What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dyna gro… is it really the best?

A

acridlab

i would like to start this thread for homebrewer.. so he has somewhere to go, instead of trashing any other thread, about anything other than dynagro.. so,, any input on these nutrients???

Izoc666

It's not necessarily best but it's pretty darn good and good price as well.

This alone bottle have contain all essential mineral elements and If you're interesting to add Pro Tekt for Si then you will have a complete nutrition.

It's better than most overpriced or overhyped nutrient that specific canna. I've use this DG products for several years now and I don't see many deficient.

I'm soilless guy and I only use Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt from start to finish. I know some growers use DG"s GROW in hydro , alone on that bottle from start to finish too. Homebrewer is more experienced in Hydro, he will give more accurate information regard hydro.

Hopefully he will chime in soon.

nuskool89

not exactly the best but damn good for the cost. Pro tekt is a solid product and concentrated compared to botanicare

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like their cold pressed neem oil and KLN root stimulator

Yeah your gonna find a lot of people that will vouch for many of their products, especially at the cost.

Keep in mind Dyna Gro has never really purposely geared itself towards marijuana but their lineup has made it there...

As Greyskull said, their KLN root stimulator is GREAT and cheap as hell compared to many alternatives out there.
Their Neem Oil...also super cheap and apparently quality Neem oil (I've used it but have no way to compare)....
Pro-tekt has become pretty standard for most of us who use a Silica
Never tried Foilage Pro ...
I think they have a Mag Pro cal mag suppliment, but I've never used it....

And as for Dyna Gro Bloom, I've used it successfully for many grows as a super cheap, all in one base nute without seeing deficiencies in coco. I recently switched to the veg and bloom dirty to see what they hype was about, and while that's going OK so far, my PH is constantly on the rise with that stuff and it leaves a sediment behind in the res, making me weary of using it (even in small doses) in my aerocloner.

I found growing with Dyna Gro easier than Gen Hydro/Lucas/Head 6/9, easier then all of the A and B type things where you have to guestimate how much of each you'd need to get you up to your desired EC, very stable Ph, overall very easy to use and effective. I can't do comparisons as to taste or resin production A vs B, and for me each grow goes differently so it wouldn't be a fair comparison, but I've never had complaints about any weed I've grown with Dyna Gro.

Sometimes towards the end of a bottle of Dyna-Grow some solid flakes form on the bottom of the bottle, but I've just always strained the liquid through that and have been fine.

At this point, unless I end up seeing some incredible increase in yield or resin production in veg + bloom dirty, I'll probably be returning to Dyna Gro once I run through my stock of veg + bloom.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Simple Green, they actually do affiliate themselves with marijuana, they have their own youtube channel with literally what they call there cannabis formula for success.
Anyway, these nutes do excel in many aspects, and there are actually 5 different base nutrient formulas to fit most any growing situation. Most people only know of the 3 most common base varieties. Seems the sediment in the bottles usually comes from a few things, age of nutes, temp of storage, and not shaking well before each use. I could ramble on about them but not gonna, all I can say is that they work!

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i like the idea of a one part base for flowering.
its great even if im using more parts when i just need to add a point or two of balanced feed for ec topping off.
also for house sitters.
it works and is simple and if someone is watching the grow for a week its a fine simple thing to have them use without overwhelming them with an 8 bottle line up.
quick question.
which feed works best
he recomends foliage pro from cloneling to death.
whats yalls take.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Is it the BEST? is there such a thing, one nute that is clearly better than all other nutes?
It's solid, I used the one part all pro for both veg and bloom, ph was stable in the 6's (added a bit of ph down, not much), fewer mg deficiencies that i was getting with GH maxibloom, another one part nute that is popular with growers.
you could do a lot worse than dynagro nutes. if you want organic or vegan medicine and believe you can discern when it is not, then you may want to go with organic nutes (GH Organics line produces good results, but theres others).

i would like to start this thread for homebrewer.. so he has somewhere to go, instead of trashing any other thread, about anything other than dynagro.. so,, any input on these nutrients???

