What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-RASTAFARI-

cyat

Veteran
one cannot know the rasta unless one looks into the fundamental meaning of the word rasta
it is deeply mystical-a path no less-the rasta that is
rasta is hindi /sanskrit and means "the way"
the embellishing and exploitation of it since 1960's is tragic however and not many elders even know the true history-the knowledge is lost-just like the fabled lambsbread

What doc said. Rasta is not a whole word. Rastafari is 2 words put together. Ras = prince, Tafari = Sellasie's birth name. Nothing to do with hindu or sanskrit. There have been many Ras's in Ethiopa. I see lotsa people into midnite, anyone from the v.i.?

RudeDog

Veteran
Check out irieuk for good reggae & dancehall vybz.

SelfHemployed - Hear you on Romain Virgo mate. Quality voice and top one drops.

Movado doing it for me at the moment, bringing some consciousness to the dancehall scene.

Perfect, Anthony B & Sizzla all got banging new riddims out.

Check out the Ganja Anthems collections for some smoked up riddims.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
I second that for Romain Virgo....just saw him in concert and chatted briefly with him about month and half ago. Humble young guy who is gonna be big for years to come....great voice, songs etc. CHeck out his self titled album if u havnt already! Good vibez

Ioni Botani

Telling me nobody is into the STEP?!

You know its Jah Futchah when ppl like Scratch are coming out with dubstep productions...

Jus sayin'... :D

Check it.

Respek my shit.

diggity

The benjamin bro's are as real as it gets my man, good lookin out. My favorites from Midnite have to start with..

My #1 riddim

"Make Manifest"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syclATqbkuQ

Followed by..

"That's on you" (Owna dirt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR6utDUxPUY

"Right here"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGnZxLGNBI&playnext=1&list=PLA864EB28E80B4CDE&index=6

"Respek dem Een"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiT4Qvfra4M

"Due Reward" (unreal live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vn2FXcLrH4

So Irie

THEN GOD SAID, I GIVE YOU EVERY SEED-BEARING
PLANT ON THE FACE OF THE WHOLE
EARTH, AND EVERY TREE THAT
HAS FRUIT IN IT."
GENESIS 1:29-30

The Second Appearance of Cannabis in Old Testament
In Solomon's Song of Songs, one of the most beautifully written pieces in the Old Testament, Solomon mentions kaneh in describing his bride:

COME WITH ME FROM LEBANON, MY BRIDE, COME WITH ME FROM LEBANON.
DESCEND FROM THE CREST OF AMANA, FROM THE TOP OF SENIR, THE SUMMIT OF HERMON. . .

HOW DELIGHTFUL IS YOUR LOVE, MY SISTER, MY BRIDE! HOW MUCH MORE PLEASING IS YOUR LOVE THAN WINE, AND THE FRAGRANCE OF YOUR OINTMENT THAN ANY SPICE!. . .

THE FRAGRANCE OF YOUR GARMENTS IS LIKE THAT OF LEBANON. . .

YOUR PLANTS ARE AN ORCHARD OF POMEGRANATES WITH CHOICE FRUITS, WITH HENNA AND NARD, NARD AND SAFFRON, KANEH AND CINNAMON, WITH EVERY KIND OF INCENSE TREE.

SONG OF SONGS 4:8-14

In The Temple and the Lodge by Baigent and Leigh, the authors state that Solomon's 'Song of Songs' is a hymn and invocation to the Phoenician mother goddess Astarte. Astarte was known as "Queen of Heaven", "Star of the Sea" and "Stella Marris".
The authors show us that Astarte was conventionally worshiped on mountains and hilltops.

SOLOMON LOVED YAHWEH; HE FOLLOWED THE PRECEPTS OF DAVID HIS FATHER, EXCEPT THAT HE OFFERED SACRIFICE AND INCENSE ON THE HIGH PLACES.
I Kings 3:3.

WHEN SOLOMON GREW OLD HIS WIVES SWAYED HIS HEART TO OTHER GODS; AND HIS HEART WAS NOT WHOLLY WITH YAHWEH HIS GOD AS HIS FATHER DAVID'S HAD BEEN. SOLOMON BECAME A FOLLOWER OF ASTARTE, THE GODDESS OF THE SIDONIANS
I Kings 11:4-5

Solomon's practice of burning incense on high to the Queen of Heaven may have been a custom done in the same spirit as that of the Scythians, who burned cannabis in mountain caves and consecrated the act to their version of the Great Goddess, Tabiti-Hestia.
Archeological finds show that the worship of the old Canaanite gods was an integral part of the religion of the Hebrews, through to the very end of Hebrew monarchy. The worship of the Goddess played a much more important role in this popular religion than that of the gods.

but what do rasta say about that:

Among the Rastas, ganja is called by many names, such as *callie* and *Iley* which suggests the essence of the herb. Other names are "the herb," "the grass," "the weed," and so on. Sometimes called "the wisdom weed," it is said that the weed was first grown on the grave of King Solomon, the wisest man on the earth. When used in ritual contexts, the name became known as the "holy herb" as various scriptures are given as proof of its sanctity. The Rastafarians will say that God who created all things made the herb for human use and will cite Genesis 1:12 as their proof text:

And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And

* ...thou shalt eat the herb of the field (Genesis 3:18).

* ...eat every herb of the land (Exodus 10:12).

* Better is a dinner of herb where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith (Proverbs 15:17).

* He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man. ...(Psalm 104:14).

