What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reputation definition

mufinman

what do the little green or gray little boxes to the left of 'reputation' responses mean? and I thought when clicking the post in 'rep' that it takes you to the post that rep was added from... but not always. y-dat? been here for years and just starting to see some of these things..:tiphat:

is there a sticky somewhere with all these definitions somewhere? if not there should be one. at least in the FAQs.

mufinman

Read the FAQ, now AH wants to know what makes someone not able to give positive rep? I see one member givin me rep, has a handle but I get 'neutral' rep.
don't really care about rep. smashed in the AM and just have to ask.
thanks again.:tiphat::tiphat:

Genghis Kush

is there away to see all the reputation you have been given in the past from the very start?

or does it get erased after it gets to the bottom of the page?

aloha

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Pretty sure its earased when it gets to the bottom of the page.

To the OP, if you get rep and the comment box is blank it is because someone gave you rep from their phone or device that will not allow a comment. If anyone gets rep from me the box will be blank. My phone does not allow me to type in the comment box.

idiit

Veteran
I think it should be called "thumbs up" instead of rep. I consider my rep points to be thumbs up points. the whole rep thang opens up a can of worms imo......

A few more questions about this whole rep thing

A few more questions about this whole rep thing

I have a few more questions about how reputation works.

1) If I click yes to the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Did you find this post helpful?", is that the same as adding to the users reputation via the balance symbol on the left hand side of the post? In other words, does it appear in their latest reputation received list as a "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Helpful Answer Positive Rating" ?

2) What do the green and yellow boxes mean below the post count of a users post? Does the yellow have a different value to the green, and is there other colours possible?

[/FONT]

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I have a few more questions about how reputation works.

1) If I click yes to the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Did you find this post helpful?", is that the same as adding to the users reputation via the balance symbol on the left hand side of the post? In other words, does it appear in their latest reputation received list as a "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Helpful Answer Positive Rating" ?

2) What do the green and yellow boxes mean below the post count of a users post? Does the yellow have a different value to the green, and is there other colours possible?

[/FONT]

When you give rep to someone, or find their post helpful, you will add points to their reputation, which count towards the green and yellow boxes. More points = more boxes. They start green, and when you get enough points, the yellows will start to come. 5 green and 6 yellow is max boxes.
Different colors, i think, are just a way to see the difference. Would be hard to make out if a guy has nine or ten boxes if they were all one color. Not that internet rep matters much, but there u go..

Anyways, if u'r a new member with few posts, your rep and/or helpful post thingy will show up grey on the receiving end, and will not give or take out any points. This changes after you reach a certain amount of posts and time as a member of the forum. Until then it's more of a "it's the thought that counts" thing.

Could be wrong, but i at some point i think it was a year of membership and a whopping thousand posts before your rep actually turns green/red and gives or deducts points from the dude u'r giving it to. Also the points you give when doling out rep increase with time and by your rep-points. So someone who registered on day 1 and has like a million rep points, will give out more points repping, than a dude who registered in 2015 and has 3000 points.

As far as i know, only other option besides green and yellow, is red. But if u go red, u'r a bad bad boy, and u'r getting more negative rep than positive. Most of those guys don't last long, unless u'r Clarence.

Hope this helps and wasn't too rambly, been a long day and need some sleep :tiphat:

One thing i like about leaving actual rep instead of the helpful post thingy, is that you can leave a little message for the receiver to read :)

Skip

Veteran
Could be wrong, but i at some point i think it was a year of membership and a whopping thousand posts before your rep actually turns green/red and gives or deducts points from the dude u'r giving it to.
That gets you senior membership, nothing to do with rep points. Rep points don't affect your usergroup.

More info here

W

Whoscottgreen

I'll be here for a decade or more trying to get to 1000 posts!

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
I'm trying to find that post/thread that detailed the rep "titles" that show when you hover over a user's rep icons.
Like mine: "Saibai is just really nice", "X has a long way to go", "X is a survivor" etc.
I always dug that extra touch.