3 decades, I'd wager the real number is double-triple that.

But yes we make the message be heard for sure. They think the Afghans were tough...lol.
That's why the politicians want restrictions and registration.

the majority of the US citizens are soft and out of shape, they might have better fire arms then the Afghans, but i don't think they have the same level of toughness, Afghans are used to going without food and water, they are used to the scorching heat and freezing nights. they have been fighting their whole lives one enemy or another.

in the US or the west in general, all it would take to bring 90% of the population to it's knees would be cutting power and water and stopping food shipments. it's not only about weapons.

Last edited:

Fuel

Third degree is sometimes tricky to share ^^

I can't disagree on the massive amount of tear gas used, to defend at the basis an ecologic tax. Schizophrenic world.

W

Water-

I watch these videos and it makes me so happy that the British got off that sinking ship that it never belonged on anyway.

Badfishy1

‘Fuel tax’ is a bullshit scapegoat in all of this. It is so much more than paying a ‘tax’. This is the beginning of a revolution. The Media and their globalist puppetmasters are using the ‘gas tax’ to cover up the French citizens are fucking pissed. Pissed at working like good little citizens as immigrants are getting handouts left and right while the French suffer. Macron is fucked and nowhere to be found. His next sighting will be strapped in a guillotine

St. Phatty

‘Fuel tax’ is a bullshit scapegoat in all of this. It is so much more than paying a ‘tax’.

Macron is fucked and nowhere to be found. His next sighting will be strapped in a guillotine

I would say, "Let them eat Cake", PROBABLY worked better than "Let them eat Fuel Taxes".

But I don't know what happened to the the French leader who said "Let them eat Cake".

igrowone

Veteran
i can see the fuel tax was only a trigger, straw that broke the camel's back
it's a first stab at carbon taxes, and guess what - new taxes are not popular
some think the carbon compounds in the air is no problem, and that's becoming obviously wrong
some massive new changes on fossil fuels are coming, and if the past is prologue ...
get ready for a bumpy ride

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ The Chinese offset any gains you make cutting fossil fuels in US and Europe. Throw in India and the rest of the 3rd world. I was thinking they could not make much change without lopping off Macron's head but they are shutting down the tourist areas so a lot of money is leaving the hands of the elite. Not sure now how it plays out.

The Muslims or immigrants were rioting all along as I remember. Burning cars and such. Nothing came of that as I recall.

igrowone

Veteran
^^ The Chinese offset any gains you make cutting fossil fuels in US and Europe. Throw in India and the rest of the 3rd world. I was thinking they could not make much change without lopping off Macron's head but they are shutting down the tourist areas so a lot of money is leaving the hands of the elite. Not sure now how it plays out.

The Muslims or immigrants were rioting all along as I remember. Burning cars and such. Nothing came of that as I recall.

oh it's not something France can solve, or the USA can solve
world problem, and will require dramatic action by the world, action the likes of which have never been done before
i can see an attempted carbon tax triggering the same reaction in any country

Mick

Veteran

If that's true, and I don't think it is, maybe we as a species are just about approaching the end. Being so stupid and selfish will eventually get us removed from the cosmic gene pool. It's weird that we are having our future decided by the climate change deniers. Viva la democracia

Klompen

I was teaching in Paris 20+ years ago during a big student protest and it shocked me at what the kids got away with there.

Flipping cars and smashing every business window that was uncovered.
Those folks know how to make politicians listen there.:tiphat:

We only tolerate it in the USA when its drunken sports fans mad about their silly vicarious action heroes winning or losing. I've seen cars flipped and burned over both. Alcohol seems to be the common factor. Funny, I've never seen anyone flip a car over and burn it because they're all stoned.....

Klompen

world problem, and will require dramatic action by the world, action the likes of which have never been done before

Maybe not. Right now the Brits meekly pay the equivalent of 7-10 US dollars per gallon. Of course Britain hasn't been a democracy in any real sense of the word basically.... ever, but the pretense of democracy there is weak at the moment. Just look at how people voted for Brexit and anti-Brexit people like Theresa May hijacked the movement and have dragged it out for years with the hope of getting the British public to forget about it.

Klompen

Sorry Bro, but no chemicals weapons here, don t believe Fox news or HBO, just tear gas canisters and flash balls...

