What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me's First Grow & Grow Diary

Tri_Cho_Me

So for my first grow, I had one plant that I topped i think it was 3 times. It stayed nice and buschy. The other plant that I only topped once and didnt take too many side branches off, grew about a foot taller than the other and was thinned out. I made a frame out of a 2x4 that i split in half with my table saw. Attached that to the wall and then ran the string.
Anyways....

If you top her a few times and keep her shorter, you'll have much thicker steams to keep them upright as they produce flowers.

The plant that I topped is far ahead of the other one. Which seems weird to me but the only that grew tall and that I scrogged, it will def have a lot more flowers. I hope that it'll just take more time?

Once you get those seeds, everything will fall into place as the grow progresses. Are those scrog's you put up easily removable? I'd let your plants grow some first and see how they grow.

Yep, they are. I can just remove two zip ties from the door side of the tent, and they will just hang there out of the way.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Seeds Are Here!

Seeds Are Here!

Hey all,

Just wanted to give an update. The seeds are in my possession! Both Strawberry Kush and Sour Diesel. As you can see below, I am doing the paper towel method with two Strawberry Kush to start. No soak in water beforehand. Now in a room temp dark place. Will check tomorrow to see if there is any progress. :biggrin:

Other than that, just making sure everything is ready and up to snuff. Got the pH figured out for both store bought distilled water, as well as my own tap water. As suspected I have horrible water and will be purchasing more pH Down in the near future :headbange

Light is hung and in place. I'm a perfectionist, so having it hang weird and all crooked pisses me off, but whatever. I need to get over it and just expect it to not be perfect. Also, taped the fan cords to the side of the tent to keep things clean and out of the way.

Thanks for following along! Will keep you posted of the happenings in the next day or two.

Peace,
Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• Seeds1.jpg
    Seeds1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Seeds2.jpg
    Seeds2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Seeds3.jpg
    Seeds3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Nutes & H2O.jpg
    Nutes & H2O.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Solo cups & Light.jpg
    Solo cups & Light.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 11

ictiv

Hey all,

Just wanted to give an update. The seeds are in my possession! Both Strawberry Kush and Sour Diesel. As you can see below, I am doing the paper towel method with two Strawberry Kush to start. No soak in water beforehand. Now in a room temp dark place. Will check tomorrow to see if there is any progress. :biggrin:

Other than that, just making sure everything is ready and up to snuff. Got the pH figured out for both store bought distilled water, as well as my own tap water. As suspected I have horrible water and will be purchasing more pH Down in the near future :headbange

Light is hung and in place. I'm a perfectionist, so having it hang weird and all crooked pisses me off, but whatever. I need to get over it and just expect it to not be perfect. Also, taped the fan cords to the side of the tent to keep things clean and out of the way.

Thanks for following along! Will keep you posted of the happenings in the next day or two.

Peace,
Tri_Cho_Me

Good luck dude, will keep watching it! im on my first grow too, but atm in 3th week of flowering! Doing a Kush too, Violator.

Tri_Cho_Me

Good luck dude, will keep watching it! im on my first grow too, but atm in 3th week of flowering! Doing a Kush too, Violator.

Good luck to you as well! Do you have a grow diary going as well?

Good luck man. :lurk:

Thanks dude! Chime in any advice through out. Appreciate it!

:smoke out:

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

We had activity with our little girls after only 16 hours.

I waited about 28 hours before I planted them. Tap root down.
Gave them a light water to get the air out of the soil.

I havent turned all the fans, exhaust and light on yet. I figure why waste the energy/money. It can take up to a week to see them poke through. Or so I've read. Once I see the first signs of life, all put everything in motion.

Well on our way kids! :peacock:

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• Tap Root.jpg
    Tap Root.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Babies in the crib.jpg
    Babies in the crib.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 15

Fiddynut

Looking good Tri_Cho_Me! I'm looking forward to seeing you grow some great buds. Now the real fun starts! I bet you will see those seedlings pop up in a day or two.

