What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get material bone dry before running

TNEx

I looked all over and couldn't find much info on this .

How do you dry out your material before running ? And how dry do you get it ? Up till now Ive been puttting the material (trim, nugs , whatever) in totes then putting them in a small room with a dehum . The only problem is it gets quite hot from the exhaust . I was thinking about building a stand alone room with a fan that vents it .A dry box if you will..

How are YOU doing this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

oldchuck

Veteran
You need to decarb the weed before you run it anyway. I just stick it in a low oven for a half hour or so, using the decarb chart. That dries out cured weed well enough for me.

BigJohnny

You need to decarb the weed before you run it anyway. I just stick it in a low oven for a half hour or so, using the decarb chart. That dries out cured weed well enough for me.

lolwut? Why would you decarb it before running it unless you wanted straight up oil as the end result?

pusbag

Drying material

Drying material

I use a freezer with a little heater in it, I then can control temperature and humidity to a certain degree. I can usually keep material under 70°F & around 15% humidity. This preserves terps and gets product dry. Then flood extractor with nitrogen to fully dry product right before extraction.

oldchuck

Veteran
Ah, okay, I get it. You guys are making stuff for dabs which will decarb when you inhale in in your rigs because you heat it. I don't. I don't like dabbing. I make an ethanol concentrate that I use as a spray under my tongue which does need to be decarbed before use. This is how I control my seizures.

Gtir

I leave material spread out on a tarp in the garage w a large dehumidifier running overnight

TNEx

Why would I decarb it? I'm making honeycomb and shatter .. Maybe I should have mentioned that?

TNEx

Also probably worth mentioning I live near the coast so it's moister than up on the hill or inland

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on the end product desired, but overall, I prefer to extract mine when it still has moisture and monoterpenes left, so pull off all the fan leaves and hang the rest of the plant in the basement until the small stems snap, about 5 days in these parts.

I decarboxylate after extraction, if it needs to be decarboxylated for oral application.

TNEx

Depends on the end product desired, but overall, I prefer to extract mine when it still has moisture and monoterpenes left, so pull off all the fan leaves and hang the rest of the plant in the basement until the small stems snap, about 5 days in these parts.

I decarboxylate after extraction, if it needs to be decarboxylated for oral application.

Would the same care and prep be given to sugar trim?

lotus710

No heat used just room temp. I also agree with gray wolf on the extracting with some moisture. Gives a much better taste:)

oldchuck

Veteran
Why would I decarb it? I'm making honeycomb and shatter .. Maybe I should have mentioned that?

I get it. I get it. See my second post above.

I've started trying a new thing. Breaks all the pro rules. But then I am a simple kitchen cooker. I've been taking a few buds, decarbing, and then dropping them into a pint or so of vodka. Let it brew for a week or so and that's it. A couple of Cannacocktails for my late night relaxation and I sleep like a baby.

Latest posts

Latest posts