What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 Outdoor Prep

What’s up Oregon growers

I know it’s only December, but I’m starting to get my thoughts in gear regarding my 2019 outdoor Oregon rec grow. I have a bunch of genetics that I’m comfortable with indoors, but I’m wanting to really grow out some nice sized sativas in the yard.

This will be my first year growing outdoors in Oregon, so I know that finishing time is important. Mold resistance, etc are also factors that I will need to consider. Anyone have any recommendations on strain? I’m really looking to go as pure sativa on these as possible. I love a nice uplifting happy sativa high.

I’ve been growing in soilless mediums for ever. Should I consider soil for these grows? Is it too late to start composting? I know there are stores all over town that have good pre-packaged soil mixes.

Lastly, anyone in the Eugene area that will have cuttings or seed would be amazing.

Thanks in advance, and hope everyones winter indoor grows are coming along nicely!

PDX Dopesmoker

The season for naturally flowering regular seeds outdoors here is so tight that to grow a real long flowering sativa is a hell of a challenge. I had a two sativa leaning hybrids last summer that started flowering Aug 1, nearly as early as they can go with deprivation and I took them in Oct 3 or so and they still could have filled in looks like 2 weeks more at least.
I think of Oct 1 as the normal date when you want to have your plants harvested by.
There are some hybrids around that do really well outdoors in the local climate. If you're growing inside over the winter you might even be able to get an idea which of your favorites might do well outside by putting them at 9/15 or even 8.5/15.5 from veg and seeing if any start blossoming. 8:45 is the amount of time between sunrise and sunset Aug 1 in Portland.
If you can do light dep for a couple months you could probably do so 14 week equatorial strain.
Botrytis is worse than PM for me here. I can't remember ever seeing PM on an outdoor plant in Oregon as a matter of fact. Have seen pounds and pounds of botrytis.
I bet there is a Trainwreck cross or maybe even the wreck itself that could help you pull a big harvest of really nice speedweed.
I killed it last summer growing Mkob Kush from Bradley Danks, but thats probably more of an indica leaning hybrid than you're after. I had 7 of 7 females all start up right around August 1 and hung them all up to dry right at the end of September.

The season for naturally flowering regular seeds outdoors here is so tight that to grow a real long flowering sativa is a hell of a challenge. I had a two sativa leaning hybrids last summer that started flowering Aug 1, nearly as early as they can go with deprivation and I took them in Oct 3 or so and they still could have filled in looks like 2 weeks more at least.
I think of Oct 1 as the normal date when you want to have your plants harvested by.
There are some hybrids around that do really well outdoors in the local climate. If you're growing inside over the winter you might even be able to get an idea which of your favorites might do well outside by putting them at 9/15 or even 8.5/15.5 from veg and seeing if any start blossoming. 8:45 is the amount of time between sunrise and sunset Aug 1 in Portland.
If you can do light dep for a couple months you could probably do so 14 week equatorial strain.
Botrytis is worse than PM for me here. I can't remember ever seeing PM on an outdoor plant in Oregon as a matter of fact. Have seen pounds and pounds of botrytis.
I bet there is a Trainwreck cross or maybe even the wreck itself that could help you pull a big harvest of really nice speedweed.
I killed it last summer growing Mkob Kush from Bradley Danks, but thats probably more of an indica leaning hybrid than you're after. I had 7 of 7 females all start up right around August 1 and hung them all up to dry right at the end of September.

Thanks PDX - That gives me something to work with. Appreciate your response.

EastFortRock

Oregon is all about where you live and the local micro climate. Our falls in Southern Oregon are drier than the Willamette valley , if I I were you, I would grow fast flowering hybrids. The comment about a Trainwreck cross for speedy weed seems pretty accurate in my experience. Personally I like couch-lock and I don’t really like my Trainwreck seed plant (not clone). Too speedy and no relaxed feeling as it wears off .

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Fridge Farmer, I have been running multiple strains each year outside/greenhouse. Looking for the strains with an early onset of flowering. There is very few genetics that I have run that will finish at 49N. In North Dakota a good September and October is crucial.
Oaxaca from Bohdi seeds finish properly. Lebanese and the Auto Malawi x Northern Lights from Ace seeds. I think the Honduras from Ace seeds would also finish properly in Oregon.
The Real Seed Company has multiple strains that will give the high you are looking for. (Lebanese, Highland Nepalese, Turkish, and Syria). Would all finish properly outside. I will be running two Highland Nepalese this season. I have threads at Ace forums, North Dakota in State by State and in the growing in greenhouses section of these forums. Please check out my albums. I have 2017 and 2018 albums still up. I removed my indoor albums a while back.
I hope this helps in some way.
Peace. MedDakotabis

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much Farmerlion

Fridge Farmer, I have been running multiple strains each year outside/greenhouse. Looking for the strains with an early onset of flowering. There is very few genetics that I have run that will finish at 49N. In North Dakota a good September and October is crucial.
Oaxaca from Bohdi seeds finish properly. Lebanese and the Auto Malawi x Northern Lights from Ace seeds. I think the Honduras from Ace seeds would also finish properly in Oregon.
The Real Seed Company has multiple strains that will give the high you are looking for. (Lebanese, Highland Nepalese, Turkish, and Syria). Would all finish properly outside. I will be running two Highland Nepalese this season. I have threads at Ace forums, North Dakota in State by State and in the growing in greenhouses section of these forums. Please check out my albums. I have 2017 and 2018 albums still up. I removed my indoor albums a while back.
Peace. MedDakotabis

PDX Dopesmoker

Peace. MedDakotabis

I've seen someone do pretty nicely in Oregon with what he was saying was Highland Oaxacan. Good call on that one.

squatty

I just picked up some Purple Satellite from Ace hoping it will do well.

I will attempt Nepalese Jam this year along with something from Oregon Green Seed. I also have The Real Seed company's Nanda Devi waiting.

Many people are not fans of Flash Seeds but I have had some luck with some of his super autos.

I grew Bangi Haze outdoor last year but it went way too long.