What's new

whole house odor control

well, i bought this fixer upper to rent or use off site.

my problem is it's going to take me sometime to get this place fixed up, meaning i'll be spending alot of time here working.
so i decided to hook up a quick grow while ill here so often.
i don't have the time or the cash to seal this bedroom i'm using.. getting the electrical, plumbing new a/c has to come first..i'll be doing all the work myself so no one else will be here but i do have neighbors, not to close and sure don't want them smelling anything.

i'll be runnig 2k here 6k after the house is fixed up and the room can be sealed.

so my question is what's the best way to control the odor in here while the bedroom door is open?..

hate to say it but the brdm has to be open with lights on or it will get to hot in there and i don't have

i thought of an ona pail or maybe a scrubber but remember the door is open exposing the rest of the house. not sure how to use a scrubber with an open room.

any suggestions would help..

thegambler

Best odor control is not to let anyone in the house.......with the door wide open, there is no controlling the smell.

yerboyblue

Get a big enough scrubber for the house. At my house I have a scrubber for 2-600's that are flowering and my veg plants, the doors are hardly sealed, large gaps under the doors, and it keeps the smell down. Then again, the doors aren't wide open.

Can you possibly set up some kind of intake fan?

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fans + filters, as many as you can afford. I just added an 8" fan and filter on a speed control to my upstairs living room tonight myself. Everytime around harvest the house bumps out of control. I am in the boon docks but I get deliverys and shit. I have a huge can filter in the basement where I dry and I plan to add a 6" fan and filter to my office and to my downstairs gameroom.

Doesn't sound like you may be ready to spend that kind of cheddar on smell protection, so maybe it is not safe enough? An old trick is pinesol in a bucket with water and an airstone. You are doing construction and cleanup so your house reeks of pinesol, not to out of the ordinary. Unless it starts smelling like weed two. Lots of buckets setup like this will def do some damage, and change the solution as needed. Grow a low odor strain also.

touringfunkband

If it was my place I wouldn't mess with ona or anything else that just masks odor. The ona mixed with the smell of weed will just fill the house with an abnormal funk that's just a band-aid fix when for a couple hundred you could eliminate the odor.

Would you consider buying a used grow tent and setting it up temporary with an inline fan and a carbon scrubber? The cost is totally worth the piece of mind and even though your looking to run a sealed room with a lot of lights, you may find the tent useful in the future as an isolation room, or a clone room, or a mother tent, etc.

Food for thought..

watts

ohms
Veteran
Vaportek Optimum 4000 with the High Output Classic Neutral cartridge. It'll completely neutralize the odor, not mask. Problem solved.

thx guys great suggestions so far. a tent is kinda out of the question then i would need intake exhaust just too much atm.

PK, Watts, where should placement be for the fan and filter/scrubber be? in the doorway maybe?

my wife, brother and maybe my brother in law would be the only ones giving help inside the house. all deliveries will droppped in the driveway or porches.

it would be more for control so neighbors couldn't smell anything.

yerboyblue

^definitely the door way. I found the right placement with my scrubber really helped. It could take some trial and error as well.

i found the vaportek 4000 for 173.00 with a neutral cartridge..it states it covers up to 20,000 sf..

that sounds very cheap, my fan scrubber at home was about 500.00.

are you guys sure a vaportek would work well?

yerboyblue

that sounds a lot cheaper than a fan and scrubber. Place it outside the room so it doesn't affect the bud so much as if inside the room. Im not familiar with the vaportek but assume it's similar to ozone or ONA?

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
i wonder this as well. come harvest time my smells quite a bit to.

that sounds a lot cheaper than a fan and scrubber. Place it outside the room so it doesn't affect the bud so much as if inside the room. Im not familiar with the vaportek but assume it's similar to ozone or ONA?
YerBoy, what do you mean affect the bud?
did not know it would affect it?

yerboyblue

i wonder this as well. come harvest time my smells quite a bit to.

I figure if he buys the fan and scrubber he will have it for his expansion plans, and the other stuff will gather dust. That's why I also asked about an intake fan for cooling, or some other method like Ac. It would pay off when he expands.

yerboyblue

YerBoy, what do you mean affect the bud?
did not know it would affect it?

Like I said, not familiar with Vapotek, but the deodorizers I am familiar with like Ozone and Ona gel will "get into the bud" (for a lack of a better description). I left some finished bud that was bagged in plastic, in my car with an open can of ONA for a few hours. Patients said it smelled like perfume. Ozone, I can't compare quite as well as I haven't used it in awhile in flower rooms, but it took away as well. It is a powerful deodorant.

watts

ohms
Veteran
yeah man vaportek optimum 4000 is what you want. Make sure to get the High Output cartridge though, not the standard. They are about $80 and you replace them every 60-70 days. Hospitals and places use them.

The optimum 4000 is about $200 and the high output cartridge is around $80 so i dunno where you found all that for $173

Mines always running and it's perfect come drying/trimming time.

One will be plenty but if you wanna put one in bedroom and one living room, or wherever to make yourself feel better, then do it. They run very quiet.

yerboyblue

Personally, I think if you invested in the scrubber and fan you would use for 6k watts and put it in the doorway of the grow room, then closed the doors in the rest of the rooms, you would really keep the smell suppressed enough from the outside. If not and you could close the door, put an intake or A/C in the window and put a cheap small shed in front of the window, that would solve a lot. (assuming the room is facing a backyard)

yeah man vaportek optimum 4000 is what you want. Make sure to get the High Output cartridge though, not the standard. They are about $80 and you replace them every 60-70 days. Hospitals and places use them.

The optimum 4000 is about $200 and the high output cartridge is around $80 so i dunno where you found all that for $173

Mines always running and it's perfect come drying/trimming time.
hid hut hydro. 173.00 for the vaportek and forget what the cartridge ran. watts, does the vaportek 4000 put toxic vapors in the air? i don't want that.

yerboyblue how big a fan and scrubber do you think i need?
an a/c is out i don't think till i upgrade the panel the house could handle too much.
it's an odler house in the country that still has old bx cable for wire.lol. now that's old.
but yeah window faces the back yard and woods but still don't want light leaking out.

watts

ohms
Veteran
no toxins lol

looks like that hid hut has the high output cartridge for $60 and the optimum 4000 for $173. Never done business with them but thats a good price. The high output cartridges say they last 120 days, but for our use they usually last about 60-70 days

yerboyblue

Looking at the vaportek it doesn't seem toxic but seems like it releases fragrance, kind of like a bad ass frebreeze? Aromas that strong can effect your bud final quality. Watts, do you use vaportek the whole cycle or only at harvest? Longevity of exposure is a major factor with fragrances.

Far as the size of the scrubber, i don't know the room dimensions so can't calculate cfm. Some people would say a fan with enough cfm to do the room once every 5 minute, but i prefer big enough for every 2 minutes. Just works better for longer like that.