What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis made honey?

BigJohnny

Really not sure where to post this but I'm really just curious if it's been done and with what result.

What would be the result of setting up a growroom and throwing in a beekeeping hive allowing the bees to produce honey from nothing but cannabis plants?

Would the honey have any level of THC/CBD or anything? Or would it just be regular honey made from a specific plant?

angelgoob

I hate to be unhelpful, but how cool would it be to protect your grow with thousands of bees?

Get 'em boys!

I got a stick of THC honey-infused and used them. A little way left and I gave it to a dying wasp.

To help you, I think you need to TRAIN the bees. I don't think they do it automatically.

BigJohnny

I know nothing of beekeeping man, nothing except bees live in a box.

Wouldn't they naturally want to pollinate the plants? How the hell would you even train a bee?

Easy7

Veteran
Honey is made from pollen, not hash. So no there would be no cannabinoids or terps.

Suppose there is a nitch market for cannabis pollen. You would grow males and keep bee's in the area. Never seen bee's mess with males myself so maybe somebody would know more.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering the same but I would use a gh filled with males as their pollen source.

Bees can't use female plants for making honey.

MrBungle

Bees don't get trained they follow their queen.... They have been using bees to protect crops for a long time in africa and india..... elephants will destroy crops... so they hang africanized bees around their crops.... they are fiercely protective of their hives so any large animal will avoid the area... and they spread the pollen and increase yields over all...

I actually learned about how Indian farmers made honey with cannabis before I even learned to grow...

shithawk420

Veteran
Certified beekeeper here.not a very good one.only had one apiary but I'll explain later.been up all night.I don't know if your being funny or not goob,but you can't train bees.lol

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I was really curious so I googled it. Some guy in France claims he trained the bees to gather up the resin. Since this is such a new thing no one has tested any honey to see how much THC etc. has made it into the honey. Lots of people have been infusing various herbals (including Cannabis) into various tinctures and potions.

shithawk420

Veteran
There's no way it's true.honey is made by bees putting nectar in their stomach and regurgitating it.weed doesn't have nectar

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I know nothing of beekeeping man, nothing except bees live in a box.

Wouldn't they naturally want to pollinate the plants? How the hell would you even train a bee?
Bees are attracted to flowery plants (including flowering trees) and spread the pollen in a limited area, propagating the plants. Marijuana has no bee attractants and uses wind pollination over larger areas than bees are able to cover.
When running the bud room without fresh air intake filters the buds became contaminated with dead insects. The sticky resins on the hairs and trichomes traps bugs large enough to fly. Lower buds would have up to fifty fungus gnat and other moist dirt loving flyer carcasses per bud. Powerful incentive for insect control.

This stickiness and MJ's unique odor discourages honey bees from visiting.
Baldfaced Wasps are not honey bees.
Carnivorous wasps hover throughout the canopies, snatching meals made of small spiders, crawlers, hoppers, and larvae living in the leaves. Good bees if treated with respect.

angelgoob

It's pretty simple. You wax the plant with rose petal extracts.

Damn I am good. And it's that simple.

You need the organic, vegan oil in you.

Bees eat it. So do you. You're like a bee in that regard. Peace.

angelgoob

I had supposed cucumber beetles on my cucumber plants and I think wasps took them out.

Lots of wasps.

By the way, did you know wasps eat butterflies and piss excellence?

They also never really sleep. They remain in a semi-alert state called torpor.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wasps are pretty interesting to watch.

Mud daubers (all black) are the spiders enemy in my location.

Bald Faced hornets are neat but aggressive as funk! I did some work for a gal that had a nest right by her front door. Talk about a fiasco!

angelgoob

yes they are! the bald ones.

coz they're bald.

No, they're really cool.

There's a more aggressive one even that postures when you get close. Maroon and yellows.

igrowone

Veteran
there was a freak brother cartoon about this very situation
phineas put a beehive in his greenhouse, the boys planned on getting a batch of honeywana at the end of the season
but it was not be, the greenhouse was ripped off
the bees were all stoned and too mellow to protect the turf

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I discuss this a bunch with the guy I am learning beekeeping from. The best we came up with would be to have a garden of flowering male plant in path from the hive to outdoors. Forcing them to pick up cannabis pollon. Cannabis spreads pollon by wind so bee do not naturally choose cannabis but any pollon they pick up would be by luck. And no cannabinoids would transfer to the honey. Then if you wanted to advertise it as cannabis honey it would need to be lab tested to prove it had a certain percentage of cannabis pollon. Any honey you see advertised as almond, orange blossom, star thistle, clover and etc. has been tested to show its is primarily the pollon advertised.
So it is essential a good novelty idea. Possible some nutritional benefits, certain pollon does contribute some vitamins and minerals but I have no idea what cannabis pollons nutritional value is.
I still think it is a neat idea.
If you live near michigan and want to grow and flower hundreds of males I would try to get you bees. And I would even like to use the stankiest males we find.

WishDoctor

OSU certified Oregon Master Beekeeper here, lots of complete bs and mis information here on Honey Bees.

we are doing the whole hemp pollen gig here in or and in co.
we make cbd honey sticks and more.
have fun kids.

G

Gr33nSanta

In my opinion and from what I have read, bees can feed off of cannabis pollen, you would need open field with 50 - 50 male female and the bees could survive well off of cannabis plants alone for a month or 2 of the year. Thoughts?