What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Causing Runny Nose? Post Nasal Drip?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Maybe im a weirdo? Im not sure, I just want answers...

Something I noticed the last few years while smoking BHO is that I get an instant runny nose after I take a hit....

Its not like a normal runny nose where it comes out slow. Once I feel it running, I have about 10 seconds before it starts dripping out like a bloody nose...

Happens just about every single hit, I take at least a dozen dabs a day...

BUT having my recovery pump being repaired, I started dabbing rosin for the past several weeks and noticed almost zero nose drip..

Last night I started dabbing BHO again and got an instant runny nose. Even continued to this morning...

Anyone have a clue whats going on?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can testify that I keep a roll of paper towels beside my electric nail, and my sinuses always drain when I smoke or dab. I have ASSumed because the vapors insult my sinuses, just as some of the monoterpenes with expectorant qualities, assault my lungs.

I don't remember relief with rosin, but Carla and I are researching the process, and I'll take special note and report. So far I've just noticed different effects.

For what it's worth, my nose has run my whole life and has gotten worse since moving from OKC to Rip City in the "winter of 65", in a 55 Chev loaded with all of our belongings, in addition to my first wife of three, and mother in law. Mostly uphill all the way, so could be the elevation and rarified atmosphere.......

Old Gold

Ha! I was about to post this exact same thing last night!! If I get wheezy/congested from dealing with lots of plant matter and pollen, a well-winterized and/or terpy dab gets my sinuses clear too, and usually I sneeze once or twice, which helps tremendously with the wheeze. Only non-dewaxed dabs make me wheeze - otherwise I agree that terpenes (and maybe even thc) act as expectorants.

I don't get it with everything, but definitely minty/piney flavors, as well as sour strains. Residual solvents in general will tingle my nose, so high terpene content could surely do the same thing

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I can testify that I keep a roll of paper towels beside my electric nail, and my sinuses always drain when I smoke or dab. I have ASSumed because the vapors insult my sinuses, just as some of the monoterpenes with expectorant qualities, assault my lungs.

I don't remember relief with rosin, but Carla and I are researching the process, and I'll take special note and report. So far I've just noticed different effects.

For what it's worth, my nose has run my whole life and has gotten worse since moving from OKC to Rip City in the "winter of 65", in a 55 Chev loaded with all of our belongings, in addition to my first wife of three, and mother in law. Mostly uphill all the way, so could be the elevation and rarified atmosphere.......

Ha! I was about to post this exact same thing last night!! If I get wheezy/congested from dealing with lots of plant matter and pollen, a well-winterized and/or terpy dab gets my sinuses clear too, and usually I sneeze once or twice, which helps tremendously with the wheeze. Only non-dewaxed dabs make me wheeze - otherwise I agree that terpenes (and maybe even thc) act as expectorants.

I don't get it with everything, but definitely minty/piney flavors, as well as sour strains. Residual solvents in general will tingle my nose, so high terpene content could surely do the same thing

And here I thought I was a weirdo. im glad other people experience the same thing, been tripping me out for a few years!

Hmmm, on the non-waxed oil. Thats what I consume mostly...

Time to experiment with different hash...

The rosin ive been consuming the last several weeks is made from full melt hash, I would assume its chalked full of fats and lipids...

Old Gold

The rosin ive been consuming the last several weeks is made from full melt hash, I would assume its chalked full of fats and lipids...

And full of terpenes probably, so I doubt that's the sole explanation.
Some seriously pineapple'd co2 oil I've tried a few times made my lungs collapse upon inhalation, followed by a sneezing attack and runny rose.

TerpChild

I have the same issue. Dabs make my nose run like crazy. I just blow my nose after every dab now, but i still get some post nasal drip throughout the day as i dab away! So nobody is crazy, we all experience this to some degree or another.

prune

Veteran
Well guys the sweet explanation is Gustatory Rhinitis, it's a normal reaction to "spicy" foods. otherwise it's nose cancer from butane or some hyper-nosamatic reaction...

PDX Dopesmoker

Smoking rosin this morning I noticed that the cottonmouth effect kinda cures this problem about 20 minutes after you start smoking. I've occasionally dayreamed of having a cottonmouth free extract or strain, maybe its not as good an idea as I thought.

Pangea

Veteran
I dont have this reaction, just have to clear the sinuses out in the morning.

Anyone else with this problem not over 45 - 50 years old? :D

cyat

Veteran
The size of dabs I saw you do was ginormous, not surprised . Sorry to hear though

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Pot is a potent bronchial dilator and my assumption has been the increased surface area of the affected mucus membranes secreted more fluid in direct relation to the dilation.

I have produced some very potent water cured buds in the 40% THC range and the same runny nose effect happens. No petroleum in any form, just water extracting everything but THC and wax.
The vapors will ignite in the steamroller if care is not taken with the lighter as well, another similarity to oil extract.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^watch out for flash fires in your lungs!

I've experienced runny nose on occasion but it's not normal for me.

Maybe it's related to a specific terp or set of terps.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Autonomic nervous system response to sudden unfiltered sensory input, best shouldered by 'doing the dab.' :laughing:

Sunlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bparw9Jo3dk

I still experience shut eyes/tears when dabbing pure THC-A crystals, if rosin doesn't bring it, is it still dabbing? :biggrin:

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
a567370cbbec_sf_8.jpg