What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

dddaver

Veteran
Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

BGR News

Zach EpsteinJuly 31, 2015

windows-10-1.jpg
windows-10-1

Windows 10 is amazing. Windows 10 is fantastic. Windows 10 is glorious. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any Windows operating system that has come before it. Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been, addressing nearly all of the major problems users had with Microsoft’s previous-generation platform in one fell swoop.
But there’s something you should know: As you read this article from your newly upgraded PC, Windows 10 is also spying on nearly everything you do.
DON’T MISS: Windows 10: The first 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it
It’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you. That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document, right?
Well, here is Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement. Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.
Actually, here’s one excerpt from Microsoft’s terms of use that everyone can understand:
We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
If that sentence sent shudders down your spine, don’t worry. As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution.
Rock Paper Shotgun has broken things down into four main bullet points that will guide you through regaining control of your personal data.
READ MORE: 5 common problems people are having with Windows 10 – and how to fix them
First, you’ll want to open Settings and click on Privacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying. The blog notes that most of the important settings can be found on the General tab, though other tabs are important as well. For example, you’ll definitely want to adjust what types of data each app on your system can access.
Next, users should consider dumping Cortana. Yes, the voice-driven assistant is easily one of the best new features in Windows 10, but it also plays fast and loose with your data. As a result, many users will find that the benefits do not outweigh the risks.
For the third task, you’ll have to venture outside the confines of your PC and hit the web. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to check out Microsoft’s nifty new Edge browser. In it, click on this link and set both “Personalised ads in this browser” and “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” to off. This will disable Microsoft’s Google-style ad tracking features.
The last tip is one that most users will likely forgo, as it is a bit excessive. Rock Paper Shotgun recommends removing your Microsoft account from Windows 10 completely and using a newly made local account instead. This way, Microsoft doesn’t grab hold of all your data to sync it across machines. To us that’s a great and useful feature, but if you want to kill it just follow the link below in our source section for complete instructions and plenty more details.

MUST-READ: Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu – here’s how to customize it

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-spying-almost-everything-opt-130502898.html

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
just say no to the upgrade...I got 8.1 that's enough for me...everytime I upgrade I go through hell with programs and crashes...I have lots of software gps and maps and stuff for my laptop to hook to car.. I am not upgrading to 10 unless my laptop dies and the new one has it on it already...yeehaw

Skip

Veteran
just say no to the upgrade...I got 8.1 that's enough for me...everytime I upgrade I go through hell with programs and crashes...I have lots of software gps and maps and stuff for my laptop to hook to car.. I am not upgrading to 10 unless my laptop dies and the new one has it on it already...yeehaw
My upgrade from 8.1 went smoothly. From Win 7, that's another story. Another computer I'd upgraded from Vista to 8.1 wouldn't allow the upgrade to 10. That was very disappointing.

Fortunately, windows did ask for permissions for Cortana to access personal data and location before using it. So it was easy to decline, even though I'd like to try it!

I did review all the program permissions, but hadn't checked the privacy stuff yet. Will do that next.

So far I'm very impressed with Win 10, speed wise, look, compatibility - so far everything runs as before under 8.1

So glad NOT to have that damn METRO screen anymore!

Also nice the upgrade is FREE! But with the caveats mentioned by the OP about privacy.

amanda88

Thanks for the heads up Skip, but I'm like much of this membership....moving to some other O/S in the near future, ...apparently a 'Mackintosh' O/S on a windows machine is called a 'Hackintosh'? ...lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
getting to 8.1 was bad enough.. had a bunch of issues.. I got the 10 logo wanting me to upgrade but Norton hadn't done a patch yet..i think I will pass on the upgrade..took me longass time last upgrade to fix things..its still in my mind fresh errrrrrrrrr...yeehaw...Microsoft is phasing out internet explorer and wants peep to upgrade use the new stuff...I figure by the time its windows 12 I will have windows 10

dddaver

Veteran
I had second thoughts about posting that article here. Maybe it should have gone in the security section. If you want to move it Skip, cool.

I use Linux OS myself mostly now anyway. I am used to Ubuntu by now. It does take some getting used to though. But WAY more secure than MS.

I have been able to do anything with Linux, that a Windows OS could ever do. I even set up a wireless Epson All-in-one printer on my Ubuntu OS just this week and got everything to work just fine, no problem. It is open source and there is plenty of excellent support for Ubuntu.

The disk that came with the printer is just Windows specific and just easier to use in Windows is all. So instead of just putting the disk in and then choosing stuff I had to download the drivers from the Epson site. Big deal. Getting a Mac to work with that printer would be similar procedure anyway, just not so automatic.

That seems to be the Windows big claim to fame. Make it all easier. Not better. Not safer, just the opposite in fact.

I do have Win 7 on another laptop along with a Linux Mint copy that I tried out. I'm planning on waiting few months at least to upgrade it to 10. Maybe some glitches in 10 might be worked out by then, is my thinking. I think I have a year to upgrade.

I have read you can no longer choose when to download the security updates on 10 though. It just does it constantly. Is that true? Because that could be a problem for me, and a whole lot of folks. Us rural dudes don't cotton to that. Plus my inner control freak comes out. I need to maintain control. :biggrin:

amanda88

Dave in your opinion, whats the best for a noob, Ubuntu or linux, I've tried Linux, and was very easy to get around, but the horror is trying to get Linux up and running with windows drivers is too much, I yet to sample Ubuntu

Red146

Peppermint linux is awesome for a beginner my all time favorite atm is Elementary linux,very polished and flawless for a noob :)

dddaver

Veteran
Dave in your opinion, whats the best for a noob, Ubuntu or linux, I've tried Linux, and was very easy to get around, but the horror is trying to get Linux up and running with windows drivers is too much, I yet to sample Ubuntu

Sorry it took so long to get back. Your question's a little confusing Amanda because Ubuntu is just one of the versions in the Linux lineup of operating systems (OS). I myself just prefer that one and I think it might be the most widely used too by Linux freaks. Seems pretty popular anyway.

I like the price too, free, at www.ubuntu.com. It's a rather large download though, might be almost a GB by now. Maybe even more. So what you do is download it to your hard drive then write it onto a DVD. Then load the DVD and you're off to the races. Ubuntu even comes with office type software including a word processor, and comes with Firefox too. I think it is mega cool after being abused by MS and Apple for so long.

But there are other versions like Red indicated. Mint is set up more like Windows so some people like that version. And Red suggests Peppermint, that one sounds good too.

ill do the upgrade.. the windows 8.1 and 10.. are so alike.. there shouldn't be much of ANY issues with programs/software.. or hardware problems..

shithawk420

Veteran
An IT genius told me to stay away from 8 and 10.well i recently bought a new ASUS laptop with 10.the price was right so i bought it.i really dont like 10.it almost forces you to do certain things like updates if you dont turn it off.im not a fan.i might get linux or even go back to 7

DemonTrich

Veteran
Those fvckers tried to download it automatically. I refused to click the accept box, and then it reverted back to my old windows platform. Fvck windows 10.

dddaver

Veteran
I use Linux Mint-Cinnamon. Everyday. When you download it, burn the DVD, then load it, you are asked if you want to dual boot. I did. The computer asks what OS you want to boot up at start-up. I still have in 7 too but hardly ever use it. Linux rocks. No virus checker on it either. Very rare.

switching to UNIX this summer -looking forward to it, hate having to download avast just to disable it to shut down their spyware ass "anti-virus"

updates - are a joke you can't disable them permanently it's total bs

Latest posts

Latest posts