Tri_Cho_Me

Looking good Tri_Cho_Me! I'm looking forward to seeing you grow some great buds. Now the real fun starts! I bet you will see those seedlings pop up in a day or two.

I hope so! I'm not the most patient, so this could be interesting.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

I hope so! I'm not the most patient, so this could be interesting.

Tri_Cho_Me
I never had the patience to get through a grow until recently. You will be fine. Just love them without loving them to death. Looking forward to seeing those first leaves popping up soon!

Tri_Cho_Me

:laughing: I'm pretty sure my first grow took 10 years to complete.

Haha! I feel that way too, and I dont even have leaves yet!

I never had the patience to get through a grow until recently. You will be fine. Just love them without loving them to death. Looking forward to seeing those first leaves popping up soon!

Me too! I have heard seeds/seedlings dont like a ton of water. How do I know when to water the soil again if I haven't seen any activity?

Tri_Cho_Me

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Wait until they are light when lifted up. Try this: get another cup and fill it with your dry soil mix. When the seedlings feels as light as that dry cup, water them. A seedling shouldn't need water before it is above ground, and can easily drown. In my environment a seedling in a 9oz cup will take about a week to dry out.

chomsky

Haha! I feel that way too, and I dont even have leaves yet!

Me too! I have heard seeds/seedlings dont like a ton of water. How do I know when to water the soil again if I haven't seen any activity?

Tri_Cho_Me

Seeds don't want to be drowned but they do need to be kept moist. Keep the soil wet where you put the seeds in with a measuring dropper or several pumps with a spray bottle of Ph'd water every morning or when you notice the surface drying. Try to imagine you're using just enough water to sink just below the seeds. Getting seeds started and the first week or two is the hardest part to balance.

chomsky

I just saw what Reiko said and he is right too. There are many ways I'm sure. When the seeds sprout the goal is to establish healthy roots right away. The roots will go looking for water. That is why Reiko is suggesting letting the soil dry out. He is absolutely correct. However, at the very beginning in my experience there a slight risk you can drown seedlings in those cups if you give enough water to saturate the soil All the way to the bottom of the cup. Especially if your soil doesn't have enough drainage. Also, if you wait too long that the soil below can get too dry that's why I surface water lightly as the roots get established. The weight method Reiko is suggesting is actually exactly how I water in soil all the way throughout any soil grow. Sorry for babbling.

Tri_Cho_Me

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I will wait to do anything else for awhile. They are pretty saturated right now after my initial watering. I have a ziplock over them to create some humidity. Should I take those off to allow the soil to dry easier?

Chomsky, you'll be pleased to know I will be going to a 1 gallon smart pot after this :)

Tri_Cho_Me

Last edited:

chomsky

Chomsky, you'll be pleased to know I will be going to a 1 gallon smart pot after this :)

Tri_Cho_Me

HA nice and yes take off the plastic. Keep your surrounding environment stable like it will be during your grow. Also as soon as you see the girls pop out of the soil get a fan on em. That light movement will help the grow strong stems from the get go.

Tri_Cho_Me

HA nice and yes take off the plastic. Keep your surrounding environment stable like it will be during your grow. Also as soon as you see the girls pop out of the soil get a fan on em. That light movement will help the grow strong stems from the get go.

I wasn't planning on turning the all the fans and light on until I saw a sprout. You're saying I should?

Thanks!
Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

We have some action!

We have some action!

Alright ladies and gents! As you can see in the pics below, we have some sprouts! These Strawberry Kush ladies were planted on Monday and started to poke through the soil this afternoon.

#2 is barely starting to peek through. If you look closely, you can see them stem curled down about ready to pop up.

I turned everything on in the tent, so we're officially up and running! Just as a reminder, Im running an Advanced Platinum P450 LED. Starting off in veg of course, and right now we're about 38 inches from the top of the cups.

Glad I finally have something to look at besides dirt!

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 14
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15