What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I can find neither 'delete' nor 'edit' functions.
Ya. It'll take you 50 posts to get the edit function.

You mean this?
picture.php

I have one and an assortment of hand shears. I only had to trim one 12 foot sapling. A hand saw is good for most shade trees. I don't like planting with a simple overhead clearing. I plant in an area with the most South/South East exposure as possible. South East is important because I believe early morning sun is more important that late afternoon sun. If you have a choice between morning or afternoon shade, choose afternoon shade. I like how Elmer Bud put it.

G `day T

Morning sun earlier = turning on metabolism early .
Once turned on it stays on . That means gains every day over plants that get sun later in the morning . Cumulative over 60 days ; 1 hour later sun . 60 hours less growth equivalent to a weeks less growth compared to the early sun plants .

EB .

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
If egg shells work then maybe diatomaceous earth could be useful. Nice thread tycho, will be nice for a reread every season start, cheers

Treevly

Ya. It'll take you 50 posts to get the edit function.

You mean this?
View Image

Yes, of that type, more or less, with a steel handle with a hole in the end, and a broom handle goes in the hole to provide an extension, and the cord needs to be lengthened. I've been ten feet up a ladder in a crowded hedgerow at midnight with one of those things. It's awkward. They can be useful, depending on which vegetation is shading what.

Heaven knows what the coyotes must think of a hairless ape up in a tree at midnight, thrashing about.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yes, of that type, more or less, with a steel handle with a hole in the end, and a broom handle goes in the hole to provide an extension, and the cord needs to be lengthened. I've been ten feet up a ladder in a crowded hedgerow at midnight with one of those things. It's awkward. They can be useful, depending on which vegetation is shading what.

Heaven knows what the coyotes must think of a hairless ape up in a tree at midnight, thrashing about.

When they circled me all I had was a little head lamp and scissors. lol. I went back the next day and debucked/stripped the branches by hand. Way way better than fucking around with cutting every bud off one at a time. I was in and out.... like a Rabbit.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
4Ltr (1gl) ice cream container. It was about full but I squished it down.
picture.php

1lb food processor pulverized egg shells.
picture.php

I have a few people saving them for me. I might have 5-10 lbs by planting time.

CrushnYuba

What are you using that thing for? For trimming tree growth that is shading your garden? It's not a saw though? It just clips? I have a fisker pole lopper that i use for clipping inside top buds. But the cord is in the handle.
Why not just use a pole saw?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't use that. I use simple hand garden shears *if I need them. If a tree is in the way, I'll move over.

I have spots that can hold thousands, but I only plant in south/south east exposures with as much western sky exposure as possible. I could just plant in the middle and get full sun all day, but stealth is always important.

Having said that, I've done it. Just can't resist a great grow spot. lol

Treevly

What are you using that thing for? For trimming tree growth that is shading your garden? YES.

It's not a saw though? It just clips? YES.

Why not just use a pole saw? I don't know what a pole say is. The device I have can reach about eleven feet after the extension is attached.

Treevly

Much of stuff causing shade belongs not to trees, but to parasitic wild grape vines which climb the trees and can cover and kill them. In some places the vines are 50% or more of the leaf vegetation.

Happy Times

Awesome awesome post Tycho

Wondering why you prefer morning sun / afternoon shade?

And what’s debucking?

Thanks for sharing the experiences and tips

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Awesome awesome post Tycho

Wondering why you prefer morning sun / afternoon shade?

And what’s debucking?

Thanks for sharing the experiences and tips

Thanks. Planting for early morning sun exposure is far from scientific. But most farmers will tell you it is, even if they can't tell you why or show you the data.

Morning sun earlier = turning on photosynthesis early. Once turned on it stays on. That means gains every day, over plants that get sun later in the morning. If there's no early morning direct sun light, even only one hour late over 90 days, that's 90 hours less light for growth (not really, but 90 extra hours of starting photosynthesis earlier). Also, when the plant is subjected to gradual increase in light intensity and temperature, it prevents shock due to sudden blast of strong light intensity and temperature, which otherwise could harm the plant.

But Ibechillin probably has the best reason.
From my understanding the reason for planting where you get the most morning sun exposure is to evaporate morning dew off of plants to avoid fungal and rot issues.
Imho the amount of sunlight hours the plants receive is much more important than when.

Debucking is taking the buds off the plant/stems. Doing it manually you could beat any machine hands down with room for a pizza and beer break. The downside after debucking 20 plants, is that you're hands and arms are going to be toast at the end of the day. Unless you're under 60yrs, then you should be able to do 40 before calling it a day.

Wearing a good pair of mechanics gloves, you grab a branch, squeeze, pull fast, and you'll strip the buds off the branch. You'll end up with just a stick and a handful of bud. If you're in a race, you can strip a 1lb plant in under 60 seconds. I did about 12 plants in under an hour. Popcorn bud and all, and I had a smoke/coffee break and enjoyed the day.

I had 2 of these large duffel bags.
picture.php

If you have lots to do, you can spend $8k and get this one. But doing it by hand lets you really dial in how hard to grip the branch, which means keeping your buds big.
[iframeb]LABQhBkWX_w[/iframeb]

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Legalization didn't make people smoke anymore than they already did. We just don't have to hide it, and our plants (4-5) can be in our vegetable garden instead of hidden in the bush.

I barely smoke at all. Maybe one or two tokes a month. But I grow way more than is legal, like 14 years in the sin bin if caught, so ya, I hide that.

Latest posts

Latest posts