These biblical texts are only a few of the many used by the cultists in defense of their rituals.

if you are wondering why "the second appereance":

The first mention of kaneh-bosm in the Old Testament appears with the prophet-shaman Moses. At the beginning of his shamanic career, Moses discovered the angel of the Lord in flames of fire from within a bush.

It is later in his life however, that a definite reference to cannabis is made. Sula Benet explains this reference as follows:

The sacred character of hemp in biblical times is evident from Exodus 30:22-33, where Moses was instructed by God to anoint the meeting tent and all its furnishings with specially prepared oil, containing hemp.

Anointing set sacred things apart from secular. The anointment of sacred objects was an ancient tradition in Israel: holy oil was not to be used for secular purposes...

Above all, the anointing oil was used for the installation rites of all Hebrew kings and priests.

THEN THE LORD SAID TO MOSES, "TAKE THE FOLLOWING FINE SPICES: 500 SHEKELS OF LIQUID MYRRH, HALF AS MUCH OF FRAGRANT CINNAMON, 250 SHEKELS OF KANNABOSM, 500 SHEKELS OF CASSIA - ALL ACCORDING TO THE SANCTUARY SHEKEL - AND A HIND OF OLIVE OIL. MAKE THESE INTO MAKE THESE INTO A SACRED ANNOITING OIL, A FRAGRANT BLEND, THE WORK OF A PERFUMER. IT WILL BE THE SACRED ANNOITING OIL.

THEN USE IT TO ANOINT THE TENT OF THE MEETING, THE ARK OF THE TESTIMONY, THE TABLE AND ALL ITS ARTICLES, THE LAMPSTAND AND ITS ACCESSORIES, THE ALTAR OF INCENSE, THE ALTAR OF BURNT OFFERING AND ALL ITS UTENSILS, AND THE BASIN WITH ITS STAND. YOU SHALL CONSECRATE THEM SO THEY WILL BE MOST HOLY, AND WHATEVER TOUCHES THEM WILL BE HOLY.

ANOINT AARON AND HIS SONS AND CONSECRATE THEM SO THEY MAY SERVE ME AS PREISTS. SAY TO THE ISRAELITES, "THIS IS TO BE MY SACRED ANOINTING OIL FOR THE GENERATIONS TO COME. DO NOT POUR IT ON MEN'S BODIES AND DO NOT MAKE ANY OIL WITH THE SAME FORMULA. IT IS SACRED, AND YOU ARE TO CONSIDER IT SACRED. WHOEVER MAKES PERFUME LIKE IT AND WHOEVER PUTS IT ON ANYONE OTHER THAN A PREIST MUST BE CUT OFF FROM HIS PEOPLE."

EXODUS 30:22-33

from: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread110644/pg1

C

CANNATOPIA

"These biblical texts are only a few of the many used by the cultists in defense of their rituals."
Very Small minded & negative post friend. In a way, all people who gather in support of any belief system or religion could be viewed as crazy cultists. In My opinion each to their own and above all peace.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The biggest MESSAGE of Rastafarianism is conscience community living,,

,, in gardening/farming,, in music ,, in entertainment,,, in the Elders of the village teaching the youts wat go on in the world. Western society is for the most part devoid of such consciousness of community living, because it is confused by false advertising and its continuing disconnection from the land.

Rasta or a rastafarian way of living (minus the religious doctrine) is the future... "Yes, Rasta is the future" Bob Marley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsfYAJ3dQyY

ghostly

"the more you understand the Herb, the more you understand Rasta" -bob

"the more you understand the Herb, the more you understand Rasta" -bob

Geets in the name of the most High, its good to be grateful, blessings in the name of Jahova!

Im so uplifted to find this thread. I first found Rasta when I was a youth, I stayed up late on wednesday nights to listen to "rasta bakery" which was broadcast from a local area college. Wow... how did a charlie brown, redneck country boy, find anything in this music he could relate to? Like DocLeaf says, I was raised in a huge family, in a small town, we farmed and hunted and lived with very little material tings. Community, struggle, family and music, lots of music-thats what we had. when you come from realness, you see the world differently. you might understand is more about the "haves and have nots" and less about race, gender or differences in culture.

but enough already... the musical selections on this thread are great!

here is my contribution....
TRIBAL SEEDS! I just happen to see them live a while back...WOW
I had chicken skin the whole time, i caught the holy ghost in a major skankin way. youngsters that are mystic

equal rights & justice-ghost

prowler

I used to listen to Skyfm reggae station but I found them to be a bit repetitious.

La Grosse Radio ("Fat Radio" is the english translation) is better save the occasional French reggae tune which most of the times aren't too bad at all.

Check It ...

http://www.lagrosseradio.com/playerLGR/playerlgr-reggae.php

Irie Vibes

Before Sky.fm i listened to (a french radio - WARNING NOT REGGAE!) soulfulbits. But it started to repeat itself so now i have been listening to sky.fm for about two months and i know that someday I will have enough of it so thank you for the link! I bookmarked it for the future.

Burt

Veteran
"Moses discovered the angel of the Lord in flames of fire from within a bush."
this-was a DMT ispired vision-the acacia bush contains DMTand was growing in that very spot-the lebanon Kaneh however-dead on!

"These biblical texts are only a few of the many used by the cultists in defense of their rituals."
Very Small minded & negative post friend. In a way, all people who gather in support of any belief system or religion could be viewed as crazy cultists. In My opinion each to their own and above all peace.

yo brah, if you read the whole post you would see those were not my words, but quoted from a website. way to focus on the one sentence that had very little to do with the ible and rasta. mi sey cha