What's new

Cannabis Perfume? Medicinal Qualities?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Heyas! :tiphat:

Found an ancient perfume recipe that was reserved for the ruling class in Egypt that includes "25 grammes de aromatic calamus".

Is this another translation issue? Do they mean cannabis concentrate here?

Was wondering if anyone had the means to make it and test medicinal properties of it against Holy Anointing Oil?

Recipe from this site here perfumeshrine.blogspot.com:
perfumeshrine.blogspot.com said:
Another sacred perfume has been discovered by archeologists on the walls of the Ptolemaic temple of Edfu, in the valley of the Nile at Louxor. Based on styrax extract, it was reserved for assuaging the ancient deities of Egypt. The long preparation demanded at least 6 months for the ingredients to mature properly!

The formula included:

- 0,575 litre of carob sugar (Ceratonia siliqua)

- 1010 grams of dry frankincense

- 600 grams of styrax

- 25 grammes de aromatic calamus (Acorus calamus L.)*

- 10 grams of lentisque (mastic) resin

- 15 grams of violet grains

- 0,5 litre of mixed wine and water

*It's interesting to note that although calamus is also referenced in the Bible (Exodus 30,23) as entering the composition of a sacred perfume for God made by Moses, it must be some other fragrant plant, as Moses was in the middle of the desert.

Last edited:
Probably a mistranslation. Acorus calamus grows near streams, not in the desert.
And I'm pretty sure it orignates in Asia and was introduced to the mediterranean later than the egyptian era.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Uhhh... Egypt has streams... they grew crops and it was more fertile then, as opposed to now.

What gets me is the 6 months to mature properly. Given that calamus is listed and there's a time frame involved in perparation... sounds an awful lot like a cannabis mixture to me.

250F for 20 minutes when making HAO to activate it..... 6 months in egyptian heat.... possibly for the same reason? :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
I'm big into pre dynastic Egypt, and a follower of Osiris. The last back then was lush around the Nile, so hydro soil is right. It wasn't a desert back then.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I once read that before 1937 a good percentage of prfumes and colognes were made with the various terpenes from cannabis. Of course, I want to believe that but I don;t have any personal proof.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I once read that before 1937 a good percentage of prfumes and colognes were made with the various terpenes from cannabis. Of course, I want to believe that but I don;t have any personal proof.
Well, when you think about all the different smells that cannabis is capable of? Yeah... LOL C-99 perfume anyone? It's one of the only 'floral' scents that I actually like and it's so close to being 'not' cannabis smelling that it tickles my brain when I smell it. :)

Avinash.miles said:
very interesting and u got me curious..
Yeah... in my head it went something like "waaaiiiiit a second... never thought of that one before... hrmmmmmm" LOL

What other 'politically influenced' mistranslations are there?

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles: