What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

After planting germinated seed in soil, when do you add light?!

iceyigloo

I would greatly appreciate any help with this first time grow.

I have pre-moistened my soil, and planted my seed in root down in a plain red plastic cup.
The root was this long ( ------ ) and I planted it in the soil just barely covering the top head of the seed.

- I was told to keep the cup in a warm, dark place and cover with saran wrap after dropping in the seed. This will make the seed shoot above soil, then wait until the leaves show and place under my 600 w MH light about 6 ft under. Is this the correct way to do this? Or do I put this seed directly under the light?! I currently have the cup covered with saran wrap and a next to a heater in a dark room..... should this be under light?

I can't figure this out and am reaching out in the forums as a last effort! Much much appreciated. I have some pictures of my setup.

IMG00020-20110916-2314.jpg

IMG00021-20110916-2314.jpg

IMG00018-20110916-1829.jpg

IMG00017-20110916-1829.jpg

clípz

What i have done with my seeds are, after putting them in soil is to add a small CFL light or T5 untill they have poped above the soil and got the first set of real leafs. Then i just change to a stronger CFL or MH in your case in order to veg them.

Cant say my method are the correct way or not but it have worked for me in the past.

MMJcali

put em under a daylight CFL right away.

its going to break out of the ground and go toward the light.

After the first 10 days under CFL, slowly introduce your HID light from a distance and move it closer little by little.

iceyigloo

I would greatly appreciate any help with this first time grow.

I have pre-moistened my soil, and planted my seed in root down in a plain red plastic cup.
The root was this long ( ------ ) and I planted it in the soil just barely covering the top head of the seed.

- I was told to keep the cup in a warm, dark place and cover with saran wrap after dropping in the seed. This will make the seed shoot above soil, then wait until the leaves show and place under my 600 w MH light about 6 ft under. Is this the correct way to do this? Or do I put this seed directly under the light?! I currently have the cup covered with saran wrap and a next to a heater in a dark room..... should this be under light?

I can't figure this out and am reaching out in the forums as a last effort! Much much appreciated. I have some pictures of my setup.
Sorry if I did not post in the right section! :laughing: IMG00020-20110916-2314.jpg

IMG00021-20110916-2314.jpg

IMG00017-20110916-1829.jpg

IMG00018-20110916-1829.jpg

iceyigloo

I don't have any CFL lighting.... only the 600 w MH .... maybe it would be ok to place far away from light and not directly under MMJCali ? Also I suppose keep the saran wrap on??

smokefrogg

Veteran
they should have some light right from the beginning, even before they pop out of the ground

you could put them in the farthest corner of your grow area and they'd be just fine

conehead

Hit it with fluro light or CLF straight away. for two to seven weeks at 18 to 24 hours a day. then turn lights cycle to 12 hours to flower the buds.:thank you::hide::tree:

iceyigloo

Thanks guys for the support.
Also I suppose keep the saran wrap on to trap humidity? This will be fine?

I moistened the soil pretty good, till it all came out the bottom of the cup and stopped dripping... waiting about 2 hours for the soil to dry a bit ... then I am going to plant the seed in root down.

This ok? :) ........... Wickd cool link smokefrog

Scrogerman

Veteran
add the light after they raise their heads & show the cotyledon, once their up theirs no further need for the same high humidity you used to germinate, so take wrap off then. a good RH for seedlings & veg would be around 60% relative humidity(RH). i presume you have a hygrometer. I use a heated propagator with stat for germing seeds(paper towel method/then into media of choice). as soon as their up i stick em under cfl's, after a week or so's growth i move them in under HID lamp, set it high as you said & wean them in, gradually moving light down over the coming couple of weeks to more optimal distance. Keep reading up n you'll be right. like ya set-up btw!
G'Luck!

Last edited:

iceyigloo

Thank you scrogerman!! I am proud of it, it took a pretty penny and vacation time to set it up! So much work!!! Now just trying to get these seeds to work...

So you would advise following the advice from this video, ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpwL_jUR00

I am planting a nice germinated seed with a great sprout tonight. So not directly under the light until it pops the surface? I guess i thought it needed light to do that.
ayYayaya...... some say right under light, some not.

You would cover and keep in dark spot with saran wrap... once above soil add the light, as in the video? I appreciate the confirmation in advance! Either way, thank every one very much!

Scrogerman

Veteran
yep, sounds right ill check the vid for you shortly, keep them covered & in a warm(not hot) dark place, very important you dont cook them at this stage. once the heads are up, then they require light. if your gonna use HID MH from the start(which i personally dont recommend), just be sure to set it high like you said, & wean them into intensity by dropping the light gradually over a couple of weeks like i said! should be fine man!
G'Luck man anytime!¬)

iceyigloo

Much thanks. Yes, check the video link.

That is basically what i have done now. Except instead of tin foil, i made a foofy saran wrap dome ( loosely covered) then covered that with a piece of paper to keep it dark and its in the bathroom w/ a heater on.

No light yet. :)

As soon as the seed breaks the soil the seedling will need light. 600 watts seems like a lot for a seedling. I use a cfl one inch away from the top until the seedling starts putting on its' second set of true leaves.

Superman23

Hey guys,

I only have a 250w MH and HPS bulb...

How should i germinate with those light? can i put the seeds under MH (far away)

Budley Doright

Veteran
add the light after they raise their heads & show the cotyledon, once their up theirs no further need for the same high humidity you used to germinate, so take wrap off then. a good RH for seedlings & veg would be around 60% relative humidity(RH). i presume you have a hygrometer. I use a heated propagator with stat for germing seeds(paper towel method/then into media of choice). as soon as their up i stick em under cfl's, after a week or so's growth i move them in under HID lamp, set it high as you said & wean them in, gradually moving light down over the coming couple of weeks to more optimal distance. Keep reading up n you'll be right. like ya set-up btw!
G'Luck!

Here is how I look at this issue....

When a seed sprouts it will normally form like a hook shape.... this is the plants way of protecting the first set of leaves from too much light.....

Over a day or two the plant will loose the hook shape and point upwards..... this is presumably the period the plant is acclimating the leaves to a light source....

IMO its probably better to expose the plant to light while in the leaves down period so the leaves are acclimated before full exposure to the light....

Light during germination is fine but could cause the soil to dry out killing the seed....

Useful Idiot

Veteran
Hey there Icey, I am impressed with your setup for this being your first grow.Seems like you are headed down the right path. K+ to ya bud, and your future buds. Also welcome to ICMAG. There are some awsome folks here with tons of knowledge and insight. You have come to the right place. Wishing you nothing but the best!!:tiphat:

iceyigloo

Burnt rope and Useful Idiot, thanks :). It seems like there is no set rule as to how to get a sprout above soil once germinated, so for right now I am following Scrogerman 's advise.

Useful idiot, thanks I sincerely appreciate that and the vote of confidence. I figured might as well do it big and go in for the best stuff. Expect the best results and usually you will get them! I've taken a heck of a lot of personal and work time to get the setup goin' and ready! :)

This is the best forum I have found so far and heck yea' all folks here so far seem great and have provided some great knowledge and most importantly their time to make an intelligent reply. Tnk U. I look forward to posting success and journaling my grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts