What's new

Garage with water heater and central heater/AC in it

Just got a new place, and the garage (where I'm planning on setting up my new grow room) has a water heater and central heater/AC unit inside.

My other rooms I've set up with negative pressure, pulling cold air from under the house. These rooms work perfectly.

I'm worried about producing negative pressure in this new garage, because the exhausts for the water heater and central heat/AC units would then have air being pulled in by the negative pressure, and I'm not sure how this will affect the operation of the two appliances when they are running. The air will be wanting to go in the wrong direction if I set up my normal "room".

Any suggestions, or anyone with experience with some advice would be greatly appreciated.

If they are gas/oil fired you will have problems. Also, if your renting, those are two things that are serviced quite often by landlords...so setting up in there might not be the best idea.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Basically... can you set up 'tents' or small 'rooms' inside the room?

Piping your cold air into the tent and then exhausting into the room should be just fine.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Building a room inside the garage is the option I think I'm going to go with, either that or build an enclosure for the heat/AC and water heater with it's own fresh air, separate from the garage.

No worries about the landlord, but I DO want to build a safe, functioning room. I want to set things of for the long run.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
nice name puff adder sounds like Duff Addler... wicked GNR ref

I like the idea of just sealing off the other appliances. Honestly a room within a room sounds great, but that more work then necessary. If you made it modular so that it could be broken down and then rebuilt without too much work go for it. Some of the best buds I ever smoked were made in a box within a room that had been through a few houses.

I

Iron_Lion

I wouldn't build anything too suspicious in case either the heater/ac or water heater needs to be serviced.

No worries about the appliance maintenance, I'd be doing any of that, plus, the landlord is totally cool and knows what's going on, he even offered to help!

If I built an enclosure for the central heat/AC and water heater (Both gas), how much fresh air do you think they'd need? Along the same wall, is the exhaust (4") for a dryer, if I put a small 4" fan on that, pushing air into the appliance enclosure, do you think that would be enough fresh air for the heat and water heater? They only need air for the burners.

Hurk

If you can run a 5 or 6 inch duct from outdoors to the furnace room you should be ok. The duct should terminate within a foot of the furnace burner, assuming the furnace is the higher btu appliance. Also you don't need a fan on the duct unless its a vertical run passing through more than one story of the house, then it needs to have a fan interlinked with the burner. According to the gas code where I live anyway.

mogrow

puff// i think that would work great, the applainces burn gas not oxygen, its the exhaust you have to get out. my furnace is in a small closed closet, code does require a vent in the door now, but i don't have one and it's working fine. i know several people you have there rooms in garages, usually plenty of room for a veg and flower room. rock that bitch holmes.

first time i saw a puff adder puff up it freaked me out, they're a cool snake.
peace mogrow

Hurk

For every cubic foot of gas burned the appliance needs about 10 cubic feet of air just for combustion. Where I live having a grill in the door is no longer sufficient. There needs to be air piped in to the furnace room from outside and also your not supposed to take combustion air from a garage or carport.

This room, initially, is going to be a big veg room, so odor will be low.

I think if I keep a neutral pressure, I shouldn't need to do anything special.

I'm thinking one 8" fan pulling cold air in from under the house with a speed control to fine-tune the pressure, and one 8" fan on a scrubber pushing air out of the garage. Adjust the intake fan speed control so there's a neutral pressure, and put both fans on a thermostat to maintain heat.

This should work OK I think.

This garage will be a big veg room that feeds my other places at first. Later I plan on blowing it up proper, 8-10 lights with a nice veg room to boot.

B

BrnCow

If that draws for the ac/heater from the garage, you might have a problem keeping it from smelling up the whole house and around the doors. If it is a tent inside of a garage, every air duct sucking from inside the tent will have to be filtered. But, hell, you know that...lol

The draw for the heat/AC is in the house, so air is sucked from inside the house, heated or cooled, and blown back into the house-independant. Air from the garage is only used for the furnace and water heater furnace, so I think I'll be OK there.

I'm going to install the fans and scrubber and check everything out, see if it works OK, and go from there.