What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed is the only plant that has succeeded...

dybert

It can cause physical dependence, complete with withdrawal symptoms.
Harvard Medical School has many studies going back 20 years on this.

I call bullshit on this. I am a heavy user and have stopped cold turkey for 2 weeks before. ZERO physical symptoms. ZERO.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It is important to note that others do have symptoms beyond anecdotal accounts.
I've found it's generally because they're suffering from issues they're unaware of. It's the change between "issues being taken care of" and suddenly not which has been the main point of confusion. Once you're aware of which issues cannabis was alleviating, the change from medicated to not isn't something you'd call 'withdrawals.'

It's all about understanding things in context. The combination of people and cannabis is a rather complex context. :)

CaptainDankness

I call bullshit on this. I am a heavy user and have stopped cold turkey for 2 weeks before. ZERO physical symptoms. ZERO.

Only symptom I've ever had from not smoking weed for a few weeks is crazy dreams. Not that it was a bad thing, kind of cool really almost like tripping only more vivid. Lol

Gry

Veteran
Pretty difficult for someone to accurately assess that which they have yet to experience.

I wonder to what extent the friends perspective would shift, were he to to have cancer that would require an extended period on strong opiates.

St. Phatty

What about Algae ?

There's forms of algae that excrete substances that are useful as fuel.

So now there's scientists & techies growing algae everywhere.

Palm oil too.

Wouldn't want to be a Fern though. All they do is look pretty. A lot of ferns being cut down to make way for palm oil plantations.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
... I smoked daily for 20 years or so, these days not so much, been high 5 or 6 times in 2018. It's not that addictive, some people are just wired that way. I have a pal who was a massive toker, drank a lot of coffee and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day. Then quit em all. Guess which one he said was the easiest habit to kick? Not to mention he's still addicted to beer and cheeseburgers, but 3 outta 5 ain't bad :) If you get a kick outta smoking weed, have at it.

Hmmm...
I was a mainlining tweaker, supplementing with coke, for a year or two. Had Rum for breakfast and dinner for another year or so. Drank five coffees a day and smoked Camels and cannabis for decades. Morphine four times a day for ten years.

Stints in jail would cause all this to end for up to a year at a time. Four years total jail time versus 40 years using various drugs.

Coffee. Cannabis was second to coffee in what was missed and what was immediately binged upon every release.

Opiates were forgotten within a few days, meth and coke in a week or so, whiskey in a day or two. Cigarettes did not give me physical problems at all when stopped, none.

But coffee I missed all day every day for the entire time it was not available, just over a year in one case, months in many others. The wanting never lessened with time.
Marijuana was close to that, I thought about it almost daily.

Addiction? My definition must be off, addiction means I HAVE to have an item, otherwise it is quality of life issue.

I have many issues, but marijuana addiction is not one of them.