Homebrewer is not biased towards other products as he used advanced nutrients and general hydroponics before DG.

Dyna-Gro Has been aruond since 1984 and has since developed one of the best fertilizer/s.

They have all 16 essentials and good NPK ratios. Foliage Pro is 3-1-2 and Bloom is 1-3-2.

It cost around 13$ for a quart which should last a good while, it's powerful stuff.

There is no "best" fertilizer IMO.

But for 26$ for a quart of FP/Bloom Grow/Bloom your choice, it's pretty darn good stuff.

There are so many fert programs from 1 part to 10 parts of crap.

To sum it up, DG is noob friendly, it can be used in soil, coco, inert media and substrates, hydro, doesn't cost much, has great plant nutrition and anyone should be able to have success with the basics.

I much rather recommend DG veg/bloom then most of the "expert" kits out there.

Is is the best? no.

Does it work with great results? yes.

Here is a dutch passion blueberry clone that was fed nothing but Foliage pro and Bloom.

I'm not a huge fan of taking pics, don't really have a camera, but you get the idea.

Promix, vegged with maybe 1-2ML a gallon or foliage pro in tap water

Bloom - used different formula's like 1 ML FP and 2-3ML bloom per gallon.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

hopefullinn.y.

do you mix them according to the bottle 1/4-1/2 tsp to a gallon of water..do you use the grow/bloom/protekt all through the grow from veg thru bloom? i am new to dyna gro and growing period..any help/info would be appreciated.

Z

Ziggaro

do you mix them according to the bottle 1/4-1/2 tsp to a gallon of water..do you use the grow/bloom/protekt all through the grow from veg thru bloom? i am new to dyna gro and growing period..any help/info would be appreciated.

Sounds about right but I'd probably start even less if the plants are small or your soil has food in it.
Actually I'd go with the foliage pro and protekt if you didn't buy yet. Those ratios on the grow and bloom are kinda wacky and none of these products contain much calcium, either. I'd also get some calimagic or some kind of calmag if you are using RO water. If you are using tap water, look at your water report and try to determine if they're going to get enough (or too much) and if the water is even suitable for growing (mine isn't).

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
I've tried a lot of nutes in my time. IMO, DG is the best product I've used. Very easy, clean, and straight to the point. You could get away using the bloom/pro tekt, and you're good. The price is very reasonable to...Hope this helps

OG

I wish I had more experience with their line. I'm staying tuned to hear more opinions. I was prepared to go the K.I.S.S. route, but see debates going on all the time about it. Not much debating on DG. They're kind of local to me too. I wonder if I could go the warehouse and buy in bulk?

Oh... where the heck is HomeBrewer? I figured a thread with DG in the title would have gotten his attention. Hahahaha

LH

EastCoast710

lets see some side by sides.. or even just pics of some plants grown with it...

I heard the lab tests on the material grown with it was great.. but iuno we need another nute company SIDE BY SIDE.. with lab testing of buds for everything.

Homebrewer

Veteran
lets see some side by sides.. or even just pics of some plants grown with it...

I heard the lab tests on the material grown with it was great.. but iuno we need another nute company SIDE BY SIDE.. with lab testing of buds for everything.

I've done several side-by-sides and every plant grown in my albums was with DG. I happen to like their mineral ratios and the ease of use but there are a lot of options out there. Do your own tests and figure out what works best in your garden.

Jack's

Jack's

I've always been a fan of Jack's hydro (5-12-26) and the jack's calcium nitrate (15-0-0). I believe it breaks down to 3-1-4.

I've never had any deficiencies (using RO water) and I do not need to pH the solution afterwards either. I then use Pro-Tekt on non-feeding days.

IIRC, the cost broke down to $.09 per gallon or somewhere around there when you buy the big bags.

mackdx

I just moved from H&G Cocos to Dyna Gro and have been very happy so far. Easy to use, pretty pH stable, and plants seem to love it.