Tear gas is considered a chemical weapon and is illegal to use in war as a result. That's what he is referring to. Not legal to use in war, but legal to use on civilians. Kind of fucked up.

Klompen

I watch these videos and it makes me so happy that the British got off that sinking ship that it never belonged on anyway.

Just to be clear, the British public voted for Brexit, but their leaders have not allowed it to happen yet. PM May was against it, but ended up in charge of it because of her party and has pretended to be for it. The whole time she has worked to delay the process over and over again. I believe the "elites" are trying to drag out the process long enough to give them time to talk the British public out of the idea. Its a scary thing when the public starts voting for things you don't want them to.

Wendull C.

Veteran

Do you ever see that happening? I don't. If our survival depends on world consensus and action, we are fucked. Proper fucked :biggrin:.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
at least 3 people died as a result of the police actions.

...giving his wealthy elite friends a special tax cut and 2 weeks later adding 30% to fuel was just too much. he already lengthened the working week, increased the pension age, reduced pension payments, now he invents a so called ecco fuel tax just so he can pay for his rich mans tax cut. so yeah, no wonder the middle class decided to send a message. these are the people that never protest, they are too busy paying for everything with their sweat, but when you push too far, there is bound to be back lash. now he can kiss his fuel tax heist goodbye and probably his cushy job too.

I respect your views gaius, and actually often agree with you when it comes to international policies, but here your datas are screwed, for instance police killed just one person ( that's one too many, of course), a granny whom received grenad parts while sitting at home, looking at the riot...and macron didn't invent a damn tax ( or lenghtened the working week,) this was planned for at least 5 to 10 years...

Now it brings one question, where do you get your information?

And please could you also define what is for you the
average French citizens who work and pay tax

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I respect your views gaius, and actually often agree with you when it comes to international policies, but here your datas are screwed, for instance police killed just one person ( that's one too many, of course), a granny whom received grenad parts while sitting at home, looking at the riot...and macron didn't invent a damn tax ( or lenghtened the working week,) this was planned for at least 5 to 10 years...

Now it brings one question, where do you get your information?

And please could you also define what is for you the

from the reporting i read, since the yellow vest protest started 4 week ends ago 3, now 4 people died. the 1 dead was just the last week ends protest, but this thing started 4 weeks ago and has been all over the country.

you ask about the phrase:

"average French citizens who work and pay tax"

this means it wasn't refugees this time, nor was it the really poor from the ghettos, nor was it the professional far left and far right type, although they joined in too in the end. this time it was those in society who are normally doing ok and don't normally go on riots. no intention to denigrate anyone, but a country depends on those people who do pay tax. when they start to act like this you have to take notice. when the millions of people who keep the heat on, the electric running, the gas flowing, the water clean, the sewage removed, the roads fixed etc, start saying we won't take anymore, you better watch out.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
from the reporting i read, since the yellow vest protest started 4 week ends ago 3, now 4 people died. the 1 dead was just the last week ends protest, but this thing started 4 weeks ago and has been all over the country.

5 people died since the start of the events, 1 killed accidently by the police and the 4 other are traffic casualties due to the very action of the yellow jackets...

this means it wasn't refugees this time, nor was it the really poor from the ghettos, nor was it the professional far left and far right type, although they joined in too in the end. this time it was those in society who are normally doing ok and don't normally go on riots. no intention to denigrate anyone, but a country depends on those people who do pay tax. when they start to act like this you have to take notice. when the millions of people who keep the heat on, the electric running, the gas flowing, the water clean, the sewage removed, the roads fixed etc, start saying we won't take anymore, you better watch out.

Refugees never rioted in france...yes there have been issues with them, but that was a far cry from a riot TBH.

Where you got it really wrong is about the far right, they've been at it since the very beginning, since, as i said earlier, they expect to win some more political power from those protest...far left came after that and his far from organized enough to make a difference, unless you think about melenchon and his party which is labeled as far left yet not really his (the guy is rich and just want supreme power, like most political leaders).

when the millions of people who keep the heat on, the electric running, the gas flowing, the water clean, the sewage removed, the roads fixed
While i agree with you, the real problem is raising taxes are not used to do that, but to pay the debt interest to the international bankers. And there's not even a million of people in these manifestation, but barely 1% of the working force.

I don't know if you got an agenda or if you're ill informed, but either way what you're saying is simply far from reality on the ground.